• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Age 65 Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm! LOA? My information back in January is that the company plans to return any S/O that has been out of the Captain or F/O seat for less than 24 months. There have also been a number of guys that have gone on a LOA just prior to age 60 to avoid training as a S/O. does that give you any idea of the companies intent?

No LOA really necessary because those over 60 S/Os have rights based on the current contract and thei positon on the seniority list.

In order to do that, the company has to modify the current contract. That can be done through LOA. The FedEx MEC Chairman has already made his intentions known.
At this point, the only way for younger guys to stop this from happening is a recall.

Reading all musing here I hope everybody realizes that ALPA is not the only dog in the show. Lots more people out lobbying for than against and then we have the international pressure to get in line so to speak. ALPA leadership is now just getting in a position to have some say when age 65 goes to law or FAR.As for ROPES going back to Capt.If vacancies occur that a person can hold it would be against the law to prevent an employee form taking a job based on age and that would be present day age discrimination law.Just giving said employee back his old position without a vacancy would be a different deal.ALPA could have some say in that.

In order to do that, the company has to modify the current contract. That can be done through LOA. The FedEx MEC Chairman has already made his intentions known.
At this point, the only way for younger guys to stop this from happening is a recall.

Andy

My information is that FedEx management plan to retrain any S/O that has been out the Captain or F/O seat for less than 24 months. They will do this with or without agreement from ALPA.

The UAL contract may address age 60 but the FedEx does not. The FedEx contract does address "Regulated Age" defined in the contract as,

66. REGULATED AGE
The age at which FARs do not permit a pilot to continue flying as a Captain or First Officer.

The regulated age today is age 60. It appears that age 65 will become the regulated age in the near future.:beer:

Last edited:
All though a majority of the minority have spoken on Age 60.... bottom up? Yeah right.... It looks like the same particaption level for the first and second poll: about 36%

We're going in circles here. Bill Clinton never received anywhere close to 50% of the vote, let alone the eligible electorate. Was he not still President? If 64% of the membership chooses not to be involved, then the 36% that do get involved will rule the roost. That's how it's always been, that's how this issue should be handled also.

Quit acting like Age60 is THE issue....

Talk to Prater about that, not me. He's the one sending me (and the rest of the BOD) countless emails about this subject. He's the one bringing resolutions to change policy. He's the one conducting poll after poll until he gets the results he wants to see. No, we didn't make Age60 THE issue. Our President did.

And ALPA opposed Age 60 whe it was enacted then flip floped when it had monetary implications.... ALPA adjusted with the times..

Correct. The majority of the membership benefited by a change in the policy, so ALPA changed the policy. (that's that whole "bottom-up" organization thingy). That's not the case right now. The majority of the membership benefits by keeping the current rule, and the majority in several polls has voted to keep the current policy. If that changes, then the policy should change. But not until then.

You miss Duane? Talk to the UAL guys....

From what I hear, most of them greatly regret their decision.

Latest resources

Back