• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I ready for a regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you meet the minimums you're ready. You'll learn more in the first month on line than you've learned up till now.

They publish minimum requirements for a reason.

Go for it.

Gup

The real question is...

I'm at 390 tt and 20 me. Am I ready to fly a plane on a 30 minute ETE into thunderstorms, a caution message on the EICAS, a captain running the QRH while I fly and work the radios into the busiest airport in the world, brief and execute a CAT II approach, and have dinner with the family the same night?

-Brett

I disagree. The real question is are you ready to spend 18 plus days a month on the road, with constant 12-16 hour duty days while being paid for as few as 5 due to the unconscionable sit times the screw planners put into the schedules, 5 legs a day with as many as 4 plane changes, never operating on time, always late to depart, late to arrive, working weekends, holidays and missing just about every important event at home for a company that will pay you like an uneducated, highschool dropout living in a van down by the river getting high every night, getting put up in crappy hotels with no other consideration but cost to the company, getting pay cuts every year because your contractual pay raises do not come close to keeping up with inflation AKA the cost of living, all the while dealing with a management team that thinks you should devote your life to their crappy little airline and crappy little job, and be as happy as a clam doing because you get to fly a barbie jet around the sky...whoopie!!!

I can continue but I think the point has been made. Son, get a REAL job that pays you a REAL living and use your dedication and devotion you obviously have to pursue this racket, and do something where you are considered part of a valued team that treats you accordingly, such as with some respect. In other words a real career.

Airlines are hiring at those times? Holy ********************! I'm outta the loop! And I do interviews! I know we don't even go that low for interns.

If they will hire you, go for it!

pipejockey: It seems as though you might have missed my point so I'll keep it simple. Quality of life aside, being "prepared" (for any flying job) means being ready for when junk hits the fan. Time in your logbook isn't sufficient enough evidence to prove whether or not you are truly "prepared".

In other words, QOL means d*ck when you're a smoking hole in the ground.

-Brett

Unfortunately, flight instructors only teach what they have been taught. And for the most part that's General Aviation.

I can see some frustration coming from folks who logged over 2000 hours before they even smelled JETA, but really, everyone has to learn somewhere at some time how to transition from GA to an airline, and really, most of you would have taken a jet job at 400 hours if you had the opportunity.

If you want to blame the airlines for creating this mess (for not paying more to attract more experienced pilots), I can see your point. But I don't agree with dogging on low time pilots for taking advantage of opportunities, and calling it "babysitting." If they have a bad attitude, that's a different subject, but otherwise, a little mentoring will go a lot futher than all this belittling of the guy in the right seat.

Unfortunately, flight instructors only teach what they have been taught. And for the most part that's General Aviation.

I can see some frustration coming from folks who logged over 2000 hours before they even smelled JETA, but really, everyone has to learn somewhere at some time how to transition from GA to an airline, and really, most of you would have taken a jet job at 400 hours if you had the opportunity.

If you want to blame the airlines for creating this mess (for not paying more to attract more experienced pilots), I can see your point. But I don't agree with dogging on low time pilots for taking advantage of opportunities, and calling it "babysitting." If they have a bad attitude, that's a different subject, but otherwise, a little mentoring will go a lot futher than all this belittling of the guy in the right seat.

That's a good point too.

I disagree. The real question is are you ready to spend 18 plus days a month on the road, with constant 12-16 hour duty days while being paid for as few as 5 due to the unconscionable sit times the screw planners put into the schedules, 5 legs a day with as many as 4 plane changes, never operating on time, always late to depart, late to arrive, working weekends, holidays and missing just about every important event at home for a company that will pay you like an uneducated, highschool dropout living in a van down by the river getting high every night, getting put up in crappy hotels with no other consideration but cost to the company, getting pay cuts every year because your contractual pay raises do not come close to keeping up with inflation AKA the cost of living, all the while dealing with a management team that thinks you should devote your life to their crappy little airline and crappy little job, and be as happy as a clam doing because you get to fly a barbie jet around the sky...whoopie!!!

I can continue but I think the point has been made. Son, get a REAL job that pays you a REAL living and use your dedication and devotion you obviously have to pursue this racket, and do something where you are considered part of a valued team that treats you accordingly, such as with some respect. In other words a real career.
Don't listen to pipejockey,he probably is just a disgruntled failure and doesn;t want to see you take his old job. Go For it...

Riddle Education:

Always a Riddle issue with you isn't it? Riddle wasn't my first choice. I was medically discharged from the Air Force Academy after suffering nerve damage in my shoulder (suprascapular neuropathy) and then finished my education at Riddle. I guess I'm a tool as well huh?

It appears that you are the real tool for always making such rash statements and generalizations about Riddle grads all the time.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to justify that Riddle grads fit a certain persona constantly on this board, well then more power to you I guess.

I personally find it degrading and I'm sure a large majority of other successful Riddle grads that have worked hard throughout their education, training, and careers do as well.

All of us have different backgrounds as far as education and training go. Who cares where you went? I don't understand how you can categorize a group of pilots from a certain school as different from another group from where you attended school. I'm sure you have your share of dorks, tools, super pilots from SIU as well. Riddle has a much bigger flight program, thus it's logical that you'll run into more of them that fit the persona you always describe which, overall, is a very small percentage.

I do agree with Gulfstream in your list though. That's a whole different league than any 4 year college program.

Last edited:
Don't listen to pipejockey,he probably is just a disgruntled failure and doesn;t want to see you take his old job. Go For it...

Before you start throwing personal insults around to someone you don't know, why don't you at least tell me what part of my statements were not true? And you are right about me not wanting the original poster to take my old job. Why you ask? Because it sucked!!! I wish I had the resources available to me that people have today when considering getting into this racket. I had to go it alone not knowing anyone in the industry and before internet and message boards.

The least you can do after disparaging me by calling me a failure is to tell me what part of my statements were untrue? Is it the 18 days on the road? 12-16 hour duty days? Or could it be getting paid like the highschool dropout living in a van down by the river getting high every night? I don't think you can refute any of that unless you work for maybe 1 of the 5 half way decent airlines that exist out there. And the chances for most of us to make it to those airlines is little to none. These youngsters need to be realistic and realize the regionals will most likely be it for them.

I flew corporate for a few yrs. before skw. The owner ran a construction company - but had grown up in southern California surfing his whole life. He was 50 yrs. old back in the mid 90's. He called everyone Dude (if he liked you). If he didn't you then became a "peice of sh#t" . Both of these terms are now a big part of my vocabulary.

I laugh because I still call my FO's "Dude". Does this qualify me ? I still have enough hair to put gel in- but choose not to at 43.

Good luck with your job search ...... Dude.

Latest resources

Back