America West Pilots-Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tab F/O:

I'll even agree with you that Riddle has produced some of the biggest aviation geeks on this earth, but I don't think any of them can touch you. I could care less that you pay for training. I've flown with some ex-Gulfstream pilots who were good guys. I don't agree with what you guys have done(pft), but that's just my opinion. The biggest thing I'm concerned with when I fly with someone is if I can actually stand sitting next to them for four days. In your case, that would be a definite NO!

You will find that your little smart a$$ attitude is going to make you the joke of any pilot group you join. Every company has a few of your kind, and I'm glad that you guys exist. Without having people such as yourself to rip on all day, I just don't know what we would do.

Best case scenario is you'll be mocked by all with whom you work. Worst case for you will be having your mouth get you fired. Either way, you should provide some entertainment for all of us.

Thanks!

mvi,

There are a lot worse places to work. They have some recent improvements in their contract including a modest B fund and small pay raises. They have lengthened their reserve callout
(I think it is now 2 hours), and most importantly have the most competent management team they have ever had. Time to upgrade is always extremely variable but no way will it be less than 5-7 years unless they undertake a serious growth plan.

The majority of their pilots have solid backgrounds and are fun to fly with. Having said that, there is a percentage of pilots with huge chips on their shoulder, and you will fly with them (350 seems to be one example). THey can turn a four day trip into eternity.

Do NOT plan on commuting to this job (iaw you will live in PHX to have any QOL) and you could have a decent career here - especially if the majors do not recover in a significant way.

Just my Opinion,
murk

Tab, you need to do all of us a favor and just shut up. You have no business on this thread. As someone who is very interested in working at America West, I was hoping (like mvi) that this would be an informative thread, not an avenue for your worthless dribble.

Please get over yourself. You're an unfortunate byproduct of the pilot population.

I'm pretty sure 350 doesn't work for HP either? I think he's at Mesa...correct?

MVI,

I've heard 10% growth per year for the forseeable future. They just got a 7% raise and will get another 4% in a couple years. Work rules...something like 5.25 per day rig and 1 for 2 on duty time. That's way better than my company. Good 401K matching. There's also some sort of yearly contribution kind of like comair's system but a higher percentage. They're now on a 12 bid period year instead of the 28 day cycle for bidding/schedules. No more positive or negative banking of anything above your gaurantee...so if you have 90 credit hrs in a month, that's what you get paid instead of it going into a bank. Apparently, there's now the option to drop your scheudle down to a certain limit (60 hrs??) so if you want to fly less (i.e. more time off, less pay), that's now an option.

FO pay is around 38$ to start and 50 something the next year...tops out at 80 something??

FO for 5-8 years depending on growth, etc...at least that's what i'm guessing.

Schedules are built by preferential bidding. So it's really, what you like and what your seniority can hold. I would assume that a mix of 3 and 4 day trips with 14-18 days off per month would be pretty common and is they type of schedule that the people I know there fly.

Time on reserve would be totally up to growth and hiring. 2 years or so?

For me, living in Phoenix already and no intentions to ever leave, America West is an absolute ideal. My connections there love it. The company has been know to hire some low timers with a good internal LOR. Pretty much anywhere you go, though, there's the "i hate my job" "I hate this company" types. And there's also the Tab "wholier than though" types that somehow make it through the system and no one knows why. That's just the airlines.

For a lot of people America West isn't desirable, but for some of us it's a great fit because we love this part of the country and the flying that HP does...these are quality of life factors that are important to us...more so than big pensions, huge paychecks, etc. There's nothing more i'd like than to fly a "bus" for Cactus and drive to and from work. I look forward to working with y'all sooner than later.

Hope that helps, and FYI, all of the info in here is strictly from memory...but most of it should be pretty accurate.

PositiveRate:
350DRIVER is a new-hire at HP. Also, your memory is pretty darn good and your information is pretty accurate.

mvi:
As it's already been said, there was a time that HP was struggling to have a happy workforce. Over the past few years, it has steadily improved. As with any airline, there are a bunch of great folks and a few culls (those that need to be cut from the herd).
Speaking from experience, reserve (on the B757) is "expected" to last around a couple of years (histroically). However, as a pretty junior FO (< 1 year), I will be holding a line next month with 14 days off (15 if you don't count the PT).

As I've already told so many folks, "I'm happier than a pig in poop, here at America West".

Last edited:
Lines for March went junior. Airbus lines were awarded to pilots on property total of 6 mos. from date of hire and 737 and 757 about a year. Junior lines are 13 days off in a 31 day month and around 85-90 hours. Of course, you don't have to be a lineholder- I got reserve because thats the way I like it.

Can someone explain that thing about being able to drop your line down below gaurantee. Is that a staffing availble thing or is a contractual gaurantee?

Sounds like reserve isn't nearly as long as I thought it would be. How is it on reserve anyway? A lot of flying? are there different types of callouts besides the 2 hr one?

Thanks.

Someone posted that commuting was not much of an option at HP. I have a good friend who has been there for 7 years and commutes from Chicago . . . never heard him complain. He usually commutes in the same day he starts, and finishes up on a red-eye or EMO, form what he has told me.

Dam I miss pref bidding. What % of trips are 1-2-3-4-5 etc? Does it matter what plane for the length of trips? Which is junior/senior?

Thanks

Steve

Heavy Set said:

Cut the guy some slack. This is an informational forum. True that he should always do a search, but providing a little info on your part instead of slamming him wouldn't be a bad thing.

MVI,

I don't work there but I hear a lot of great things. The company has had a rocky history, but things are getting better. Flying an A319/20 out of sunny PHX wouldn't be so bad... PM a guy named Whisky Driver (use the Search function above to find him) and he will give you the info. you are looking for - and he seems very happy to be there... I know quite a few people there and most are pretty optimistic about the future as things continue to improve.

Hey HS. I was lurking in the background but decided not post because I thought this was turning into the TAB line!!! Couple of things to add there is a post down the string that say commuting is not poss. Untrue many many commuters and it works well. Second the pay raise was 11% not 7%. The growth continues, I just left PHX this evening and saw that on monday a class of 31 yup that's right 31 new hires will start. HP is starting to move in the right direction and with a little time I think that it will be much better than it was in the past.

WD.

Latest resources

Back