Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any chance of Mike D retiring soon...

Charter flights vs. Scheduled flights

A friend of mine from the PHX area told me that Allegiant flies a lot of charter flights (e.g., from Laughlin to non-scheduled destinations like the Grand Canyon, Tucson, Williams Gateway, etc.) beyond the regular scheduled flights.

Do certain bases fly more charter flights vs. scheduled flights? For a pilot based in either LAS or Sanford, typically what percentage of your monthly flights would be charter flights vs. scheduled flights? I think charter flights would represent a welcome break from the typical routine schedules out there.

johnsonrod said:
A friend of mine from the PHX area told me that Allegiant flies a lot of charter flights (e.g., from Laughlin to non-scheduled destinations like the Grand Canyon, Tucson, Williams Gateway, etc.) beyond the regular scheduled flights.

Do certain bases fly more charter flights vs. scheduled flights? For a pilot based in either LAS or Sanford, typically what percentage of your monthly flights would be charter flights vs. scheduled flights? I think charter flights would represent a welcome break from the typical routine schedules out there.

IFP and RNO are strictly charter bases. ALL flying from those bases is Non-Sked. In LAS 99% of the flying is Scheduled (see allegiantair.com for schedules and destinations). Charter trips from IFP and RNO are for Harrahs and Apple Vacations (mostly Harrahs I believe) and occasionally TDY charter bases pop up (for example MKE this past spring) Charter flights go anywhere an MD-80 can reach. Mostly CONUS but also a lot of Mexico and Caribbean too.

Anyhow, RNO and IFP each have one airplane and a couple of crews. These guys rarely exceed their 70 hour guarantee, but get like 18 days off per month. In SFB and LAS, it's a more traditional 121 operation. I've done a couple of adhock charters out of LAS though. I'd say there are about 5 a month out of LAS and they are usually flown by reserves.

Does anyone know when the projected class dates might be and how many they are hiring for each class?

Also, does willingness to move to a designated pilot base help my chances of getting hired or is it pretty easy to commute? I am willing to move to Florida or LAS if need be.

Jakejett said:
Does anyone know when the projected class dates might be and how many they are hiring for each class?

Also, does willingness to move to a designated pilot base help my chances of getting hired or is it pretty easy to commute? I am willing to move to Florida or LAS if need be.

----

No, not yet, but I've heard three interview sessions for three ground schools. All will be this year with the last at the lastest in Oct.

----

Yes and no, it certainly won't hurt, but doesn't guarentee anything.

As far as commuting we are Cass and have agreements with a number of carriers including Delta (new), United, America West, Southwest, etc... no guarentees either, but I've found commuting possible.

Vegas Flyer said:
----

No, not yet, but I've heard three interview sessions for three ground schools. All will be this year with the last at the lastest in Oct.

40 Pilots from only 3 interview sessions? Previous posts said they only interview 3-5 candidates at a time??

Are the interviews conducted by Management, HR, line pilots, etc?
Is the flying to/from SJU charter ops?

furloughed2001 said:
40 Pilots from only 3 interview sessions? Previous posts said they only interview 3-5 candidates at a time??

Are the interviews conducted by Management, HR, line pilots, etc?
Is the flying to/from SJU charter ops?

By sessions, I believe they meant a 2-3 day period... Usually they do an AM and a PM interview group (3-6 piots) over 2-3 days. Past numbers reflect that typically 20-30 pilots gunning for 12-14 slots per class. Sometimes candidates not selected for the first class seem to roll over to the next class. In my case, others from my interview group (AUG 05) were hired into a september class, but I was not. I got a call 3 weeks later for a Nov class along with pilots interviewed in Sept.

Interview panel consists of the CP, Director of Training, an HR rep, and a line pilot appointed through the Allegiant Air Pilot Advisory Group (AAPAG). AAPAG is an elected group of representative pilots who act on behalf of the pilot group through negotiation, professional standards, communication, and (recently) pilot hiring.

SJU is scheduled 121 ops, not charter.

Hope this helps.... Best of luck to you..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back