• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Age 65 Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
just because....the more votes we have the more we can at least say we told them so...

Why bother to participate when the "leaders" have already made up their minds?

FJ

You must have follwership to have leadership. You may not like the way the leadership is going and if so then the follwership must speak up.

If only a minority particapte again, in the Age60 survey, then the leadership has cart blanc and there is nothing the vocal few can say.....

Your issue is with the apathetic members not the leadership....

If only a minority particapte again, in the Age60 survey, then the leadership has cart blanc and there is nothing the vocal few can say.....

Oh, I've got lots to say. For one thing, we did a random phone polling of over 1,000 members. This is the most accurate way to measure the sentiment of the membership. I can't say what the results were, because they haven't been officially released yet, but I will say that the membership's opinion of Age-60 is unchanged.

Also, your assertion that the leadership has cart blanc is ridiculous. While I certainly want as many members to participate as possible, having low participation doesn't give the leadership the ability to just ignore the results. When only 5% of the membership participates in an LEC election, do we ignore the results because only a "minority" participated? Of course not. You use the results of the members that did get off their butts and vote. This is no different.

And for anyone that's interested, the vote on the Executive Council to propose a change to the ALPA Age-60 policy was not unanimous. One member of the EC refused to vote for this abortion.

Rez: The poll isn't even done yet but they've made up their mind. You can't have followership (as you put it) without leadership.

The chicken and the egg. I vote that the leaders show some integrity and honor and then I will follow them. Until then no way. They have to lead.

Your rah rah line is growing very tired. You want to "follow" these guys off the cliff, go right ahead.

FJ

Oh, I've got lots to say. For one thing, we did a random phone polling of over 1,000 members. This is the most accurate way to measure the sentiment of the membership. I can't say what the results were, because they haven't been officially released yet, but I will say that the membership's opinion of Age-60 is unchanged.

So the Titiantic is going down and the membership wants to discuss deck chair arrangement and tomorrow nights dinner menu. Got it.

Also, your assertion that the leadership has cart blanc is ridiculous. While I certainly want as many members to participate as possible, having low participation doesn't give the leadership the ability to just ignore the results. When only 5% of the membership participates in an LEC election, do we ignore the results because only a "minority" participated? Of course not. You use the results of the members that did get off their butts and vote. This is no different.

Oh.. you are talking a majority of the minority... Sounds like a real responsible membership... we've got here....

And for anyone that's interested, the vote on the Executive Council to propose a change to the ALPA Age-60 policy was not unanimous. One member of the EC refused to vote for this abortion.

So one guy wants to talk about creme brulee and deck chair arrangement. That certainly is his right.

Don't get me wrong.. It is not that I am pro Age65. I am pro pragmatism. You can argure that the crew isn't fixing the gaping hole in the side of Titantic......... but that fact is life is going to change.

That is like the FA calling you up and saying, "We want you to restart that uncontained damaged engine and continue on to our destination".

Rez: The poll isn't even done yet but they've made up their mind. You can't have followership (as you put it) without leadership.

I am curious as to how many have particpated with three days left to go. Do you think it will be more or less than the 1/3 of last time?

The chicken and the egg. I vote that the leaders show some integrity and honor and then I will follow them. Until then no way. They have to lead.

No- they are doing what you want them to do. A task that is of the vocal minority and unworkable.

They are leading. They are saying the gash in the hull is not workable. The Age 60 ship will sink. It is no longer a matter of if, but when. We can start saving as many lives as possible or we can disregard that duty in a futile attempt to fix the unworkable.

Your rah rah line is growing very tired. You want to "follow" these guys off the cliff, go right ahead.

FJ

Off of a cliff? Not sure about that. I don't think a change to age 60 is going to be as appocolyptic as many fear. In addition, can the FX guys negotiate their own retirement age? That to me would be something worth exploring.

The only missing link or piece to the puzzle to effectiveness is the apathetic membership. But even in this case it might be better that the membership is silient. A mob freny at 1625 Mass demanding the leadership fix the gaping gash in the side of the ship is just not a possibility.

Wow. Are you talking about the EC vote? THE EC vote? How did it turn out? I'm interested...please tell me more!

Latest resources

Back