• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA asleep at the wheel.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only way out is to make sure that if it `s XYZ air on the a/c XYZ pilots fly the trips. No more outsourcsing flying.Be99s to 747 all on one list . Force management to merge, sell or buy out all wholly owned or subcontracted flying.We need to go back to the old way of doing things .Before we got lazy and gave flying away because it was in little a/c.The a/c are not little any more,to bad ALPA didn`t have somebody with imagination in 1988/1990.

filejw

You've identified the cause of the problem. Any ideas on how to effect your solution?

skydiverdriver said:

I think when you make accusations without any proof, like comparing a group of pilots fighting for your rights as televangelists, or all lawyers as evil, you ruin your own credibility. Sometimes when you accuse, you say nothing about the person you are accusing, but speak volumes about yourself. Good day sir.

Sounds alot like what the RJDC has been doing since it's inception. And I used to hear similar comebacks on the 3rd grade playgrounds. One thing you do have correct...good day..to you AND the RJDC.

macdaddy said:
I did not start this thread to hear about RJDefense. It is about ALPA letting down ALLpilots by allowing the loss of good jobs to the regionals by not meeting managment head to head on this issue.

Perhaps you missed the fact that RJ drivers are pilots too. They just happen to be worried about ALPA letting them down by trying to give the "not so cushy" jobs they have now to the mainline pilots who are trying to take them away.

Who gave you or anyone else the right to determine that your dad's job is (was) a "good" job and my job is not?

If you wake up and think a bit perhaps you'll recognize that we have the SAME job, it just happens to be in a different airplane. We also put our pants on the same way, one leg at a time.

One of the biggest problems we have today in this industry is that too many of us in the cockpit or trying to get into the cockpit worry more about $$$$ than we do about aviation. Greed is not a virtue.

Tell your dad that this gandpa thinks he should give you better advice. ALPA is asleep at the wheel but you're 180 deg. out of phase about why it should wake up. The reason they're sleeping is because, like you, they have myopia.

The world revolves around the Sun, son. It does not revolve around mainline pilots and especially not around Delta pilots. They are just like all the rest of us. Too many of them don't seem to know it.

Last edited:
There is a great deal of education, training and skill that is required to be a pilot for a 121 carrier. Not to mention the fact that good health is also mandatory. Then you throw in the time away from home, the late nights, early mornings. Fail checkrides and your career is over. It is a tough job. We should be paid for it. $35,000 a year to be a captain of an airliner is ridiculous. That is not greed. You sound like a management pilot.

Surplus1, unless you are independently wealthy, you work for a living. Like I do. I guess you like being underpaid. Don't call me son. I'm 37 yoa and it is very unlikely I'll go back to Eagle. I can make a good living at my other profession.

surplus,

It does not revolve around mainline pilots and especially not around Delta pilots. They are just like all the rest of us. Too many of them don't seem to know it.

I think its beginning to sink in now.

macdaddy

macdaddy said:
There is a great deal of education, training and skill that is required to be a pilot for a 121 carrier. Not to mention the fact that good health is also mandatory. Then you throw in the time away from home, the late nights, early mornings. Fail checkrides and your career is over. It is a tough job. We should be paid for it. $35,000 a year to be a captain of an airliner is ridiculous. That is not greed. You sound like a management pilot.

Surplus1, unless you are independently wealthy, you work for a living. Like I do. I guess you like being underpaid. Don't call me son. I'm 37 yoa and it is very unlikely I'll go back to Eagle. I can make a good living at my other profession.

The point is basic. The regional pilots that I know, have the same education, the same training and also work for a 121 carrier. They have the same health requirements, the same complexity of equipment, the same checkrides and very similar schedules. It's the same job! The only difference is the length of the fuselage and the paycheck. BTW, they also have the same families to care for.

It is NOT greed because you would like to make more money for what you do than you make now. That's ambition and it is just fine. It IS greed when you already make $150,000 dollars a year (as a copilot) and you want to take away my job beecause you think that YOU can make still more. It is especially GREED when I am doing nothing to keep you from making more. On the contrary, I'm helping to make it possible.

That is exactly what the leaders of ALPA and the mainline pilot groups are trying to do to the regional pilots. Put them out of business based on self-serving and totally erroneous assumptions.

I wish you'd tell me what airliner Eagle pays you $35,000 a year to fly as Captain and with what longevity? At my little regional airline, that is 2nd year FO pay. Are you sure you're not stretching your "poverty" just a bit?

Yes, regional pilots in general should make more money. But when you tell me that you will not go back to Eagle because you make more money in your "other profession", you have proven my point. Your motivation is $$$, not aviation.

Work wherever you want and make as much money as you can, I have no problem with that. But when you let money become the main focus of your life, I see you as a mercenary, not an aviator. I guess that's just a stupid old fashioned idea.

I'm not management and I don't like being underpaid. Guess what? I'm also not a primadonna and I don't like being overpaid either.

I particularly don't like someone that IS overpaid (and yes, I think some are) trying to take the livelihood of someone that is underpaid. That is exactly what the mainline pilots and their union (ALPA/APA) are busily trying to do. They ought to be trying to help the underpaid, not destroy them.

Since you're 37 you should be old enough to have figured that out.

Smell the coffee.

I couldn't agree with you more about mainline. My point is that management has won the war with ALPA over the regional carriers. They are shifting as much flying as they can. Customers can't tell the difference. When they ride an RJ, its painted like a Delta or American airplane. It is a jet. The ticket costs about the same.

At Eagle, a new Saab captain makes about 30 to 32K. As a first year FO on the Saab I was on track to make a whopping 16K. When the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** screeners make twice what I'm making there's a problem. I smell the coffee and it stinks.

macdaddy said:

At Eagle, a new Saab captain makes about 30 to 32K. As a first year FO on the Saab I was on track to make a whopping 16K. When the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** screeners make twice what I'm making there's a problem. I smell the coffee and it stinks.

I don't have a copy of the Eagle CBA so I can't look at your pay scales. When you say a new Saab CA makes 30-32 where does that come in terms of his time with the Company? In other words, is that the CA rate in yr 1 or 2? Where does it fall.

No question the FO rate stinks. I wouldn't want to smell that coffee either. That seems like it might be the lowest rate out there today. What is the hourly rate for year 1 at Eagle?

I'm really curious.

If those are your pay rates, then somebody hasn't been doing a very good job at the bargaining table? Who negotiated those rates? Was it ALPA or was it Eagle?

Final questions: In your opinion, should the fact that you have these low rates justify the attempt of the mainline pilots to take away your jets and transfer them to mainline without you?

I just want to clarify some things about B scale at AA. I was there, up close and personal, when it happened.

Crandall sold the APA (APFA, too) on the benefits of a B-scale. In addition, he sold the working pilots on a reduced pay scale for returning furloughees (called B+). It fell between A scale and B scale. How's that for defending the profession? Unlike Lorenzo, Crandall did use the concessions to grow AA.

The original B scale had no merge. It was later modified and merged at 17 years. There were other modifications, but I departed the company before that happened.

Fly safe!

Latest resources

Back