Allegiant - Generally

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
just playing fair on wages

That's great... We're not comparing a 121 airline to your on demand cargo outfit.

For the 30 minute call out you have (or whatever it is) and the time away from home, they should be paid twice that.... But that's for a different thread.
There is base guarantee, and there is what you actually make, since someone listed both, I listed both. That was the only point I trying to make. The thread talked about how good the starting wages were compared to the legacies. But the wage also compares to what you start at as a 240 hours pilot in the on-demand business. Not saying that on-demand is preferred career choice, but you have to pay your dues someplace. BTW about half of our DC-9 pilots are flying scheduled passenger service 6 on 4 off schedule. DC-9 starting pay is around 40K.

Last edited:
Pilot YIP.....How steady is a job flying a -9 for your outfit? I was under the impression that there are seasonal furloughs and staffing adjustments that come and go with the contracts. Just curious.

not in the last 14 months

Pilot YIP.....How steady is a job flying a -9 for your outfit? I was under the impression that there are seasonal furloughs and staffing adjustments that come and go with the contracts. Just curious.
I think we have stablized now. No one has been laid of for than 3 moths in the last 5 years. Great place to get the training for your next job.

Pilotyip,
Read the post again, then you'll understand.
As stated in my original post, the comparison was based on 80 hours per month, not 70.
83.3 hrs/month=1000 hours per year, therefore you cannot fly much more than 80 hours/month without timing out.

Almost every pilot at Allegiant flies 80+ hours or more each month. The average is close to 90. Many pilots time out in November or early December and are then pay protected for the entire month of December without having to work any more. I didn't include that in the comparison though.

I did your line of work for the last two years. It's the worst type of flying job in the country; granted USA Jet is the best of the worst.
Talk about a living hell...poorly maintained airplanes, being paged at 1am after you just fell asleep, staying in hotels constantly. I turned down the upgrade 3 times at my former company because I disliked that job so much. There is absolutely no comparison. If given the choice to do it all over again, I would rather go to a regional for $25K/yr over on-demand freight for $40K/yr.

Agreed....I would rather bag groceries at walmart than to go back to a job like that.

always an option

Agreed....I would rather bag groceries at walmart than to go back to a job like that.
And of course that is always an option, fortunately there are a lot of pilots who feel differently and see the opportunities presented by spending 4-5 yrs at USA Jet to develop those skills needed to move onto their next job. For a 1000 hour pilot to come here, get 1000 hrs of 121 TJ PIC and a good chance to also get a FAA designed Check Airman letter does wonders for their careers. We are not a career place, but a place you come to pay your dues in a professional 121 airline environment to give you the skills to follow those pilots who have gone before you to places like UPS, FedEx, DAL, NWA, Jet Blue, AirTran, NJ, etc. BTW Wal-Mart does have better hours.

OK....back to the topic...Allegiant.

I was surprised to see you guys aren't offering service from IWA to LAS. I would think that might have potential to be a highly profitable route. I know there are already about 50 daily flights between PHX-LAS, but people in PHX are starting to catch on to the idea of flying out of IWA.

you're right

And that is exactly the attitude why we can't get a descent pay raise around here!

thanks I was venting...deleted

I think we just got a raise tho, check your stub

Latest resources

Back