• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA loses at Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, this is getting too funny! ALPA is now "anti-Christian?" What a load of crap. That post contained so much incorrect information that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Oh, this is getting too funny! ALPA is now "anti-Christian?" What a load of crap. That post contained so much incorrect information that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Thats not funny. Here is something funny...there are people on this board who actually paid for training yet have the nerve to call someone a whore. Unbelievable!!!!!

Thats not funny. Here is something funny...there are people on this board who actually paid for training yet have the nerve to call someone a whore. Unbelievable!!!!!

indeed!

Originally Posted By SkyNation
I'm an RJ CA at SkyWest. My buddy is a CA at XJT. He's been there almost 2 years longer than I've been here. Yet, I'll make more than him to the tune of about 15K.

How many days off will your buddy have this year compared to you? Does he commute? Do you? Are you including his B plan?

Give us some details if you're going to claim this...

How many days off will your buddy have this year compared to you?

I don't know, I'd guess about the same.

Does he commute?
Yes.

Do you?
No.

Are you including his B plan?
No. Nor am I including my 401k contributions from the company.

Give us some details if you're going to claim this...

this has been hashed out over and over again, nothing new here. I have friends who make upwards of 100K, and they are all 5-7 year captains. We have a dude here who claims to have credited 1700 hours in one year. You do the math.

I count pay, per diem, and performance rewards. He counts the same type stuff. I'll make in the low 80s, he'll make in the high 60s. He is always surprised at how much more I make than him. It's all about credit and soft time, remember.

Originally Posted By SkyNation
this has been hashed out over and over again, nothing new here. I have friends who make upwards of 100K, and they are all 5-7 year captains. We have a dude here who claims to have credited 1700 hours in one year. You do the math.

I count pay, per diem, and performance rewards. He counts the same type stuff. I'll make in the low 80s, he'll make in the high 60s. He is always surprised at how much more I make than him. It's all about credit and soft time, remember.

Sounds like you two didn't really discuss this much...

He commutes, you don't. He probably worries more about commutable trips than productivity. Maybe he also bids for weekends and holidays off while you don't care and bid any and all trips as long as they're productive.

You've got to compare days off if you're going to compare yearly earnings in this job. "About the same" doesn't cut it.

Why not include the B plan? It's part of the compensation package at expressjet and something you don't get at skywest.

Of course it's about the credit time. I've credited 170 hours in a month and I know of someone who's credited 215 hours in a month here at expressjet. We have a line captain that claims to have made $140k and also instructor and charter captains that can make that much.

I'm not saying I don't believe you'll make more than your buddy, I just don't think you've accurately compared why you'll make more...

Last edited:
fine, whatever. point is, we make as much or more at skywest as about anywhere else. I'd bet the average earnings of a skywest pilot are very close to those of an xjt pilot. could be more, could be less.

fine, whatever. point is, we make as much or more at skywest as about anywhere else. I'd bet the average earnings of a skywest pilot are very close to those of an xjt pilot. could be more, could be less.

Don't you think flying aircraft with roughly 40 to 80% more seating capacity the Skywest pilot should be making way more then XJT?

Originally Posted by SkyNation

Originally Posted by flynryan15
Don't you think flying aircraft with roughly 40 to 80% more seating capacity the Skywest pilot should be making way more then XJT?

This is what I don't understand about your take on not having a union at skywest, SkyNation. You've suggested that you're a lifer and have posted more than once about how satisfied you are to be just as good "as about anywhere else".

Why is that acceptable when your company doesn't accept to be just about as profitable as any other company? If you want to spend your career at skywest why not make it the company that compensates their pilots the best for the airplanes they fly? Wouldn't that benefit skywest pilots as well as the rest of us?

good points. Of course we'd all like to make more money. I want to make as much as I can while allowing our company to remain strong, competitive, and well positioned for the future. where that balance is struck is open to debate. I'm happy where I'm at, my buddy likes XJT. that's what matters most, really.

Latest resources

Back