• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegheny Expansion and hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We didn't purchase ALG (US Airways owned all 3 or 4 if you want PSA/ALG/PDT/MidAtlantic) we just basically took over there operation. PDT merged the pilot and FA Groups straight date of Hire.

And now we have proceeded to go from about 110 Dash 8's to about 44 in a short 6 years.

So do you see a trend here?

Heyas Surf,

The trend has been a long one...very easy to follow:

When I got hired by Henson, they had 50 some odd DHC-8s, plus the five DHC-7s. Bases from TPA to SBY, paid insurance, an A fund and hot crew meals.

ALG had Dashes, 1900s and Shorts. PSA flew Jetstreams exclusively. None of the contract operators flew anything larger than a Metro or 1900.

The first shot was giving a lions share of the FL market to FloridaGoof (AKA Mesa). From there, it was a downhill sleigh ride. Had you told me ORF and JAX would be abandoned, but EWN would still be a crew base, I'd laugh in your face.

But don't worry...in 1995, the MEC told me that a flow through was "imminent", and and in 1996 those RJs that Mesa just bought had nothing to do with the USAir operation, and that if USAir ever bought RJs, PDT would be the operator because Rei T already had the AQP training program in place.

The only good thing that ever happened to PDT after Dicky left was that they still only pay $1 a year for the hangar in SBY, and we got to operate some Dashes with APU bleeds that worked in FL for a little while (the -200s...but OOPS, we traded out 100s that went to ALG).

USAir has no interest in growing PDT, or having them operate anything other than essential, short term feed while contract operators who can't get the sh!t together get scolded for their crappy performance.

Ditto for Comair.

Those two outfits remain solely for the purpose of schedule reliability, because contract operators stink.

Nu

Heyas Surf,

When I got hired by Henson, they had 50 some odd DHC-8s, plus the five DHC-7s. Bases from TPA to SBY, paid insurance, an A fund and hot crew meals.

ALG had Dashes, 1900s and Shorts. PSA flew Jetstreams exclusively. None of the contract operators flew anything larger than a Metro or 1900.

The first shot was giving a lions share of the FL market to FloridaGoof (AKA Mesa). From there, it was a downhill sleigh ride. Had you told me ORF and JAX would be abandoned, but EWN would still be a crew base, I'd laugh in your face.

But don't worry...in 1995, the MEC told me that a flow through was "imminent", and and in 1996 those RJs that Mesa just bought had nothing to do with the USAir operation, and that if USAir ever bought RJs, PDT would be the operator because Rei T already had the AQP training program in place.

The only good thing that ever happened to PDT after Dicky left was that they still only pay $1 a year for the hangar in SBY, and we got to operate some Dashes with APU bleeds that worked in FL for a little while (the -200s...but OOPS, we traded out 100s that went to ALG).

USAir has no interest in growing PDT, or having them operate anything other than essential, short term feed while contract operators who can't get the sh!t together get scolded for their crappy performance.

Ditto for Comair.

Those two outfits remain solely for the purpose of schedule reliability, because contract operators stink.

Nu

I got an PDT RJ binder I'll sell ya! lol:puke:

(thats as close to an RJ as the MEC could get us!)

Heyas Surf,

Ditto for Comair.

Nu

+1!

Good history lesson. It is amazing how far we have fallen.

+1!

Good history lesson. It is amazing how far we have fallen.

Now why do ya have to go and curse us? The fall just increased by a billion miles...

Between "Current Book," crazy weather, ridiculous JRM starting up (I am 29:58 in 7 so the number 4 in base gets hit with a JRM), AND we are giving back planes, where does it stop? I guess the silver haired ass clown with the USAPA lanyard I tussled with in Sewark thinks it is okay to sell out 86 seat jets to dried-up-bloody-wound-covering imbeciles while scoping out Q400s. Uhhh, nice crash in CLE, turds. But hey! I can fly circles around them, and so can you.

It was effing magical that the plane I accepted today was tip-top. It WASN'T, but the clowns had MX meet me for the bogus 25-1 MEL. No matter...

I worked 90 duty hours in a week. That sucked.

What was priceless? Looking the mainline guy in the eye in Sewark and telling him I never stole an hour of his flying, ever.

Latest resources

Back