ALPA....A union or not? Time to decide!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez, PCL, where do you stand?

As Rez said earlier, let's see the resolution. I can't comment on something I haven't seen. The concept that JoeM has described has many problems that I can see, however. Unless he can address them, then I can't see how his resolution would work. But I'm open to seeing it before condemning it.

If regional airlines increase(d) their pay, the benefits of outsourcing would cease to exist. Thus the concept of cross collateralizing one pilot's pay with another pilot's labor would fail if the regional pilots got scope over outsourced flying and increased their pay. So ALPA used it's position as exclusive bargaining Agent to block regional carriers from binding their parent companies (as ASA and Comair both tried to do). .

No....

When the outsourcing gets expensive... they get outsourced.

For example..

CAL outsourced to XJT, then XJT got expensive and was outsourced to Colgan...

UAL and DAL are just as bad or worse...

Did anyone mention what would happen should the number of aircraft subsequently become reduced do to unforeseen market conditions?

Good question James. My guess, the same thing that just happened last year. You, and your classmates would be out of a job again. Remember, those Comair pilots would be super senior (20+ years probably) and wouldn't have to worry about furlough.

ASA's attention is going to be occupied with it's present merger for the next 18-24 months. Nothing else big is going to happen here. Expect the next big announcement to come from SKYW. And with their fear of unions it will only include planes and facilities.

I support this 110%! A couple of years ago when DAL tried to get rid of Mesa and XJT was ramping up their flying with DAL as a new DCI carrier, I had a conversation with our MEC chairman and he was in total agreement that if XJT got any of their aircraft we would try to convince management to take a commensurate amount of pilots onto the XJT list with seniority in return for basically having a turnkey operation. This is the whole thrust of the ALPA Fee For Departure Task Force - career progression protection.

So, Nevets is a hypocrite! You don't want DOH with the ASA merger, but you want it with Comair? You're a dork.

ASA's attention is going to be occupied with it's present merger for the next 18-24 months. Nothing else big is going to happen here. Expect the next big announcement to come from SKYW. And with their fear of unions it will only include planes and facilities.

I suspect SKYW is taking some Comair planes but not pilots or f/as.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back