• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa President Starting To Show Signs Of Leadership

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your anger is misplaced. You should be directing your anger at a man (Darth Prater), not an organization. ALPA is only as strong as the people who volunteer to keep it going. When the wrong people are elected to run the organization, then things aren't going to run smoothly. That's not an inherent problem with the Association, it's just a problem with the people.

We are in agreement concerning Darth Prater. But the reason I believe the organization is flawed is because it can not be changed.

Try to replace Darth Prater through a recall. It can not be done. How many National Presidents have been replaced in ALPA history? They are not just elected they are groomed for the position. Even though Prater was chosen by the pilots he was groomed upon his arrival to tow the party line.

None from the outside can change the party line. The EVP's and influential MEC's set the tone, no one else period. That's why the organization is in decline. There is no freedom of speech, freedom to change what is wrong, or any ability change the organization away from the power brokers who do not represent the pilots, other than disillusion.

Yes we need a union. We need a national union that represents the pilots interests not the organizations interests. That is not happening today in ALPA. And it will not happen in the future with ALPA.

ALPA is not an organic organization adapting to the needs of the individual pilots. ALPA exists for ALPA's sake not the pilots.

What exactly are his selfish intrests?

You can control your followership... and you can only influence the leadership...

As a recent CAL upgrade, I can tell you that without a doubt, Darth Prater's own self interest is seeing to it that his contemporaries, those he will represent as a first priority, see a huge windfall! There are those senior members that he cares about, and then there is everybody else. If you're in the left seat and have 20 years seniority and are facing retirement, the only thing you care about is staying right where you. There is NO other issue really and Prater knows this. They won't fight off overseas control, cabotage, or anthing else! They'll use those things to their own benefit.

He's taking care of who he cares about, while you're falling right into his plan.

Guys: Call your union and ask whether or not financial analysis of age 65 effects is underway. I've learned that it is at CAL and that Prater's minions are working hard to try to make this look less lopsided. It's really ugly.

Try to replace Darth Prater through a recall. It can not be done.

It cannot be done because everyone is lazy and cowardly. Show me a single resolution that any pilot has brought at any single meeting to remove Darth Prater. Hasn't happened. No one will stand up and take action. That's a fault with the membership, not with the Association.

They are not just elected they are groomed for the position. Even though Prater was chosen by the pilots he was groomed upon his arrival to tow the party line.
Completely incorrect. Prater has set policy in Herndon on Age-65. This wasn't an ALPA position that he was "groomed" to carry out. The EC, EB, and BOD have the ability to set policy and direct the President, but so far, they've only done as he's asked. It seems to me that Prater is the one doing the "grooming" of everyone else.

Didn't you guys just elect this guy? Like 6 months ago?

The BOD elects the President, not the rank-and-file. There were some very interesting politics (i.e. vote trading) going on at the BOD that resulted in a surprise victory for Prater.

The leadership disregarded that opposition. When ALPA had the chance to stop age 65 cold, ALPA instead choose the path...............

Could you please point to the specific time in history, along with the supporting verifiable facts, where ALPA had the chance to stop age 65 cold? I'm pretty familiar with the chain of events that will lead to the change of this rule, but I'm not aware of the time in history that you are referring to?

I think Prater is doing exactly what he should be doing concerning this US Air thing. He let the two groups try to come to a resolution on their own. They failed. They both went to binding arbitration. The arbitrator ruled. One side is mad. He listened to both side's arguments as to why/why not the arbitrator's ruling was wrong, and hopefully the Council will butt out again and ecourage both sides to negotiate, even though IMO neither side is under any obligation to do so. ALPA National should stay out of it other than encouraging negotiations between the disputing parties.

Apparently age-65.

So he is doing this purely for his own personal benefit...

How does the ALPA Prez have the power to move the enitre organization in that direction. The EC/EB are facades?

It's not about individual whims. It's about "majority rules." He doesn't seem to get that.

Man, we have gone over this... are you going to get over it...?? Move on....

I really wanted to support Prater and I hoped that he could be a good leader. While I personally supported Captain Woerth during the election, after that was over I was determined to put it behind me and stand with Prater. Unfortunately, he's made that impossible. With his complete disregard for the will of the majority, he gets no support from me.

WOTM......

How about some flight case stickers... to go with the cheese...

How about some recall.... not...

How about a special seesion of the EB? BOD? Not!

Maybe if he wasn't so focused on this age-65 nonsense for the past 6 months he could have worked closely with the AAA/AWA MECs and come up with a viable solution without arbitration. Instead, we're now stuck with a situation that, at best, will turn into a generation-long dysfunctional pilot group at the "new" USAirways. At worst, this could turn into a viable decertification drive at AAA. Yep, real good leadership.

Sounds like NWA too.

p.s. AAA has always been dysfunctional..... between the Peidmont guys, PSA and USAIR and others.. that is like jews and arabs trying to occupy the same land....oh wait never mind...

Latest resources

Back