Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA better be ready--they have a golden opportunity the next 2 yrs!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BOOZENEWS

I LOVE being on top!!
If there is a chance to save the industry it is in the next 2 yrs.

First off I am a registered independent and vote across party lines regularly. I am not a partisan.

That being said, the Dems will soon control the WH, have a filibuster proof maj in the house and have 57 seats in the senate.

Even in you strongly disagree with the dems when it comes to a lot of issues (I do), you have to admit they ARE more labor friendly than the GOP.

Obama has a VOTING RECORD of being pro-labor. If history is any indication he will appoint friendly members to the NMB.

Now to the point.

ALPA must AGRESSIVELY work with the House, Senate and WH to pass legislation that will DRASTICALLY alter the RLA.

I propose the following:

A 6 month period of dircet negiotations after the amend date of the contract.

If no agreement is reached, then another 6 months of negotiations overseen by the NMB shall take place.

If still nothing, than an automatic 30 day cooling off period shall begin.

If still no agreement is reached, a job action, including a strike may take place.

There is no reason not to think this can't be accomplished with dems controlling the WH, H & S. I don't know if it is better to try to pass this as stand alone legislation or slip it into an unrelated bill. Determining that should be ALPA's job.

Your thoughts and opinions please......

If there is a chance to save the industry it is in the next 2 yrs.

First off I am a registered independent and vote across party lines regularly. I am not a partisan.

That being said, the Dems will soon control the WH, have a filibuster proof maj in the house and have 57 seats in the senate.

Even in you strongly disagree with the dems when it comes to a lot of issues (I do), you have to admit they ARE more labor friendly than the GOP.

Obama has a VOTING RECORD of being pro-labor. If history is any indication he will appoint friendly members to the NMB.

Now to the point.

ALPA must AGRESSIVELY work with the House, Senate and WH to pass legislation that will DRASTICALLY alter the RLA.

I propose the following:

A 6 month period of dircet negiotations after the amend date of the contract.

If no agreement is reached, then another 6 months of negotiations overseen by the NMB shall take place.

If still nothing, than an automatic 30 day cooling off period shall begin.

If still no agreement is reached, a job action, including a strike may take place.

There is no reason not to think this can't be accomplished with dems controlling the WH, H & S. I don't know if it is better to try to pass this as stand alone legislation or slip it into an unrelated bill. Determining that should be ALPA's job.

Your thoughts and opinions please......

The house doesn't have filibusters.

This has to be one of the more short-sighted, ignorant, foolish, and selfish threads I have ever seen. You are going to vote based, strictly, upon your profession? Wow! No other issue is important to you and your family?

NEWS FLASH!! NO politician is labor friendly. They all have great talking points and make a lot of general statements, but they have NO intention to save labor. They intend to save VOTES! If you are correct and the next election guarantees you a filibuster-proof legislative branch and unfettered support for the President, then you need to rethink your career and your career expectations. Our career will be no better than a truck driver's once regulation, realignment, and redistribution take over ALL industry. Legislators will say that "X" industry is too big to be permitted to fail and we must give "assurances" to the taxpayer that this critical component of our economy must be preserved. Bull$hit! We don't even have to wait two years, look at the auto industry now. Think about a Congress with no "hall monitor". The auto workers are going to get railed and there is nothing they can do about it. If they cave, they lose pay but keep some of their jobs. If they toe-the-line, then they lose their pay, a lot more jobs, and the pay will NEVER return. In the eye of the taxpayer, they get what's coming to them. It would be better to let a big one fail than bring the rest of them down with them.

Anyone ever heard of US Airways? They should have been gone YEARS ago, but due to government subsidizing their failed business, they remained and the entire industry suffered due to seat saturation and unfair competition due to favorable BK laws. As a result, the healthy businesses had to take in the shorts to weather the storm created by legislators and BAD management at the airlines. This is being played on the auto industry stage right now. Ripping the band-aid off is better than a slow tear.

Do you want to be viewed the same way? If you want this future for airline pilots, then vote the democrats in control and see what taxpayers do with you when they find out that they have to subsidize your 15 days off, hotel stays, and cool job. It doesn't matter that this is a false representation, this is what the public will see when our industry is presented to the taxpayer for rescue. It is far better to leave some balance in the governement than have the school children running the schoolhouse. Our industry is going to be okay, eventually and not without casualties, but only if it is left alone and those that are doomed to fail are permitted to. Democrats are good at making bad decisions worse and then blaming republicans for the mess in the first place.

