• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Reports First Quarter 2008 Financial Results

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"The ONLY way you guys will get your rates higher in the future is if Union airlines raise them above current levels."

This statement contradicts every argument you have made in your post......not that I agree with it! Just thought I would point that out!

I was an ALPA member for 6.5 years. Glad to have nothing to do with them.

ALPA had the opportunity years ago to negotiate industry leading wages for ALL of its members. ALPA instead chose to treat it's pilot groups differently and separately, regional and major pilots. ALPA favored the major pilots and treated the regional pilots like second class citizens. End result, rapid expansion of the regional airlines which really aren't "regional in nature", they fly all over the U.S., Mexico, Hawaii, and the Caribbean by pilots making "deplorable" wages, some new hires qualifying for food stamps. This told airline management that pilots would fly for lower pay and thus management was able to lower pay at the majors. Nice job ALPA!!!!

When I was an ALPA member we voted on the age 65 issue. It was voted down. What did ALPA do? They got the issue passed anyway. Great way to support the majority.

ALPA is a joke.

Allegiant pilots have an unofficial, in-house union. The pilot group is strong and negotiates as one entity and voice. One day it will be an official union, when the time is right.

United pilots DID NOT negotiate their current contract and payscale overnight. It took MANY years to get where you are now.

So it angers you that pilots fly for less than they are worth? Then you must really hate the FOs you fly with because United has some of the worst starting pay out there...and a new hire will struggle at low pay for YEARS. Great job UAL ALPA!!!! United used to be an industry leader that all pilots looked up to but is nothing but an embarassment now. What happened over there?

United parking 10-15 planes? Allegiant adding planes? Good luck over there at UAL.

At least the Allegiant pilots are moving in the right direction so don't knock them down.

Pilot pay is a lot like selling a house - your house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A pilot is only worth what someone will pay for him/her to fly that airplane. Name a company in this industry who is raising the bar when it comes to pilot pay - anyone. The fact is not one airline is "raising" the bar, and as mentioned ALPA and its "dis-unity" has a lot to do with it.

As ALPA (as well as the Teamsters and other independent unions) has failed to insist on a single rate industry wide, ALPA and its members have lost the right to complain about pay rates at other airlines. Get your own house in order before you start throwing stones at other companies and unions.

I've learned alot from the pilots at such airlines at Allegiant, Skybus, and Virgin. As I read these arguments/rationalizations, I'm wondering if UA ALPA should take a different tact with our negotiations in the up and coming months. I think we should argue to eliminate our retirement, lower our wages to the lowest of the ultra-low cost carriers, and get rid of our work rules.

Hey UAL,

As you can see from the number of posts I've made, I seldom post on here,...but sometimes I just can't resist (or I'm really bored).

The above statement struck me in particular-not because of it's content, but moreso due to the origin. For a dues-paying voting member of UALPA to even mention retirement is truly the most hypocritical, if not painful statement I can recall reading on this site. If I were a Delta pilot I'd be truly incensed. Question: Were you on the property as a voting member when UAL commited the previously unheard of step of dismantling the retirement plans of it's members? Yes UAL was the one who succesfully broke ground on the worst of modern day labor crimes: going after retirement. There was a day when ALPA would have never stood by and allow management to gut the retirement fund. It was certainly a watershead event in US labor history. Yep, not just airlines...all US industry used UAL as a precedent and followed suit. Nice going.

You'll forgive me if I chuckle, considering the messenger in this case.

Again while ALPA continues to charge it's constituents while losing ground and giving up traditionaly sacred covenants of labor, we are actively and succesfully pursuing improvements in pay and benefits for our members--at no charge.

And we'll continue to do so, including retirement.

As for a union drive, we're doing quite well without one, but the day may come. However, as many prior ALPA pilots in our ranks will tell you, it probably won't be ALPA. ALPA did wonders for TWA, Mesa, Sun Country, etc. Their support and bargaining acumen were nothing short of criminaly incompetent.

D1

Last edited:
Yes UAL was the one who succesfully broke ground on the worst of modern day labor crimes: going after retirement.

D1

Actually, I think it was USAirways and U-ALPA that went down the pension route first.

I don't mind unions, but ALPA seems like they do a horrible job.

Consider the United Autoworkers Union...During the most difficult financial period in their history, they successfully negotiated seperation payments in amounts ranging from $30,000 to $140,000 in exchange for laying off employees.

ALPA on the other hand unsucessfully allowed management to lay off thousands of pilots and airport employees without a single payment, while simultaneously allowing them to take millions of dollars in wages and retirement funds. After all this, they also allowed management to take millions of dollars in bonuses.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Actually, I think it was USAirways and U-ALPA that went down the pension route first.

Perfect!...(hand-wringing)...we can blame those nasty non-union undercutters at USAirways for lowering the bar...

...oh...wait, they're union...ALPA?...

Thanks Dizel...you're probably right. Although one may have preceded the other, both carriers followed suit and ALPA stood by while management gutted the retirement accounts of their paying constituents.

...and for UAL to bash small non-union (undercutting) LCCs about retirement...after having dumped their entire pension plan onto the PBGC.

I sincerely wish UAL, USAir and every other carrier pilot the best in these tough times...but seriously folks, enough with the finger-pointing and blame game. It's pointless.

D1

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back