Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All Your Bases Are Belong To Us *or: JPMorgan Guy Says 3 Airlines to Remain by 2014

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Voice Of Reason

Reading Is Fundamental !
"Next M&A Hotbed?

Published: Thursday, 9 Sep 2010 | 6:28 PM ET Text Size
By: Drew Sandholm Web Producer

The M&A trend has hit agriculture, technology and pharmaceuticals, so what's the next sector to get caught in the "urge to merge?"

If you ask Jamie Baker of JPMorgan, airlines are primed for consolidation.

"With the potential planned closure of United and Continental [CAL 21.95 -0.19 (-0.86%) ], there's no reason to think that the wheels of consolidation are going to stop turning at that point," said Baker.

With America West/US Airways in 2005 and Delta/Northwest in 2008, it seems that every two to three years there is another merger in the airline industry. That said, Baker wonders what will happen to names like AirTran [AAI 4.24 -0.07 (-1.62%) ], Alaska Air [ALK 46.26 -0.07 (-0.15%) ] and US Air [CAL 21.95 -0.19 (-0.86%) ]. He thinks they'll eventually be rolled into the 'Big Three' and would include: American [AMR 6.10 0.05 (+0.83%) ], Delta [DAL 10.54 -0.09 (-0.85%) ] and United [UAL 131.0 -0.60 (-0.46%) ].

Going forward, he thinks such consolidation would help the airline industry. He said it would allow for future capital to be allocated more efficiently, allowing airlines to cleanup their balance sheets and avoid future bankruptcies.

Baker recommends buying American, Delta and US Airways and expects the next takeover to occur in 2013 or 2014.

Watch the video to see the full interview with Baker."
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39085385

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

I guess this may be why JetBlue wants to go ALPA? What is Alpa's latest policy (can't keep up) on merging (or NOT) non Alpa with Alpa lists ?

Would Delta be able to get Jet Blue & Alaska?

SW to AA?

AirTran?

Soooo....Who gets USAir? :erm:

Let the speculations begin!

Oh, Jamie Baker is a ********************ing genius! How hard is it to figure out that Delta, United and American are going to be the big three? Did he actually get paid for writing that?

AirTran and JetBlue to AMR to shore up their east coast presence

Delta will add the 49th & 50th state to their union

UAL/CAL will slowly digest

USAir will be split. East going to SWA and west going to Republic

Nu

I guess this may be why JetBlue wants to go ALPA? What is Alpa's latest policy (can't keep up) on merging (or NOT) non Alpa with Alpa lists ?

As required by Bond/McCaskill ALPA/non-ALPA mergers are governed by Allegheny/Mohawk.

AirTran and JetBlue to AMR to shore up their east coast presence

Delta will add the 49th & 50th state to their union

UAL/CAL will slowly digest

USAir will be split. East going to SWA and west going to Republic

Nu

I like it, may I add:

AA/jetBlue/AirTran/Alaska
DAL/Hawaiian/Virgin America
UAL/USAir West/Republic
SWA/USAir East/Sun Country/Spirit

Oh WOW!

Imagine how fun that would be to watch Usair East get bought by SWA! That would provide hours of entertainment watching usapa tell SWA how to do things!

That brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

All these geniuses predicted Alaska would be gone years ago. My F15 bros who went there were told " you'll be (take your pick) Delta, United, American pilots one day..." They took a lower pay rate for Q of life and domicile, and stuck to their guns. Roll the tape to 9/11 and now the only guys on the property at UAL and AAL got there before 1999 or earlier...and my Alaska buddies fly floatplanes in their spare time and enjoy living in Alaska.

I am certainly not saying mergers can't happen, but 95% of the time industry "experts" sure seem to be dead a$$ wrong...

Oh, Jamie Baker is a ********************ing genius! How hard is it to figure out that Delta, United and American are going to be the big three? Did he actually get paid for writing that?

Yes. He got paid a lot more than any of us.

Latest resources

Back