Good Luck.

ALPA is a worthless organization. The only thing The band of Mustachioed fatheads that run this sham are ready for is Dinner. (paid by the pilots of course)

You also forgot to mention UAL's three years in bankruptcy and look at their situation today, no better than when they entered bankruptcy years ago... As long as this country remains a capitalistic one-- the weak will fail and the strong will survive... My opinion is the same for Detroit-- we shouldn't be bailing out weak companies who have inferior products because that being said, GM and Toyota sold the same number of vehicles last year 9.2 million- but GM lost Billions and Toyota made several billion. The difference between the two companies? One is union the other is not. One builds products people are willing to purchase, the other one does not. If Detroit is going to survive, there will have to be mergers, maybe even a bankruptcy reorganization to tool their plants and work force for a more competitive environment.

ALPA had it's chance to shine years ago. It failed.

Blue,

You forgot to mention about the foreign car makers in the US their billions in subsidies from state and local governments to build their plants. Add in a relatively young worker population as compared to Detroit who is receiving many of the same benefits but won't have to pay much until the workforce grows older.

It perplexes me that so many people think that the two political parties are either this or that, good or bad. Republicans, in my view, don't trust government and govern that way. Problem is you can't run a country without government. Democrats, in my view, put too much faith in government and lean on it too much.

The taxpayer and citizen want everything they can get from government but don't want to pay anything for it so the average guy at heart is more of a Democrat than a Republican.

For every Republican you need a Democrat and vice versa. Leave either one in control too long and all hell breaks loose. We're now dealing with Republican hell. In 4 or 8 years we'll be dealing with Democrat hell. That's America!

The dems will not help labor any more than the republicans took on tort reform...they will cater to the special interests and nothing more. Many things can and should happen under a democratic gov't but will not because our country's politicians are hopelessly corrupt. Many things could and should have happened under the GOP, but did not for the same reason. Tort reform didn't happen because they were too busy pushing defense contracts in each other's districts...budget restraint did not happen either for pretty much the same reason. Denny has it right...dont hold your breath on this one folks

Man, there's a lot of ridiculous crap in this thread. :rolleyes:

To the original poster, there isn't a filibuster proof majority in the Senate, so getting a complete overhaul of the RLA through might not be realistic. I would expect a lot of good changes, though. ALPA is currently working on fixes to the 1113 process, pension reform, flight/duty time regs, etc...

Why not start with the basics:

Voting. Only 1/3 of pilots vote.
Attend LEC meetings. Only 5% of pilots attend meeting.
ALPA-PAC. Only 14% of pilots contribute.

So it is fair to say that a majority of union pilots reading this thread don't do any of the three above.....

Want change... here are three easy active items you can do right away. It is actually, quick boring, non gratifying, yet essential...

Don't arm your union with an unloaded weapon and expect results.... The hollow points are participation.... Want change... try something new... vote, give to the PAC, show up at a meeting.

This has to be one of the more short-sighted, ignorant, foolish, and selfish threads I have ever seen. You are going to vote based, strictly, upon your profession? Wow! No other issue is important to you and your family?

NEWS FLASH!! NO politician is labor friendly. They all have great talking points and make a lot of general statements, but they have NO intention to save labor. They intend to save VOTES! If you are correct and the next election guarantees you a filibuster-proof legislative branch and unfettered support for the President, then you need to rethink your career and your career expectations. Our career will be no better than a truck driver's once regulation, realignment, and redistribution take over ALL industry. Legislators will say that "X" industry is too big to be permitted to fail and we must give "assurances" to the taxpayer that this critical component of our economy must be preserved. Bull$hit! We don't even have to wait two years, look at the auto industry now. Think about a Congress with no "hall monitor". The auto workers are going to get railed and there is nothing they can do about it. If they cave, they lose pay but keep some of their jobs. If they toe-the-line, then they lose their pay, a lot more jobs, and the pay will NEVER return. In the eye of the taxpayer, they get what's coming to them. It would be better to let a big one fail than bring the rest of them down with them.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. Do you know who least wants GM to fail? Mullally, the CEO of Ford, that's who. Apparently most of the suppliers are common to all of the big three. Losing one kills the suppliers, which kills the other two.

PIPE

Latest resources

Back