Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjaviator

Hello Allegiant flyers,
Looking for a bit of advice. I've been with a regioanl for >4 years, in the upper 1/4 of total seniority but am still a FO. (No turbine PIC) I dropped out of upgrade training last year but have another upgrade opportunity in 2 months. 3500 hours TT with 2900 in jets. I get about 15-18 days off right now but that would drop to about 11-12 after upgrade. I live in Orlando so Sanford is perfect for working at Allegiant.
Got called from Pauline for an interview next week. Naturally, I accepted and will go to the interview but what are your thoughts of changing over from my regional position to Allegiant (if hired) if I'm so close to upgrade now?
I am tired of commuting but don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. Is Allegiant much better, the same or worse than let's say NW airlink? Upgrade time is how long? How does Allegiant treat pilots who are still in the military?

I've also put my application in with NetJets with hopes of an interview within the next 6 months. From what I have been educated so far, NJA is the way to go, but I would like some more opinions from guys that work for Allegiant.
I too am a family man so being home at night is nice.

With the SFB base you would be home more at night with AAY then you would with netjets. The other questions are hard to answer, their are just so many details to know. I would think allegiant is better then NW Airlink.

Upgrades are running about a year, there is a lot of growth opportunity for the airline, especially with the recent IPO. They are currently putting some overnites in LAS for SFB pilots but there are still local lines that will let you sleep at home every nite. The pay is improving and we expect another raise later this year. My opinion, if you are not planning on staying at Allegiant and have higher expectations, you might as well take your upgrade to build your turbine PIC time as that is most important. But if you are looking at Allegiant as a last stop, I guarantee you will like it once you are online. Its a great bunch of pilots and a lot of fun.
My opinion only, your mileage may vary.........!

I, too am wrestling with this issue. nwa just allotted 36 jets to rebuild mesaba's fleet, but still do not see much future here. The only reason anyone stays at mesaba is because you can stay at home. But you are a real sap if you think there isn;t another screwing coming from nwa or msa mgmt. down the line.
I'm strongly leaning towards going to Allegiant, if I can pass the interview and receive an offer. The atmosphere at nwa airlink is so toxic, I'd welcome the chance to enjoy flying again, even if it means moving or commuting.

Besides, the MD-80 is a COOL looking airplane...how automated?
FMS, EFIS? Do the FA's at least smile, and are they mostly pleasant?

Any job is what you make of it.

I've never had more fun than I do here. This is a fun place to work. Come to work, fly your 2,3, or 4 legs and go home.

Our 80s all have FMS... Most have EFIS and they're all a blast to fly. I can't complain about our FAs. Some are sticks in the mud, but most are fun and enjoy their jobs.

Lets do the math.......Allegiant- $41 hr and $1 an hour perdiem...ouch
Upgade.......get a type/PIC time and hopefully more than $41 an hour

The MD is a cool looking aircraft but in your close upgrade situation, something better should be right on the horizon......41 bucks for the MD---sad sad world we live in. Oh yeah, and 24 bucks a day!

The MD is a cool looking aircraft but in your close upgrade situation, something better should be right on the horizon......41 bucks for the MD---sad sad world we live in. Oh yeah, and 24 bucks a day!

Here we go again...

For the slower one's in the back of the class...one more time:

Per Airline Pilot Central, first year FO:

Allegiant....$41
American...$35
United.......$31
US Air.......$25-$39
NWA.........$30

As for second year pay, remember to shift over to the Captain column...

Awesome QOL,...growing fast and the money gets better every year.

D1

Muppets,

I can't slam you too much because you've got a Bruins avatar.. but come on. Get your head out of your ass and think about what you're typing.

I like your inputs but have a few more questions if don't mind answering. Is upgrade really just a year? You need either tremendous growth or a lot of upper seniority bailing in my observations with airlines. Allegiant is relatively small in comparison to regionals so I wonder about the actual upgrade time. I don't want to be sucker punched again like I was with who I'm with now.
Also-I read a thread about your insurance; a big issue for family guys (no pun) so when does insurance begin? first day of training, after the checkride, or 6 months down the road?
How long does the training last in LAS. How do folks cope with living arrangements if the company doesn't put you in a hotel?
Thanks....

As of March 1st, the most junior captain will have a 11/05 hire date. Upgrade will hover between 18-24 months at the most. Upgrades will be due to expansion and some attrition.

Our medical insurance is on par with every other airline. It starts the 1st day of the month after you start.. Start class on the 23rd of Feb, it starts March 1st.

Crash pads are plentiful and no one seems to have a problem.

Latest resources

Back