• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told that he has a seat on the board of allegiant, and they got some of their ideas about marketing and selling items on the aircraft from him. I hear Ryanair uses the labor laws of the easiest countries they fly to, so they can treat their employees poorly. Again, this doesn't say anything about allegiant, except that they have a connection and their business model is similar. They both go to small cities with one aircraft type, and charge low fares. They both make money off things like gambling and car rentals, and they are both anti-union.

skydiverdriver2 said:
I was told that he has a seat on the board of allegiant, and they got some of their ideas about marketing and selling items on the aircraft from him. I hear Ryanair uses the labor laws of the easiest countries they fly to, so they can treat their employees poorly. Again, this doesn't say anything about allegiant, except that they have a connection and their business model is similar. They both go to small cities with one aircraft type, and charge low fares. They both make money off things like gambling and car rentals, and they are both anti-union.

Allegiant has no board.... Once we go public, if we go public, he will have a seat. This is per the SEC documentation.

Okay, I thought even private companies had boards. My mistake. What about the other things I brought up? I'm not trying to bash anyone, just find out if there is any chance allegiant will start acting more like Ryanair. Did you read the link I posted?

Afew AA notes and AAY comparisons...

Unit:

I was furloughed from AA since the end of 2002. At that time I was an MD80 F/O making about $105 an hour. If I were not furloughed and still flying as an F/O for AA, I would be making around $88- $92 an hour after 11 years. Max MD80 F/O pay is $104 ( what I was making in 2002, but now after starting my 12 - 13th year).

I am in my 4th year as an AAY Captain pulling down a whopping $85 an hour. I will make about $85K this year bidding as #2 Captain out of FL. Not great, but I am making what I would be making as AA at 11 years on the MD80 what I am making at AAY after 4 years. Different seats yes, but supporting my family and getting a better schedule, while trying to get improvements at Allegiant.

The AA game is pilots trying to hold on and not loose more (spiral to the bottom). The AAY game is trying to get improvements and hope to spiral to the top, or at least turn into a Spirit, Frontier, or Air Tran.

If that happens I will be in the low double digit seniority, if not. Then I'll see you back at AA in another 5 - 10 years......that is if you don't loose the A and B funds. Then there won't be anything worth coming back to.

Good luck to us all and try to keep your AMR Cost Unit down!!!! This is giving me a RASM spasm!!!

Jeff H.

AMRCostUnit said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade here but...you're excited about making $41 an hour to fly S80 F/O? And then you make Captain in two years for a whopping $72 an hour? They don't pay for hotel during training either? Nice.

That downward spiral of the airline pilot career just got a bit tighter...

Unit
Whoop, whoop, Pull Up!

What does AAY's growth plan look like for the next few years? How do they plan to become an AirTran, Spirit, or Frontier?

furloughed2001 said:
What does AAY's growth plan look like for the next few years? How do they plan to become an AirTran, Spirit, or Frontier?

Our plan is to grow... It's that simple. We've been able to maintain a profit while going from 13 or 14 airplanes to start last year to 23 or 24 now. As fuel continues to rise, we continue to make money.

We plan on becoming an AirTran, Spirit, or Frontier by obtaining better work rules, better wages, and better benefits for the pilot group. Those things are not out of reach, and while we may not become the highest paid pilots in the industry, we will be well compensated under today's industry standard.

skydiverdriver2 said:
Okay, I thought even private companies had boards. My mistake. What about the other things I brought up? I'm not trying to bash anyone, just find out if there is any chance allegiant will start acting more like Ryanair. Did you read the link I posted?

Allegiant, just like all other airlines is in the business of making money. We already charge our passengers for soda, snacks, and just about everything else. That being said, we charge a very low ticket price for a reason. Once we have people on the airplane, they are more apt to purchase. We are also a niche airline and fly to 2 main vacation destinations. People on our flights are on vacation and therefore don't mind spending money on soda and snacks and booze.

AMRCostUnit said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade here but...you're excited about making $41 an hour to fly S80 F/O? And then you make Captain in two years for a whopping $72 an hour? They don't pay for hotel during training either? Nice.

That downward spiral of the airline pilot career just got a bit tighter...

Unit
Whoop, whoop, Pull Up!

Unit.....

Is there any "sunshine" in your life? Or is it all gloom and doom for you? The sad part is that the folks who are waiting to hear about a class date are probably looking at a payraise should they get a job offer. What would you do if you were in their shoes?

PHXFLYR:cool:

The forementioned airlines fly to larger more popular airports, as well as the smaller ones Allegiant serves. They also cater to the bu$ine$$ customer as well.

furloughed2001 said:
The forementioned airlines fly to larger more popular airports, as well as the smaller ones Allegiant serves. They also cater to the bu$ine$$ customer as well.

What are you talking about?

Northwest is the only airline that serves some of the routes we fly. They only do so on 3 routes right now, and only one of us is making money....business passenger or not.

Latest resources

Back