• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Fire..again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The issues at Allegiant are no different than any other airline. I have flown at AAY for about three years as well as the largest airline in the country for about the same time.

I have had about the same amount of issues involving smoke, and engine trouble from each company.

The notion that AAY has poor training is false. If anything they are much more focus on systems knowledge due to the large amount of charter contracts that may bring them to unusual destinations.

And finally, Look at where they fly into. These are smaller communities with a large need for a breaking news special about anything. Take a look at the coverage. It's front page news for a week. I had smoke in the cabin out of LGA with my new company and nobody even noticed. I asked my CP a week later and he didn't even here about it.

AAY is a very well structured airline. The planes may be old, but that's becoming more common everyday.

Last edited:
I think every airline out there have problems, please check the Aviation Herlad for all kind of information on any airline.

Feel free to browse, here is an example of Delta's.

http://avherald.com/h?search_term=delta+airlines&opt=0&dosearch=1

Exactly.

It's funny to see all the people jealous of Allegiant on this thread. Wasn't it American that overran a runway in Jamaica and destroyed a jet a few months back?

Dozens hurt when American jet overshoots runway in Jamaica | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Local News

You know, it is just a matter of time before some people really get hurt on an AA jet.

How many MD80s did unsafe Allegiant ground in 2008? Zero. How many did a safe, quality airline like AA ground in 2008? Oh right, it was in the hundreds. Did Allegiant go off the runway in Savannah the other week? Oh no, it was Delta actually.

Which darling cargo airline destroyed an MD11 a few months back? Oh right, that was Fedex.

Which web-board darling destroyed a 747 the other month? Oh right, that was UPS.

So please tell me which airline is perfect and the clear winner to be employed at in the future? You people are simply jealous that Allegiant is profitable, growing, awarding higher pay rates, and pilots at Allegiant are getting fast upgrades. It drives you nuts.

I have posted about this company before and I am sorry but it was only a matter of time. This is no way is an indicator of some of the fine people at AAY but their management. The Owner and Big Boss was a founder of Valujet. Now, some will just keep mentioning the everglades crash and how it wasn't Vdeath's fault but there were many other incidents including engine fires. The truth is MX has always been an issue at AAY. The FAA knew about a lot of the issues at AAY but was convinced to let it grow with the hiring of the current D.O. who the Vegas FSDO had history with. The Old D.O. and now C.P. should have been sacked years ago and/or put in jail for the things he was doing and lying about. AAY is simply another Valujet and will go the way of Valujet and will eventually shut down due to it's infractions. I know I will get flamed for this but the truth is sometimes hard to swallow. Just think about the parallels between Vdeath and Alle Giant. There is no way in hell AAY should be flying 757's on ETOPS not only for the obvious reasons but also for the inexperience of the most senior pilot's that will be flying and check airmen on the 757. The 757 IS NOT an MD80.

We know you have posted about Alllegiant before, on this board and others. Why don't you tell us all how you know so much about the situation at Allegiant? Did you work there at one time? Do you still work there? Why not? I have a feeling that might add a little perspective to your post!

..... AAY is simply another Valujet and will go the way of Valujet and will eventually shut down due to it's infractions.....

Um, yeeeaahhh. Not to rain on your libelous "parade of misinformation" but Valujet didn't shut down. It was recently purchased by Southwest. The name AirTran was used when it was acquired by ValuJet. In the future, visit Wikipedia for a couple of minutes before publicly basking in the glory of predicting the demise of a company and the ensuing loss of jobs.

Last edited:
So, any word on the progress Allegiant is making on 757 ops/ ETOPS? Haven't heard much lately...

As expected the timeline to bring a new aircraft type and acquire Flag/ETOPS authority was grossly underestimated by the people at headquarters. I heard that it took Alaska 20-something months to gain ETOPS approval and that was with an aircraft already on their certificate. Sit tight, it's going to be awhile.

I am really curious as to why and airline that has 51 airplanes has four engine fires/failures in twelve months.. If that's the true case.. That seems very high.
Do any Allegiant guys/gals have the real story on whats going on here?

How about some real data besides media reports and mud throwing...

Thanks

I heard that it took Alaska 20-something months to gain ETOPS approval and that was with an aircraft already on their certificate. Sit tight, it's going to be awhile.

Maybe not that long. Ryan did it in quite a bit less than that, if I remember correctly.

Safety problems
In August 1995, the Department of Defense (DoD) rejected ValuJet's bid to fly military personnel. In a scathing report, the DoD cited serious deficiencies in ValuJet's quality assurance procedures.[4]
The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Atlanta field office sent a memo on February 14, 1996, to Washington, D.C., stating that "consideration should be given to the immediate FAR-121 rectification of this airline"--in other words, the FAA wanted ValuJet grounded. ValuJet planes made 15 emergency landings in 1994, 57 in 1995, and 57 from January through May 1996. In February the FAA ordered ValuJet to seek approval before adding any new aircraft or cities to its network, something the industry had not seen since deregulation in 1979. This attempt at removing ValuJet's certification was "lost in the maze at FAA" according to NTSB Chairman Jim Hall.[5]
By this time, ValuJet's accident rate was not only one of the highest in the low-fare sector, but was 14 times that of the big carriers. After the Flight 592 crash, many of ValuJet's other cost-cutting practices came under scrutiny. It had allowed one plane to fly 140 times despite a leaky hydraulic system, and allowed another plane to fly 31 times with a malfunctioning weather radar.[4]

Fallout from the crash of Flight 592
On May 11, 1996, ValuJet suffered its highest-profile incident when its Flight 592, a DC-9 jetliner flying from Miami to Atlanta, plunged into the Florida Everglades, killing all 110 aboard. The resulting investigation revealed numerous systemic flaws, and on June 17, 1996, ValuJet was grounded by the FAA. On September 26, 1996, ValuJet resumed flying with 15 jets, down from 52 before the crash, after complying with all U.S. Department of Transportation and FAA requirements. On November 4, 1996, ValuJet announced that Joseph Corr, former CEO of Continental Airlines, would become CEO and President of the airline at a time when the airline was in serious trouble. It had lost $55 million since the crash of Flight 592.
After the large amount of negative publicity surrounding the Flight 592 incident, ValuJet suffered serious financial problems. On July 11, 1997, ValuJet announced it would merge with the much smaller Airways Corporation, parent of AirTran Airways. The merged company would retain the AirTran name, although ValuJet was the senior partner and nominal survivor of the merger.[6][7]. In November 1997, the company announced it would move its headquarters from Atlanta to Orlando. On November 17, 1997, AirWays Corp. and ValuJet completed their merger, and the tarnished ValuJet name passed into aviation history.
Today, AirTran makes almost no mention of its past as ValuJet. A large cache of ValuJet memorabilia, including radio ads, remains locked in an Atlanta warehouse. It made no acknowledgment of Flight 592's 10-year anniversary, and did not "make any major corporate announcements on that day out of respect for the victims' families."[8]

Not my words. I would be careful using wik as a reference. Again, I say nothing against the people at AAY it's the management. MG did help start Valujet and ran before he was caught. His history has been jaded for some time. This is not his only rodeo. Jealous, No just concerned that he was let grow too fast. This has happened may times before. VJ was an interesting example as it applies directly to AAY.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back