• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America West

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DT- absolutely correct. That was pretty much how our station manager would relate. Most pax would "accept", very few would complain about the situation (s) to a supervisor.

Once again I am not for poor customer service by any means but folks give these people a break..

3 5 0

See that's the difference between Marines and other folks. We don't make excuses and we don't settle for less than excellent behavior because someone has other 'issues'. Maybe you oughta try our philosophy for once. So far it's produced over 200 years of EXCELLENCE with no complaints from the people we serve. Semper fi.....

How polite and friendly are you in stressfull situations such as an engine failure at V1 in the real world?

What!? That's one of the most ignorant analogies I've ever read.

So wht is SWA or jetBlue's secrets? They must have superhuman employees there. They must really pay them allot as I have NEVER had problems on that side.

Yeah, whatever. You guys are right. We should all just accept pi$$ poor service and $hitty attitudes. Heck, it's the American way, right? Why should we actually have the balls to expect any kind of mutual respect when we are only paying customers?

I think the next time the grocery clerk doesn't even acknowledge my existence after purchasing $200 worth of groceries, I'll just buy her/him a flower and say "it's OK, it'll all be alright".

It's no wonder why these people are a$$es, when you treat the customers like crap. Trash begets trash.

You know, I only mentioned one instence on a long trip. So I guess I should apply your philosophy to all three FAs, the gate agent in MCO and PHX, and the one FA on the connecting flight. I'll give them an A for consistency.

Hyper.....

Your attitude in that last post you made is 100% of the problem and 0% of the solution. If you brought that attitude to the check in counter on the flights that you have had trouble with it is no wonder why you were treated like the enemy.

Its human nature to exhibit a poor attitude toward people who have a poor attitude towards you. Next time your getting rude treatment take a minute to think of what kind of treatment you are giving to them. Maybe you were the problem?

Of the thousands of CSAs that I have delt with in my life I have yet to find one that has given me poor service. How do you explain that? Not all personalities are as plesant as others but I don't judge ones job performance on their personality.

Yea, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone attempted to turn it around. It's a lost argument anyway.

My "attitude" was simply an observation to your attempt at a relevant analogy. How does my persona while attempting to save my life in an emergency situation brought on by a mechanical defect even come close to the relevance of someone's lack of customer service while performing a job that is DESCRIBED as customer service?

As much as you'd like to believe otherwise, my attitude was more than friendly that day up until about the fourth rude encounter. Thanks anyway. Ever given some thought that it may be folks that are willing to accept subpar service and bad attitudes from people that breed this contempt? No, I didn't think so.

Not all personalities are as plesant as others but I don't judge ones job performance on their personality.

No, but you can judge my personality on that day and in general from a post. Pretty insightful.

Nice day.

Last edited:
Hyper,

I would like to place a picture of my dog in this site, how did you do that?? Oh were you expecting another comment on the subject of AWA? Naaa I'm done with that issue, just want to put up a picture now.

Sure. Take a digital picture and shrink it down to 150X150 pixels. Probably need some sort of photo program such as Paint Shop Pro or Camedia to do so. Then go to the user cp for your profile, hit "change avatar" and select the filename from your computer where you stored the picture.

If you can't shrink the picture, let me know. You can send it to me and I'll shrink it for you.

Am I allowed back in the sandbox?

Hey thanks man, you were never out of the box, it's just that sometimes the arguement turns into attacks and before that happens I just choose to get out and remain one of those who won't resort to insults.

WD.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2001/0611/105.html

America's Worst Airline?
Alan Farnham, Forbes Magazine, 06.11.01

We scoured tons of data on canceled flights, lost luggage, staff rudeness and more to find which carrier is worst at what. And the loser is...

... America West. Even in an industry rife with screwups, crummy service and dissembling, America West stands out as a paragon of badness. It ranks worst in customer complaints, worst in lost luggage, worst in cabin comfort and next-to-worst in on-time performance. It has one thing going for it: In denied boardings (bumping ticketed passengers because a flight is oversold), it is somewhat less bad than the average airline.

The FAA slammed it with a $5 million fine in 1998 for maintenance violations, the largest such fine ever levied. AmWest (nyse: AWA - news - people) later paid a reduced amount ($2.5 million), settling charges that included flying 41,000 flights using 17 planes that were overdue for structural inspection.

