Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All Your Bases Are Belong To Us *or: JPMorgan Guy Says 3 Airlines to Remain by 2014

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree.

I bet DAL has its eyes on three carriers. It is simple to see that DAL will not let AS go to someone else. Their feed out of the NW is just to vital to our PAC RIM ops.

VA? Really? I do not see DAL buying them. We have a AS feed. If anything UCAL would but my guess is that those guys will fold in to AMR or be gone.

In the end it will be the big Four not three. SWA will always be the fourth player.

If LLC wants to be at the table, they will need to get their game in order.

I remember reading a similar article back in the '90s. The author suggested in 25 years, there would only be 4 airlines left...American, United, Delta and the cash-strapped TWA. So who will take TWA's spot on that list?

Rich Pickings

Going forward, he thinks such consolidation would help the airline industry. He said it would allow for future capital to be allocated more efficiently, allowing airlines to cleanup their balance sheets and avoid future bankruptcies.
It's not surprising that an investment bank would tout the benefits of consolidation. They stand to make lots of money from fees for setting up these deals. If one of them turns into a disaster, breakup or bankruptcy will provide even more fees. :pimp:

In the end it will be the big Four not three. SWA will always be the fourth player.

Never say "always" in this industry...history has proven that time and time again. A vast number of factors can be game changers for them (just as it can be for anyone else). Just one example, one aircraft type may save them plenty in training & maint costs, but where will they be if (forbid) the FAA decides to ground that particular aircraft type? Anything could be probable in this business.

Besides, Kelleher isn't running the show anymore and it is becoming noticeable.

When I'm CEO, I'll merge SWA with Alaska, keep Alaskas certificate, buy 777s and have a domestic/international network overnight... (expanding the 777 to Asia/Europe).

Good workforce, good cash balance and lots of feed to the international flights out of OAK/SJC to Asia.

How bout them apples.

Last edited:
If AirTran is to be merged, I hope to God it's not with LCC . . . . Anyone else.

Good point. Why would you want to merge with an airline where almost all pilots are retiring in the next 15 years. There are much better options. LCC is losing money and has no valu. I would be surprised to see LCC around in a few years.

Jetblue and SWA will have a ton of movement when they expand. But the best fit for Airtran would be Repulic airlines. Young, enthusiastic pilot group with quick upgrades thanks to all the jobs they have taken from Midex, LCC, UAL etc.

M

Good point. Why would you want to merge with an airline where almost all pilots are retiring in the next 15 years. There are much better options. LCC is losing money and has no valu. I would be surprised to see LCC around in a few years.

Jetblue and SWA will have a ton of movement when they expand. But the best fit for Airtran would be Repulic airlines. Young, enthusiastic pilot group with quick upgrades thanks to all the jobs they have taken from Midex, LCC, UAL etc.

M

Doosh:
What's it matter who Us Airways merges with, you don't work there. Remember? You wrote it here:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=848465#post848465

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1195007]#post1195007

Stick to the Gulfstream threads, it's where you washed out of after paying for training!:laugh:

VA? Really? I do not see DAL buying them. We have a AS feed. If anything UCAL would but my guess is that those guys will fold in to AMR or be gone.

Yea, I know VX/DAL doesnt make sense right now, but I was thinking eventually Dickie Branson will get onboard with the whole global alliance thing and join Skyteam with Virgin Atlantic and his bunch of global Virgin Group carriers. I dont think Branson would ever allow Virgin America to join AA in an alliance. I know he only controls 25% of the voting stake, but its still his baby. Maybe DAL will wind up with both VX and AS in their side of the stable, It wouldnt surprise me to see AA running for help on the west coast.

Latest resources

Back