• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Fire..again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
10/8/2010, For the second time in two months, an Allegiant Air jet has had an engine catch fire while it was still on the ground. A fire broke out on an Allegiant Air plane at the Sanford Airport this morning. The fire is now out and everyone got off safely

10/7/2010, An Allegiant flight G4-485 from Grand Forks,ND to las Vegas,NV (USA) with 152 people on board, was climbing out of Grand Forks cleared to climb 10,000 feet when the crew requested to level off at 5000 feet indicating they might need to return to the airport. A short time later the crew declared emergency reporting a number of smoke detectors had gone off

9/14/2010, An Allegiant Air Boeing MD-82 carrying a college football team to a game in Missouri struck runway end lights and appears to have overran the runway before taking off

8/13/2010, A Florida-bound Allegiant Air jet with more than 100 passengers aborted takeoff from Roanoke Regional Airport this afternoon when an engine caught fire, an airport spokeswoman said.

No Flame or Pun intended, but is this a normal amount of problems?
7/25/2010 ... Allegiant Air flight 645, en route to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway airport from Billings Montana diverts to Flagstaff Pulliam Airport due to an engine fire.:angryfire

.and how many caught fire?

None, but there were a lot of cracks from them missing inspections.

And it sounds to me like the crews involved did good work and should be congratulated. As I recall Allegiant has a pretty stellar safety record.

No kidding. Youll never see my family on that airline.
Would you have put your family on TWA, Midwest, ATA? Do you interview the pilots or check the MX history of the airlines you put your family on?

Stupid statement I'm assuming your looking for a reaction.
Sorry to break the news to you but apparently this had nothing to do with MX issues but was pilot error. It was an unfortunate event that happened to a good, safe guy.

Would you rather put your family on an airline where the crews just practice for emergencies, or have experience dealing with the real thing? :laugh:

757's and ETOPS

So, any word on the progress Allegiant is making on 757 ops/ ETOPS? Haven't heard much lately...

I have posted about this company before and I am sorry but it was only a matter of time. This is no way is an indicator of some of the fine people at AAY but their management. The Owner and Big Boss was a founder of Valujet. Now, some will just keep mentioning the everglades crash and how it wasn't Vdeath's fault but there were many other incidents including engine fires. The truth is MX has always been an issue at AAY. The FAA knew about a lot of the issues at AAY but was convinced to let it grow with the hiring of the current D.O. who the Vegas FSDO had history with. The Old D.O. and now C.P. should have been sacked years ago and/or put in jail for the things he was doing and lying about. AAY is simply another Valujet and will go the way of Valujet and will eventually shut down due to it's infractions. I know I will get flamed for this but the truth is sometimes hard to swallow. Just think about the parallels between Vdeath and Alle Giant. There is no way in hell AAY should be flying 757's on ETOPS not only for the obvious reasons but also for the inexperience of the most senior pilot's that will be flying and check airmen on the 757. The 757 IS NOT an MD80.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back