All this bad news, on top of age 65.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you don't think Al Queda was worse?

I guess in this industry Seniority really is everything....... sux if ur on duh bottom....... bouyyyyyyyy....

I quit last year at 59 1/2, after the rule was passed. Screw 'em. Got tired of being away from home. Over the last 20 years I spent more nights in a hotel or crash pad than I did at home. It sure is good get up every morning when I want to, go and do what I want to, and go to bed when I want to. And, I ain't near as tired as I used to be, even on more alcohol and less sleep.
:beer:

Last edited:
The effects of 9/11 are well behind us at this point. Face facts: age 65 is screwing over a lot of people at a lot of majors right now, not to mention the regional guys that can't move up.

Yup, age 65 put a major hurting on a lot of people. Once again, pilots eat there young...

A lot of people have gotten hurt in this industry in the past 8 years, not the least of which were pilots in the last 5 years of their careers looking at retirements. Had we not seen the massive A and B plan cuts that came with the bankruptcies, age 65 would still be a fantasy held by masochistic workaholics.

I think the next biggest "clique" of pilots impacted would be the 30-40 year old pilots. Many of us (I am one) were awaiting that dreamed of cushy legacy job on 9/10/01. In the following years, the industry remained essentially stagnent while our lived did the exact opposite. We gained families and mortgages and all of the baggage associated with having a "life." When the next spat of hiring ensued, many were and are unable to make the jump... It is a lot more difficult to take the pay cut when you have baggage than it would have been in your late twenties with fewer responsibilities.

That is the choice I (and a lot of others) are faced with now. Put your family through hell or figure out what life will look like with substantially less lifetime earnings. Not what any of us signed up for, I think.

Actually, the Bush administration has been the most detrimental factor in piloting careers over the past eight years.

Actually, the Bush administration has been the most detrimental factor in piloting careers over the past eight years.

That's right because a good economy with many people spending money on travel is bad for pilots. Whereas higher taxes and less travel from the Dems is good. KISS

Last edited:
That's right because a good economy with many people spending money on travel is bad for pilots. Whereas higher taxes and less travel from the Dems is good. KISS

Yeah, Like when Clinton raised taxes, and the economy exploded with growth.

Bush lowers taxes, starts a ill advised war, and look at the economy now.

Latest resources

Back