ALPA Unit 2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
A big misconception and deep insult. Don't talk about what you don't know.

The filet mignon is a scooby snack compared to the value and work that local reps do for thier pilots. If ALPA reps were able to bill the membership for the hourly work they did, you'd glady trade it all for a steak and a round of golf.

Some ALPA reps put 15 hours of work in a week. Let's say the average pay at your previous regional was $60/hr. That is $900 a week of value that the membership is getting from that volunteer. Now.... you want to insult ALPA volunteers by calling them out on a $25 steak during a working dinner!

Incredulous!!!

This one I can't let go. Because you know what? YOU'RE A VOLUNTEER. I have no problem with the occassional expenditure here and there. I do have issues when I see reps (at any airline) using dues for booze, strip joints, and other excessive "pleasures." I also have issues when I see elected volunteers working the system to get more pay.

Personally I can say that my MEC did a pretty good job of our finances. I know because I've seen the books. I also hold no grudge against my own MEC/LEC- they were great people to work with and did an incredible job.

I also think that I am a bit "in the know" about what an ALPA volunteer goes through. I personally chaired a 115 member committee (Pilot2Pilot), and served as the communications chair for a while. I oversaw the distribution of materials for several roadshows as well. You know what? In most instances, those so called volunteers are PAID for their service (unless your MEC just kicks them to the side). Our biggest budget item was flight loss pay for union work.

Now before you jump down my throat, I know that reps spend a lot of time and effort without reimbursement. And you're right, they do deserve the occasional celebratory dinner from time to time. However you tell me that within ALPA as a whole there's not excessive discretionary spending going on and I can't help but laugh. I KNOW otherwise because I've seen it in other MECs and at the national level.

Flyerjosh said:
This one I can't let go. Because you know what? YOU'RE A VOLUNTEER. I have no problem with the occassional expenditure here and there. I do have issues when I see reps (at any airline) using dues for booze, strip joints, and other excessive "pleasures." I also have issues when I see elected volunteers working the system to get more pay.

Personally I can say that my MEC did a pretty good job of our finances. I know because I've seen the books. I also hold no grudge against my own MEC/LEC- they were great people to work with and did an incredible job.

I also think that I am a bit "in the know" about what an ALPA volunteer goes through. I personally chaired a 115 member committee (Pilot2Pilot), and served as the communications chair for a while. I oversaw the distribution of materials for several roadshows as well. You know what?
Now before you jump down my throat, I know that reps spend a lot of time and effort without reimbursement. And you're right, they do deserve the occasional celebratory dinner from time to time. However you tell me that within ALPA as a whole there's not excessive discretionary spending goiIn most instances, those so called volunteers are PAID for their service (unless your MEC just kicks them to the side). Our biggest budget item was flight loss pay for union work.ng on and I can't help but laugh. I KNOW otherwise because I've seen it in other MECs and at the national level.

A contridicting post.....

You say money is being used for booze and strip bars...

OK.... I have a problem with this too. And so does ALPA. So do you have a problem with individuals or ALPA? Which is it?

But yet you insist on a return back hand slap, by saying as a volunteer, giving up your time should also mean spending money out of your pocket....

It isn't a celebratory dinner... it is called three square meals a day. If one does work, do they get to eat? MEC Chairman says thanks for your hard work...go pay for your own meals and return tomorrow, we got more work to do....

In most instances, those so called volunteers are PAID for their service (unless your MEC just kicks them to the side). Our biggest budget item was flight loss pay for union work.

You just don't get it.... but yet you insist on being irresponsible. Flight Pay Loss is one for one compensation. If a volunteer has to fly that day and their is ALPA work to be done, the MEC asked the company to remove that pilot for the flight schedule. Now, the pilot still gets paid by the company and the company has to get another the pilot. Now the company is paying twice for the same work. Thus, ALPA reimburses the company. Now, the pilot that volunteered to do ALPA works still gets his pay MINUS per deim!

MINUS per deim! So do you mind if the membership buys him lunch and dinner? Is that too much too ask!

Why should ALPA volunteers have to donate thier time and MONEY! Your lack of gratitude is beyond civility....

Finally, if you have examples of ALPA volunteers abusing the system then let's hear it. Yes I am calling you out. What airline? What committee? When? Let's hear some specifics so we know you know something and not just fabricating to make yourself sound creditable.

And if you have ceditable facts, then deal with it decreetly. All your post does is feed fodder to the ALPA cynics and haters. They read your bile and buy into it.

I question your professionalism.

I do have issues when I see reps (at any airline) using dues for booze, strip joints, and other excessive "pleasures." I also have issues when I see elected volunteers working the system to get more pay.

And if there are abuses, then report them. If your gov't officials abuse the system do you denounce the entire US of A? Get real.

Also, if you saw ALPA Reps at strips bars or drinking booze, where you there when he/she submitted his expense form? I doubt it. So an ALPA rep volunteers his time, goes to a strip bar, and you automatically assume ALPA is paying for it. So, volunteers, when giving thier free time, should not do anything else cause they might be accused of working the system. Don't eat, don't drink, don't buy a gift for your wife, cause it might look devious...

Maybe you don't understand volunteerism. For example, when an event is held and volunteers are asked to help out.... usually the requesting organization buys the volunteers lunch/dinner and over night stays. Is that too much to ask...?

I guess for you it is.... And as a prior volunteer for you to continue to insult says more about you than ALPA and its hard working volunteers....

I am completely disgusted....

Latest resources

Back