• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I ready for a regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is why I have not gone to the regionals. You can not support a family, which I have.

On the original note, if they will hire you, take it. I was low time for my last job by about 2,500 hours. I took it and learn a lot from it. For my experience level, I was told I was doing better than most previous pilots with triple the flight time. You can learn a lot from others around you with substanially more experience, if you have the right attitude.

Last edited:
I'm not writing about regional pilots, my friend (although this just happens to be on the regionals board), I am writing about corporate and charter pilots.

I am sorry you don't make squat. YOU made that choice - no one held a gun to YOUR head and made YOU go to send in YOUR resume, go to the interview, then go to INDOC and take a checkride. If you didn't know what you were getting yourself into, then you have either been under a rock or are waaayyy too stupid to be operating an aluminum tube of death with seventy lives behind you at .82 mach. Quit your whining, be a man, go fly your trip safely, and go home to your family. If you don't like your compensation, find another vocation - that's what will improve the pay - supply and demand. Microecon 1-0-fukking-1.

As long as guys keep taking jobs so they can walk through the terminal with their cool uniform on and be able to call themselves jet pilots or rely upon tips to augment their income, the "race to the bottom" as far as public/management perception, as well as compensation shall continue.

I used to be a regional pilot, too; I made a life choice to get out.

My point is this: the "race to the bottom" as far as the public's perception of our profession goes for guys to be out there taking tips - this practice is so blue collar, it should be sickening to anyone with any pride whatsoever.

If you want to be treated and looked upon as a professional, walking around with your hand out like a freaking upper East Side doorman damn sure isn't going to help.

If you're an airline pilot and you're standing there taking the blame for the landing as the passengers embark, then you accept a tip from one of those passengers (as you suggest you would willingly do), God help you, panhandler.

Last edited:
I dont think anybody is walking around with their hands out asking for a tip. That is completely ridiculous Ernest. I havent, and never will deny a tip. I work my a$$ off loading and unloading the plane, serving these people, and I think its there way of showing their appreciation. Ive made upwards to $1500 during a 4 day trip, and to deny that is completely assinine. Now if you want to deny the tip thats fine, that just means I get to keep 100% instead of the normal 50%. :beer:

I will agree to disagee. I just can't participate.

I do hope, however, you are sure to spread some of that tip love to the line guys who are out there truly busting their ass.

If you don't like your compensation, find another vocation - that's what will improve the pay - supply and demand. Microecon 1-0-fukking-1.

If you want to be treated and looked upon as a professional, walking around with your hand out like a freaking upper East Side doorman damn sure isn't going to help.

Supply and demand?? Apparently that works in every other industry. When they can't find the talent they are looking for they attempt to increase the attractiveness of the position. But the airline industry just refuses to be normal. They can't fill classes to their liking nor staff their airlines appropriately so what do they do? They just lower standards to the gutter so that anyone with a multi-comm gets interviews and potentially hired. Guys were deemed unqualified to get hired 4 years ago at 1500 hours but now all of a sudden 500 and 100 makes one qualified now? This does not seem reasonable to me.

And the doorman?? Haaa!! There is another "unprofessional" that gets paid well above what a regional pilot earns. Oh and skycaps..they rake it in as well!! I just don't get it.

sad...

Airlines are hiring at those times? Holy ********************! I'm outta the loop! And I do interviews! I know we don't even go that low for interns.

If they will hire you, go for it!

deleted...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back