• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA on TSA/Crew Pass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you management? You sound like management material.

Getting through security is not getting to work. It's getting *into* work. It's like a businessman showing up at the door to his office building and having to pony up an entrance fee.

And the reward for the airlines is tangible. It's in their best interest to pay for it. It means pilots showing up at the gate on time, in a better mood, providing better customer service and more on-time flights. Probably safer to. Also helps keep them from quitting and going corporate first chance they get. Or going postal in the security line, that always makes for bad press.

No it's not in their interest to pay for it because it's not tangible as you say it is. This isn't like CASS where it is in their best interest to have it or they won't have pilots. You can still use the crew line for free. I think everyone would like to have it for free but there should be the option for people in companies that refuse to pay for it. If it was 50 per month, then yes it would be a problem. It's only 50 bucks per year less than the cost of a medical.

Last edited:
No it isn't. You can get in free by simply going through the checkpoint like everyone else! You choose not to be harassed though. If it's worth $50 to you then pay it. If not, then go through security.

I love it how everyone is in favor of ending handouts until they're the ones getting the handout. Then it's justified? As I said, put your money where your mouth is. Put up or shut up.

I already did dipshiot. It is known as the taxes I paid. You MUST be a flaming liberal.

I have to agree that crews paying is definitely not a precedent we ever want to set. .

You're thinking too much into it. Sometimes there are things that you just need to go with. I think it's ridiculous that ALPA is fighting management, which have all said no, and delaying our ability to get crewpass in the name of 50 bucks a year.

Lots of pilots take a WEEK of their lives and jump thru lots of hoops to become FFDO's simply to not have to deal with TSA. What is a week off worth to you?

I'll gladly pay the $50. Even $100!!

Problem is, when they said it is about $50 per pilot that was spreading the cost across every pilot in the US. For it to be $50, EVERYBODY would have to do it. If only HALF do it the cost would be $100 per pilot, see where this is going?

If WE pay for it, the minimum will be $50. I bet it will be much higher.

OK. That sounds like a negotiations item. What are you willing to give the company for it? Because nothing comes for free.

PBS?

Coming to work and doing my job safely and professionally?

For 20 years we've gained every trip to the negotiating table. I don't think we've peaked yet.

We should be telling ALPA to lobby congress to fund CREWPASS. The government should be paying for this because we pay taxes already anyways.

How much $$ are we saving them with PBS?
It's more like you're making them more money to go into their pocket. Anything "saved" goes into managements pocket.

I'd be open to looking at changing the duty-in times at outstations to be 5-10 min closer to departure...reflecting the time saving of not having to go through security.

How long have you worked in the airline industry? How big is that bubble that you live in, where you think the airline would actually pay $50/per pilot to keep them from getting harassed by security? Most airlines don't even give out a ham during the holidays anymore, you're expecting them to fork out more money to convenience you?
If departing on time becomes an issue on first flights of the day because of the extra security, guess what? You're show time if going to be 5-10 minutes earlier, not the other way around. They don't care about your convenience.
If need be for rest requirements, they will delay that flight 5-10 minutes, but certainly not pay $50 so you can get through security faster.

Like NEVETS said, ALPA should be hitting up Congress to pay for this, but they won't. They fear in losing any "leverage" in the Capitol.

I love in the article how Prater says they don't want to "just make noise in the media"....but how many informational pickets do they do, just to make noise in the media?

The costs for this has already been paid through CASS It's just that historic aviation entities like ARINC & ALPA think Hey money for us we need to make a few mill off of this

Latest resources

Back