Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA better be ready--they have a golden opportunity the next 2 yrs!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is funny coming from a guy who works within an organization that is lucky to achieve 2% pay raises during arguably the most prosperous time in regional airline history. Where the top three hogs take home considerably more than the average (non check airman) line pilot. Lets not even talk about all the other give aways and block hour overide. Laughable.

Ya, I work my but off to make half of what Prater makes having subsitized lunches most of the week. Plus SkWest's rates and work rules are among the highest without paying for Hendon's lunch parties.

But why should a lonely regional FO pay a year in dues only to cover Praters weekly Martini bill?

The high costs of the EB are just too much, can you really justify the number?

BTW, SkyWest is pushing numbers every way they can to justify not furloughing pilots, is every other ALPA doing that? Comair?

Last edited:
This is funny coming from a guy who works within an organization that is lucky to achieve 2% pay raises during arguably the most prosperous time in regional airline history. Where the top three hogs take home considerably more than the average (non check airman) line pilot. Lets not even talk about all the other give aways and block hour overide. Laughable.

No, what's really laughable is that a guy who claims to have as many hours as Prater is still at a regional. Way to go, CFIT! :laugh:

No, what's really laughable is that a guy who claims to have as many hours as Prater is still at a regional. Way to go, CFIT! :laugh:

Want to compare paychecks?

Of course it doesn't compare to what Prater is getting, as he looks down amongst his minnions getting pay cuts and furloughs, really?

Last edited:
Interesting experience a couple of days ago in Seattle. I am on the bus to the hotel and a NWA 747 Captain asks me how things are going and I tell him "fine, how about you folks?". He promptly and assertively tells me that he burned his ALPA card, and has no longer a use for his former association. He is no longer a member. His reasoning was that HE was as effective as ALPA at preserving his job and pay. "The Herndon version of ALPA is what is wrong with ALPA and it is filled with "pilots" that do not want to be pilots." His account of his experience with Woerth was comical at best. Prater seems to render the same frustration from the members as DW did. The NWA Captain continued to tell stories of incompetence and unethical behavior. His story is just one, but I find it interesting enough to post here. I don't agree wholeheartedly with him, but certainly understand that his view of ALPA is common and unfortunate. I wouldn't want to be without representation these days; but as far as a bargaining unit, ALPA is as impotent as they come. The folks in Herndon should be no more than support for the MEC/LEC offices. Instead they are the "man behind the curtain" and that serves only those in Herndon.

PCL,

Skywest is as much a regional as AirTran. I'd tread lightly, my friend. Weren't you a "regional pilot" at one time? To assume that a regional pilot automatically has fewer hours than a "major" pilot shows your ignorance. Some of the most qualified and highest time guys I have flown with were on the Jetstream, Brazilia, and ATR.

You obviously don't understand how ALPA works, and neither does that Captain that allegedly made those comments.

As a former member, yes I do. Because you disagree with me or the NWA Captain doesn't mean that we don't know how the game is played. We have alternative views. Take those blinders off every once in a while and take a look around. The view sucks from everyone else's position. ALPA is losing, fast. They need more grass roots leadership from the bottom and distance themselves from the Washington crowd, because it serves no one. The only opportunity ALPA has is to save itself and it doesn't look like they are doing a great job at that.

What you propose is the exact opposite of what ALPA should be doing. Backing away from DC would be the death knell for this profession. The real work that must be done to protect this profession can only be done in DC. That must be the focus. Thankfully, Prater understands that.

This is where we disagree. I, along with many others, believe that Washingtonism is the reason that the profession has suffered so much. At a local level you can rally and fight the "us vs. them battle". In Washington, you(ALPA) are them. You don't have to look any further than your/anyone's own management pilots to see what collusion takes place once one is removed from the line environment. Woerth and Prater aren't exactly champions of the line pilot, they are good campaigners. Making promises and then compromising your word is a lot easier to do sitting in a nice office in Herndon than at your local office with an open door for all of your pilots to see.

I don't believe that ALPA, Prater, or even dare I say Woerth are bad folks. They just don't get the line pilot, because they aren't one, anymore. ANYONE can be corrupted and deceived. Keeping your representation and bargaining group close to home is the only way to ensure that an equitable process is maintained and there is transparency. Having accessibilty is key to having the ability breaking your foot off in the a$$ of your leadership if they stray too far from the reservation. Washington leadership will only preserve what you already have with ALPA, which is a disconnected union that doesn't understand it's members. Bring the association home, whip its a$$, then put it to work doing YOUR business. ALPA should not be negotiating on behalf of Delta one day, then ASA the next. It's like Johnny Cochran arguing for O.J. and the state of California at the same time. It has gotten too big and represent too many conflicting units.

Again, I don't think you understand how ALPA actually works. I've seen Prater and Woerth in action, first hand. They are most certainly fighting tooth and nail to protect the average pilot. It's a shame that the average pilot doesn't get to see it, but it's happening every day.

Latest resources

Back