Aloha ʻino Mesa! Shame On You!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly-n-hi said:
2008 is a long way away? I would think that too if I was flying at Mesa.

Don't kid yourself...nobody refers to us as "Big Mesa". I've never even heard that before.

You're right about one other thing, though. It is cheaper to have Mesa pilots fly jets for 23k per year. Who would argue with that? The sad thing is you say it with pride...like its a good thing. I had always hoped to make the big money in the airlines. But that won't happen as long as kids like you are willing to fly 90 seat jets for 23k per year (or less).
My comments... 2008 is just a heartbeat away. 911 happened over FOUR years ago! It seems like yesterday still.

I have heard AWA referred to as "Big Mesa" before. Usually from Mesa pilots. But its an old used stab. It was funny the first time. All the old mesa jokes are no longer funny. Your CEO is out of control. He needs his wings clipped, period.

Synchoff gets his feathers fluffed for the wrong reasons. We all want to be proud of where we work, thats natural, it creates a bit of a conundrum for the mesa pilot. He will work it out one day I am sure of it.

islandhopper your information on mesa is right on. They are trying to score on aloha. Send ornstien some of peles lava rocks in the mail and tell him they are Hawaii good luck charms. He can put one on his desk, one in the wifes bathroom, hang one from his rear view mirror in the new car, his kids backpack, you get the idea.

Its about time mesa get some of what they have dished out all these years.

Last edited:
Fly-n-hi said:
You are an idiot. I'm sorry but you are.

If you want to turn this into a Mesa pilots vs. AWA pilots bring it on.

Do you have any other enlightening info for me??

Heheheh. I guess I struck a nerve there . . . . as did you to me.

Let's smokum peace pike, and agree that Mesa is cheap, and you get what you pay for?

Or, we can just trade flame for awhile, where ultimately you call me a Mesa-lifer (shudder!), and I call you another wanna-be (but never will be) Southwest pilot? :p

islandhopper said:
Synchoff gets his feathers fluffed for the wrong reasons. We all want to be proud of where we work, thats natural, it creates a bit of a conundrum for the mesa pilot.

LOL! God, ain't THAT the truth! Kind like trying to be proud of having the cleanest garbage truck in New Jersey or something!

Fly-n-hi said:
Don't kid yourself...nobody refers to us as "Big Mesa". I've never even heard that before. Now I have heard you referred to as "Mesa...leading the race to the bottom".

Actually, the America West = "Big Mesa" is kind of an inside joke thing at MAG. Specifically, pretty much everyone I know who's gone on to AW describes AW as a "Big Mesa". In other words, better, much not all THAT much better.

IHopper knows of what I speak. And yeah, I know it's an old, extremely worn out dig, but new to the flightinfo.

Fly-n-hi, please don't feel that the words (and opinion) of synchoff represent the pilots of Mesa. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I think I speak for the pilot group here in saying that none of us want to fly the 190's because we're well aware of the low-balled rate that we would inevitably be forced to fly them for. Our reputation doesn't need to be tarnished any further.

As a group, the Mesa pilots that I've had an opportunity to fly with are some of the hardest working people I have had the pleasure to work with. We realize that there is a belief (and rightfully so) that Mesa provides poor service. Believe me, nothing is more upsetting to us than having to push late due to yet another mechanical problem, or a crew swap that could have been more proactively handled by scheduling, or whatever other reason is responsible for our delay. It's just unfortunate that the company refuses to spend any money to fix the problems that we incur on a daily basis. But I certainly understand why AWA (as well as our other codeshare partners) is more than displeased at our performance, and would like nothing better than to replace us with some other carrier. AWA would have every right to do just that, and I almost think JO needs something drastic like that to help him understand the problem (IF he's capable of doing so!)

I've always been treated in the utmost professional manner by AWA crews in the few times that I've requested a ride to/from work. And all of you AWA guys and gals will be welcomed anytime you wish to ride along with us. That is, if you can tolerate having to ride in a CRJ! (avoid the jumpseat unless you're capable of withstanding extreme cramping of your extremeties).

Blue skies,
-Earl

Earl Williams,

Thanks.

I originally stated that our management is not pleased with Mesa the company. Some people hear that and they think that it is an attack on them personally...as if I'm saying they are bad pilots or something. I'm just the messenger.

P.S.

I've always had good experiences with the Mesa pilots.

Fly-n-hi said:
We just voted for the pay rates on the EMB-190. It will pass and we will pick up our deliveries starting in 2008 (25 with options for 25-30 more).

Not disputing this point! HOWEVER . .. . I just looked at the Embraier website, and I don't see any outstanding orders for either the EMB-190 or EMB-170 listed for America West OR USAirways (yes, I know its all LCC now, but I don't know how often Embraier updates their website)

Also, I'd think that the majority of this flying will probably go to AirWisconsin or Republic anyway. They didn't dump a cool 500 million into this deal for nothing, you know. I suspect they're gonna call "dibs" on any planes that can be called a "regional" aircraft.

(and no, I don't think a E190 is a "regional", but then I don't think the term "regional" means anything anymore anyway)

Last edited:
It's not on the Embraer site because the orders are conditional. We have to vote yes for the payrates (which we will).

Air Wiskey doesn't get dibs on any of the flying. Nor does Mesa. That's not how it works.

I'm actually starting to think this thread is one big joke. synchoff, are you just pulling my chain or something?

I'm finished with this thread.

Latest resources

Back