ALPA asleep at the wheel.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
b scale

B scale was designed to allow the established carriers compete with all the new airlines after deregulation.

Deregulation was the one time that they were at a disadvantage to other carriers without the high labor costs. Crandall thought this up as a palatable way to get his crew cost in line with people like Braniff who were on a tear to take over all the new markets they could.

In the proper setting, ALPA nor management win anything. ALPA has done a great job of promoting ALPA. In the ideal situation, the union and management come up with a proposal that deals fairly with the employees and allows the companies to generate profits for the shareholders, the reason they are in business in the first place. A corporation does not exist to employ.

When the balance of power gets out of whack on either side, things get ugly. ALPA knows exactly where their power base is and has used it effectively to gain wages above what they would have been. Great, but not necessaritly across the board or with even representation of all their members.

Surplus1,
Filejw hasn't just identified the problem, he has a solution. Randy Babbit (sp?) said that out sourcing was a mistake and that alpa should have found a way to keep all the flying in house. The only fix is to spend the bargaining capital to get the flying back in house. At least that's the way I see filejw's post. I'm not telling any one this to insight a riot. The cost of getting the flying back in house is higher than when Randy let the out sourcing happen and alpa may not be willing to spend that much, but that is the fix imho.
Brian De Jong

Surplus:

Starting pay at Eagle is 19 and change. I think that is similar to most other regionals. Year 2 on the Saab and ATR is virtually the same. The only way to get a decent bump for year 2 is jet FO. That is 27 per.

The 30-32K annual figure is from what upgrading captains told me in class. That is based on pre-9/11 upgrade time of about 3 years for Saab CA. I might be able to give you exact numbers, but it would take some digging around to find it. I think that is pretty accurate.

Yeah, somebody did a real bad job at the bargaining table. It resulted in a sixteen year millstone around the necks of the Eagle pilots. Management does whatever they want when it is time to re-index the pay and then goes to arbitration. The arbitrators are in AMR's backpocket so management can do whatever they want. Arbitration is a joke. I hope no other airline's MEC ever falls for it.

Your final question: No it doesn't justify taking away the jobs. My point when I started this thread is that ALPA has let the genie out of the bottle by allowing the outsourcing of flying - and there is no getting it back in again. Now management is going to keep the wages down by overlapping the regionals' routes. DAL is overlapping Comair, Skywest, ASA and ACA. ASA is not going to have much leverage to raise the bar when they start negotiating this fall because of the overlap. Comair had leverage and they did a great thing by striking. Mullin has cut ASA off at the knees. AMR is trying to do the same thing with Eagle by starting this "American Connection" thing.

That is all I have to say about that.

macdaddy,

I will disagree to a point with you on the overlap in ATL. ASA has sooo many flights in and out of ATL that the Comair flights really don't amount to much. Would it possible for mgmt to ramp up Comair ops in ATl within the next year. Maybe.

CVG was a small hub for Delta. ATL is where the real money is made for D. ASA stopping operations is not an option for the company.

How much leverage does ASA have. It all depends how pissed off people get. If the right chain of events would occur we could go back to the mentality of the George and John days when people would have been happy to put the company out of business. Back then, It was pure unadulterated hatred.

thats my 2 cents worth

rjcap said:
macdaddy,

How much leverage does ASA have. It all depends how pissed off people get. If the right chain of events would occur we could go back to the mentality of the George and John days when people would have been happy to put the company out of business.

Putting the company out of business, now there is a great strategy. What do you want to prove? That we can't make our mortgage payments with food stamps and unemployment checks. No one benefits from shutting the place down.

MetroSheriff said:

Putting the company out of business, now there is a great strategy. What do you want to prove? That we can't make our mortgage payments with food stamps and unemployment checks. No one benefits from shutting the place down.

Metro,
Ever heard of a "poker face"?
Right now DAL wants us scared. They want us to think they'll shut us down if we don't take their first offer. Unfortunately, our MEC is of that opinion judging by the POS 700 TA.

We need to show DAL that we're willing to fight and that we'll call their bluff. Try as they might there is NO WAY they can ramp CMR and SKW up fast enough to cover us sufficiently, especially in ATL.
The strategy isn't to put ASA out of business. Our strategy is to put up the good fight and get what we deserve. I'm willing to strike to get that, and I'm not afraid to hit DAL where it counts... in the pocketbook. I'm not going to let DAL intimidate me into not fighting through fear of shutting the company down.

I hope you'll feel that way too when the time comes. We're going to have to stand more united and fight harder than any group has ever.

Seems like alpa is only interested in quantity instead off quality thats all they have been doing lately is going and getting other pilot groups lined up instead of addressing issues like flight duty time hell truckers have better regs than pilots. Alpa is just another business alot of people forget they were the ones that started that upas pilot app program for a hundred and fifty bucks you had to submit to get a job after a few years they dumped it because it wasnt profitable.

Metro,

Your missing my point. I don't believe that putting the company out of business is the proper attitude. My point was that a protracted negotiation and strike has serious negative effects for the company as a whole.

These comments were made in context to a question concerning the leverage ASA has in our upcoming negotiations.

One last comment, if you put your financial livelihood in the hands of the airlines you are inviting disaster.

Latest resources

Back