The AmWest scrapbook includes some doozies. The carrier has stranded Bruce Babbitt and broken stewardesses' legs (in an onboard mishap). It has belittled a blind woman and engaged in behavior that some passengers deem to be racial profiling. In one incident of air rage the perpetrator was found to be an America West pilot, traveling off-duty.

Yet AmWest is only the worst in a field crowded with incompetence. The major carriers have turned business travel into an inescapable evil--a hair shirt with wings. You call an airline and are told your flight will take off on time, only to arrive at the airport and be kept waiting for hours. The food is awful, when you can get any, and thousands upon thousands of bags are misplaced or lost (see Baggage, p. 108). Airline seats seem designed for stick figures (see Comfort; p. 110). Complain about any of this and you risk arrest (see box, Seething on a Jet Plane, p. 106).

Statistics on poor performance understate reality. What looks bad actually is worse. Carriers have four ways of defining when a jet leaves "on time"; one way logs a flight as punctual even if it sits for hours on the tarmac (see On Time, p. 115). In 1999, under pressure from Congress, the airlines made new "customer service commitments," but most don't go beyond what the law already requires. Prompt refunds? They've been mandated for two decades.

Relief won't come soon. Many problems are intractable: too few runways, too few airports, too many flights, outdated technology for air traffic control. The best a business traveler can do, for now, is to plot defensively. Toward that end we have identified which airlines are worst at what. If lost bags push you over the edge, read on and you'll know which carrier to shun.

By our measure, America West is worst overall (see "Methodology," p. 115), but your own weighting might be different. Go online to www.forbes.com/airlines, and an interactive version of these rankings will let you define your own worst (and best) carrier. Key in your priorities--comfort over complaints, or on-time arrivals ahead of baggage handling. Expanded charts rank all ten carriers in each performance category.
The FAA slammed it with a $5 million fine in 1998 for maintenance violations, the largest such fine ever levied. AmWest (nyse: AWA - news - people) later paid a reduced amount ($2.5 million), settling charges that included flying 41,000 flights using 17 planes that were overdue for structural inspection.

The AmWest scrapbook includes some doozies. The carrier has stranded Bruce Babbitt and broken stewardesses' legs (in an onboard mishap). It has belittled a blind woman and engaged in behavior that some passengers deem to be racial profiling. In one incident of air rage the perpetrator was found to be an America West pilot, traveling off-duty.

Yet AmWest is only the worst in a field crowded with incompetence. The major carriers have turned business travel into an inescapable evil--a hair shirt with wings. You call an airline and are told your flight will take off on time, only to arrive at the airport and be kept waiting for hours. The food is awful, when you can get any, and thousands upon thousands of bags are misplaced or lost (see Baggage, p. 108). Airline seats seem designed for stick figures (see Comfort; p. 110). Complain about any of this and you risk arrest (see box, Seething on a Jet Plane, p. 106).

Statistics on poor performance understate reality. What looks bad actually is worse. Carriers have four ways of defining when a jet leaves "on time"; one way logs a flight as punctual even if it sits for hours on the tarmac (see On Time, p. 115). In 1999, under pressure from Congress, the airlines made new "customer service commitments," but most don't go beyond what the law already requires. Prompt refunds? They've been mandated for two decades.

Relief won't come soon. Many problems are intractable: too few runways, too few airports, too many flights, outdated technology for air traffic control. The best a business traveler can do, for now, is to plot defensively. Toward that end we have identified which airlines are worst at what. If lost bags push you over the edge, read on and you'll know which carrier to shun.

By our measure, America West is worst overall (see "Methodology," p. 115), but your own weighting might be different. Go online to www.forbes.com/airlines, and an interactive version of these rankings will let you define your own worst (and best) carrier. Key in your priorities--comfort over complaints, or on-time arrivals ahead of baggage handling. Expanded charts rank all ten carriers in each performance category.

By our measure, America West is worst overall (see "Methodology," p. 115), but your own weighting might be different. Go online to www.forbes.com/airlines, and an interactive version of these rankings will let you define your own worst (and best) carrier. Key in your priorities--comfort over complaints, or on-time arrivals ahead of baggage handling.

In all fairness to AWA, they have improved greatly since that article was written- and the other majors have greatly declined.

In my job I unfortunately commercial more than I fly. I used to hate flying on ata, airtran ect.. but now they have better service than Delta. At least they try! I definitely see the both sides but I think most of the problem is having 25 year veterans as FAs who dont care anymore-"and it shows". I believe Some of the foreign carriers have mandatory retirement at age 30-which is bad for them but at least keeps the service fresh.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back