• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I The Only One Left?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Personally, I get a kick out of it when overnighting at the IAD Hilton and the van drops us guys/gals going to Signature first before dropping the airline crews at the terminal, you can cut the tension and angst with a knife. I once got a "death glare" from a very pissed off UAL crew, and just smiled back and got off the bus, handed the driver a 5 and walked away. Maybe if the airline guys tipped a bit better, you might get dropped off first...hmmmm.

FWIW, I tipped at the regionals when I was making crap wages, I don't believe that "I don't make enough money, so therefore it's okay if I don't tip" crap. Unfortunately, many airline crews are cheap and don't tip, and subsequently the van drivers don't expect much from airline crews, so it works in our favor because we'll continue to get preferential service. If you don't tip, don't expect to be picked up and dropped off on time, but by all means come on to FI and bitch about it, you're bound to find someone who may care.

Who cares. More money for food and beer for an extra 5 minute wait to get from signature to the terminal. The only time the van driver is useful is for food, yes then it's expected to tip especially late nights.

I have the money to tip but I refuse to pay for work. The company is responsible for our transportation, not me. It's not my responsiblity to augment the companies payments to the hotel and its employees.

Isn't that what you consider per diem for? Incidental expenses not covered by the company? (i.e. meals, shoe shines, cleaning of clothes while on a trip) If you apply that same logic, do you stiff the waitress on the tip when you eat out on a trip? I'm guessing you probably are eating ramen noodles, and tuna fish in your hotel room, so that probably doesn't apply.

Tipping is a deduction separate from filing per diem expenses, when you pay taxes. It is not what perdiem is for. Otherwise you're creating a double deduction out of one event (ie tipping deduction & non-taxable per diem deductions). Per diem is understood to include the additional expenses incurred living away from home—basically having two residences.

If you read my previous post, you will see that I do tip servers very well. I waited tables for a number of years. I chose where/how I want to eat. That is my responsibility. It is the companie's responsibility to transport me to the hotel for legal rest. It is not my responsibility to pay for said service.

PS I'm not a slam clicker either, ;) There's nothing better than throwing back a few brews at Dinasours in ROC, etc. I quit packing food years ago. Nice assumption though......

Last edited:
This thread is unreal. What a bunch of children. The van drivers hate you guys no matter what because a) you have miserable jobs and resulting attitudes and b) $1 is an insult but at least a nice gesture.

Oh, and yes, you should be tipping the hotel maids too.

Tipping is a deduction separate from filing per diem expenses, when you pay taxes. It is not what perdiem is for.

Government per diem rates that are used for airline crew tax deductions include meal and incidental expenses. Tipping is an incidental expense. Therefore it IS what per diem is for, whether you choose to spend it on tipping or not.

I'd like to add one more to the list of things that will not get you a tip.

If you drive like a crazy ass mofo, weaving in and out of traffic in your high center of gravity hotel van, you aren't getting any of my money.

Straight from a federal website...

Tips to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses and others on vessels, and hotel servants in foreign countries are included as part of incidental expenses covered by per diem. Tips related to meals are covered as part of your per diem meals expenses. Reimbursement of tips when authorized for the use of taxicabs will be allowed, but is not included as an incidental expense.

Straight from a federal website...

Tips to porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel maids, stewards or stewardesses and others on vessels, and hotel servants in foreign countries are included as part of incidental expenses covered by per diem. Tips related to meals are covered as part of your per diem meals expenses. Reimbursement of tips when authorized for the use of taxicabs will be allowed, but is not included as an incidental expense.

Now there is only one excuse...you're cheep!

I've always thought this would be fun to try. At the end of the flight, turn your hat upside down, and throw a few bucks into it. As everyone deplanes, see how many tips you can collect.

Latest resources

Back