• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am I ready for a regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It could be if the recession does hit that a drop in air travel will not provide the loads to support ML aircraft. In such case, expect a downgrade of many routes to smaller planes. After 9-11 everyone was spelling the doom of the regionals when in fact the regionals were grown to preserve market share when there was not enough demand to fill ml aircraft.

It is true that seat-mile costs are high on an RJ. But it makes more sense to fly 50 pax on a 50-seater than a 150-seater.

Regional checklist.

Low Time:

IPOD:

Backpack:

Oakleys:

Lots of Hairgel:

Parents basement:

Riddle Education:

Gulfstream Academy graduate:

Say dude alot:

If you can check six of the nine boxes, then the answer would be yes, you are ready for a regional.

back pack and say dude lot, goodthing im a freight captain. 2 out of 9 doesnt cut it.

20 whole hours of Multi...LOL...ask yourself if you would trust your parents and your friends to someone with your experience inthe cockpit.

I sure as hell don't want to be with someone with your emminent qualifications should the poo poo hit the fan on a dark and stormy night going into ORD or LGA.

What a stupid FKN question.

Go get lost in some IFR with an inop gyro, lost comms and minimum fuel. You should be ready by then.

Hey everyone, just looking for some advice...

My Times are: 390 TT 20 ME

I've got my ATP written scheduled, along with my 1st class medical during the 1st week of February. I've already got a radio operators license....

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL. But my family lives in Boston, MA (free housing)

Which regionals would be of interest to me? (so far I've looked at: Eagle and Colgan. Any others based on my times?

I was also wondering if anyone could help me with a resume. If you could PM me and look over it. (just wasent sure where to put a few items)

I don't have enough life insurance!!!

Well, Lakes has kids with that kind of time flying into TEX on IOE, so... yeah. In answer to the original question, instead of going online and posting to a board filled with malcontent regional pilots who hate low-timers, why not ask one the experienced pilots around you who actually know what you're capable of. Those numbers you posted are pretty unimpressive, but I got hired with not much more time than you've got. I was as useless as any 300-hour wonder when I got to ground school, but I worked my ass off keeping up with the learning curve. As much as I've improved since I got to GLA, I'd recommend low-time guys such as youself work toward a turboprop job in your home area where you're not being babysat by a ton of glass (in your case, rhymes with "Dolgan"). Or do some more FLL to Nassau flying and wait a year or so for a decent job.

You can get hired if you've got a certain amount of work ethic, maturity and talent. You can avoid pissing people off by checking off as few items on the above checklist as possible. Since the day I started, I've only been guilty of one (and my time's going up fast).

Go get lost in some IFR with an inop gyro, lost comms and minimum fuel. You should be ready by then.

C'mon, AMF. Not everyone had the opportunity to train on planes as ********************ty as the ones you and I did.

Regional checklist.

Low Time:

IPOD:

Backpack:

Oakleys:

Lots of Hairgel:

Parents basement:

Riddle Education:

Gulfstream Academy graduate:

Say dude alot:

If you can check six of the nine boxes, then the answer would be yes, you are ready for a regional.

Riddle Education should count for at least 5 points....

Last edited:
I'll try and throw in a non sarcastic response.

The airline world is different. Are you ready? The answer is an "probably not." Will you get hired? Most likely.

It isn't the number of hours you have that makes the difference, really. The military routinely puts "low time" pilots behind the wheel of millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of pounds of airplane.

I fly with a lot of low time guys, and by and large they have terrific attitudes and learn very fast. I respect that; I don't know that I could have done the same at 250 hours. I remember my first airline was a tall drink of water, so to speak, at 2500 hours. But, as good as the attitudes are, they are not as strong of an asset to me as someone who came from the Part 135 or CFIing world.

A word about CFIs. I can tell almost instantly who has been an instructor and who hasn't. Low time pilots who have been instructors have superior decision making skills and better "big picture" situational awareness than pilots who have not taught.

Anyhow, best of luck. My opinion is just that, and is worth exactly what you paid for it!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back