• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA / TSA / GoJet video.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least someone was thinking when they placed the MESA MECC in the front row. If he made a move when a pilot was bent over he couldn't plead "I'm protecting him" as he dropped the zipper and assumed the position. Sure hope the lucky ones made it home without any leaky discharge, compliments of the MESA Grand Emir.

I'm not really defending either - just pointing out that pilots are still trying to use the old methods to maintina our profession, and is is predictably failing.

Our tactics have not changed, and we have been outwitted by management. You must give them their due - if you can't admit when you have been bested, you can't learn.

Anything short of creating a strong national union instead of the very weak one we have is going to continue the so-called race to the bottom.

In reality, though, it is not actually a true race to the bottom, it is a race to supply/demand stasis.

I am really disappointed that an otherwise bright and capable group of people continue to get hammered by the tactics of management.

If we ever expect to put an anchor on the continued slippage that we are seeing, we will need to unify as a professional group.

The attitudes of many mainline pilots towards regional pilots, the RJDC, the tribal divisions between different pilot groups - all of these things have balkanized those in this profession so severely that I really belive that recovery is impossible.

The general refusal to acknowledge reality is very frustrating.

Here's how I have made my peace with the eventual destruction of the profession's traditional pay and benefits:

We COULD have prevented it. We COULD have taken the lessons from history about how other groups have lost their political and economic advantages.

But we didn't - we thought that we were somehow different, and special, and that it "couldn't happen to us".

"We're pilots, you see, and the world will be forced to recognoze our worthiness".

Our refusal to learn from the mistakes of others has put us in this position. Do we "deserve it"? Maybe.

If you have it in your power to prevent catastrophe, and yet do not, how do you then plead? You could plead ignorance, but economic laws do not forgive ignorance. We failed to protect the profession, therfore we lose. It is how it is, and shaking our fist in rage gets us nowhere. We must pick up the pieces and rebuild. But as long as we try to rebuild on the ruins of our previous methods, we will fail.

Last edited:
100LL,

Please don't use "we" in your posts. "We" implies that you and I are together on issues, which you and I are not. You make me sick. I am tired of reading your banter. Walk a day of negotiating in my shoes and you will see what management is about.

You arrogantly assume that I have not been through a similar experience.

Like I said - watching you continue to use failing tactics is tragic and amusing at the same time. I really have made peace with the fact that the good old days are truly over. Will they ever come back? Maybe, but only if pilots as a group really unite with that purpose. There is no way to return to the glory days without some substantial reflection on how we got to this point.

For those of you that think polling JOHN Q PUBLIC about automated flights is a worth indicator of whether or not we will have automated flights in 30 years really needs to face reality. We live in a more modern world now but this modern world happened recently. A 40 year old grew up without a personal computer so automation to them is still something they look at with a certain amount of trepadation. The current 10 year old is totally surrounded by technology and automation and in 30 years when they are 40 they will not have the same hang ups todays 40 year old will have about flying on an aircraft that is fully automated. Look at most accidents in aviation result..... PILOT ERROR. This is the side effect of being human.

SPIM said:
The current 10 year old is totally surrounded by technology and automation and in 30 years when they are 40 they will not have the same hang ups todays 40 year old will have about flying on an aircraft that is fully automated. Look at most accidents in aviation result..... PILOT ERROR. This is the side effect of being human.

And in 30 years there will STILL not be an operating system that doesn't lock up on people. Do you really think that people are going to want a computer flying them around when their personal computers lock up every other day?

FirstMate said:
First of all, work on your English. It is very difficult to comprehend what you're trying to say, but I'll attempt at a rebuttal. We deserve a hell of a lot more than what we are receiving. This isn't a hobby. It is a career that very many have worked hard to achieve at a profesional level. I for one have no idea what I would do if I wasn't able to fly as a professional. This job is like any other job where people chose to do a a certain task in which they enjoy and make a living off of. As previoulsy stated, this is the only industry where the airline mgt is willing to lower costs through employee consessions. The supply/demand concept is defunct in this industry.

BAFAN Bump!

The same could be said in the med field. Way not have robots do surgery? The technology is there and the hospitals could get rid of greedy overpaid doctors and nurses. All they would have to do is hire some computer geeks/techs and just look at the savings to the patient. Of course, there wouldn't be any patients.....

SPIM said:
For those of you that think polling JOHN Q PUBLIC about automated flights is a worth indicator of whether or not we will have automated flights in 30 years really needs to face reality.

Riiiggghhhttt..........

FLAMEBAIT TROLL

Latest resources

Back