Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyerjosh

I love Flightinfo.com
So here's my thought on the subject. We all know that the admin staff at ALPA is striking and that they want competitive salaries (which in the DC area runs in the vicinity of between 35-70K depending on the company and the particular job set for admin workers).

What I want to know is WHY does ALPA employ so many admin staff in Northern VA in the first place? It seems rather silly to me that Herndon is the corporate headquarters of ALPA.

Now before you all jump on me about the whole political organization thing, let me say that I understand that ALPA needs to have a Washington DC presence. But isn't that what the downtown offices are for?

Why not move all of the admin functions (like MEC support and membership and newsletter--- anything not politically affiliated) to somewhere cheaper?

I'm all for competitive wages and fair salaries, but there also has to be some fiscal responsibility on the part of the union (it is after all membership dues that pay these salaries). If the job can be done in a smaller city (say Richmond, Albany, or even Bismarck, ND) why not? In this day and age of internet and teleconference, there's no reason that support staff needs to be in DC- besides how often do the execs interact with the desk jockies in Herndon anyway?

If ALPA were to move a lot of these functions elsewhere I bet there would be significant savings in both labor and real estate costs.

Just a thought...

Flyerjosh said:
So here's my thought on the subject. We all know that the admin staff at ALPA is striking and that they want competitive salaries (which in the DC area runs in the vicinity of between 35-70K depending on the company and the particular job set for admin workers).

What I want to know is WHY does ALPA employ so many admin staff in Northern VA in the first place? It seems rather silly to me that Herndon is the corporate headquarters of ALPA.

Now before you all jump on me about the whole political organization thing, let me say that I understand that ALPA needs to have a Washington DC presence. But isn't that what the downtown offices are for?

Why not move all of the admin functions (like MEC support and membership and newsletter--- anything not politically affiliated) to somewhere cheaper?

I'm all for competitive wages and fair salaries, but there also has to be some fiscal responsibility on the part of the union (it is after all membership dues that pay these salaries). If the job can be done in a smaller city (say Richmond, Albany, or even Bismarck, ND) why not? In this day and age of internet and teleconference, there's no reason that support staff needs to be in DC- besides how often do the execs interact with the desk jockies in Herndon anyway?

If ALPA were to move a lot of these functions elsewhere I bet there would be significant savings in both labor and real estate costs.

Just a thought...

Amen on the real estate front. I can only imagine how much that Herndon office building they have is worth. Even if they are renting it, I'm sure they're paying a boatload, since anything in Northern VA is mega-expensive. That Northern VA cost most definitely carries over to the countless other business expenses there are in the area, including labor. I'm sure they could get equally qualified staff somewhere else stateside.

Last edited:
When ALPA was formed by a UAL pilot named Behnke he set up shop in Chicago. But he spent over 50% of his time in DC. ALPA realized the need for a DC presence. If you want to play ball with the players you have to go to the field. The field doesn't come to you. (unless you are Chuck Norris)

In addition Behnke wanted to build his own ALPA building and went overboard with the plans and specifications. All of you cynics would be all over ALPA like a cheap suit for being excessive on a grandiose building. If you have been to the Herndon or even the DC building you will see it isn't very posh. Quite plain jane in my opinion. Besides if the buidling was beautiful, again you cynics would be whining in your Wheaties daily....

ALPA actually made some good real estate decisions a few back and the Herndon building is a great deal for the Association. While you may think having the Herndon Admin building in Minot , ND is a good idea, there are many times when the staff is used in person and directly....

So, how much should ALPA spend on airfare to shuttle staffers from Minot, ND to Herndon or wherever... How much on hotels? Per deim? As I said before that Herndon bldg is pretty cheap becuase of some good moves.

Finally, respect that there are guys that are paid to manage these issues on a regular basis 40+ hours a week, so I am not sure what a casual flightinfo user can offer, especially when he doesn't have all the facts.

How'd you like a pax to come up to the cockpit and tell you how to run your ship simply based on back seat sensory preceptions?

Fly your jets... and let the ALPA staffers and management types do what they do best... addressing the Agenda of the Air Line Pilots.

Don't crap where you eat....

Finally, I am not privy to any special information. Most of what I know I have learned from reading ALPA's history and working with my elected leadership. Something any ALPA pilot can do.... if they choose...

Last edited:
By the way, Unit 2 and Unit 1 staff are working in MEC offices all over the country, not just Herndon.

How'd you like a pax to come up to the cockpit and tell you how to run your ship simply based on back seat sensory preceptions?

ATC does it all the time ... and they aint in d'back.

And you let them?

That seems to be an ongoing argument of mine, why ATC tells me how to fly the plane. To answer your question... NO!

I want to know... why do we thank them all the time? I rarely thank them, for crying out loud, we are paying their bills.

Trust me, I'm very aware of the Herndon building. ACO had our MEC offices there and I spent a good amount of time in and out of that building...

However there are a lot of staff functions that I think could be moved away from DC. Would ALPA still need a DC presence? Definately, however a great number of the people that work there have no interaction with ALPA execs through face to face contact.

Simply put a lot of the administration of the organization could be moved to a cheaper location. Real estate isn't the only consideration (That building is worth several million dollars by the way). Salaries, costs of living, costs of business and many other factors come into play.

Flyerjosh said:
Trust me, I'm very aware of the Herndon building. ACO had our MEC offices there and I spent a good amount of time in and out of that building...

However there are a lot of staff functions that I think could be moved away from DC. Would ALPA still need a DC presence? Definately, however a great number of the people that work there have no interaction with ALPA execs through face to face contact.

Simply put a lot of the administration of the organization could be moved to a cheaper location. Real estate isn't the only consideration (That building is worth several million dollars by the way). Salaries, costs of living, costs of business and many other factors come into play.

How would you like someone, who wasn't fully informed, (sure you know a little) advocate you move to BFE, cause they thought it was a good idea.

Why don't you move....

It is really disapointing that pilots are treating the ALPA staff exactly the way they say airline management should not treat them.

Do you people have any intergrity or you just care about yourselfs and your world. If not you are living up to the pilot personna.....

Latest resources

Back