• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All Nippon Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep in mind that the medical you do as part of the pre-employment screening is actually a company medical, so some things can be more restrictive than are listed in that link. Your first true JCAB medical is not until after your sim training.

The link worked for me, and I noticed this:

5-1 In the case of an applicant with a history of refractive surgery who has been in a
stable condition for more than six months after the surgery and meets the
criteria for visual functions, he/she may apply for the judgment of the Minister
of Land, Infrastructure and Transport by submitting a record of clinical progress
including a record of the surgery and the results of the following tests:
(1) Diurnal variation of visual acuity (results of 3 or more measurements within
the same day)
(2) Contrast sensitivity
(3) Glare test
(4) Analysis of corneal shape
5-2 If the applicant comes under the criteria described in subparagraph 5-1 above,
provided he/she is doing well after a sufficiently long follow-up period, with
conditions not expected to progress, he/she may thereafter be granted
qualification by a designated examiner by order of the Minister of Land,
Infrastructure and Transport.

The link worked for me, and I noticed this:

This might be a good example of what I was talking about in my prior post. I believe that LASIK will disqualify you for the company medical even though you can technically meet the JCAB medical standards.

However, I am not 100% that LASIK is disqualifying...Best to check with your contract company for a positive answer.

Can any of the guys currently using CREW or PARC help me out. I have a question that has been addressed but I need a clarification. I was leaning towards CREW due to the medical insurance covering the family but the issue of taxes has come up as well. I live in the states and will remain here. Therefore, I know I am responsible for my taxes in the states. A PARC rep is telling me that PARC pays your taxes in Japan and therefore the amount that I would pay is only the difference in the US vs. Japan taxes. In other words, if PARC pays 30% (just picking a tax bracket) of taxes and I still bring home the 8 g's per month, I will not owe taxes to the IRS at the end of the year. This assumes that I am in the 30% bracket and the tax amount happens to equal. This is due to the US will not double tax you if the tax was paid in another country. This is a huge difference in these two companies. The amount paid for taxes would cover a lot of medical insurance for the family. Any info from guys in the states working for either of these would help.

I was talking to both the PARC and HACS rep about the LASIK issue in a meeting we had with the ALOHA guys in HNL. They both said that this would disqualify you to obtain a medical in Japan but since this meeting was almost a year ago now, I sent an e-mail to a PARC rep asking clarification on the matter and this is what she answered.

Hi XXXX

Things are good here in Tokyo, extremly busy but good!
Regarding Lasik, this is a no no in japan. JCAB doctors do not approve this. Any pilots that have this laser or lazik done will not be called for screening with Ana or any japanese carrier.

Can any of the guys currently using CREW or PARC help me out. I have a question that has been addressed but I need a clarification. I was leaning towards CREW due to the medical insurance covering the family but the issue of taxes has come up as well. I live in the states and will remain here. Therefore, I know I am responsible for my taxes in the states. A PARC rep is telling me that PARC pays your taxes in Japan and therefore the amount that I would pay is only the difference in the US vs. Japan taxes. In other words, if PARC pays 30% (just picking a tax bracket) of taxes and I still bring home the 8 g's per month, I will not owe taxes to the IRS at the end of the year. This assumes that I am in the 30% bracket and the tax amount happens to equal. This is due to the US will not double tax you if the tax was paid in another country. This is a huge difference in these two companies. The amount paid for taxes would cover a lot of medical insurance for the family. Any info from guys in the states working for either of these would help.

Can someone please clarify this matter as I understand the above post in regard to double taxation. Does this mean that the contract being offered by Parc is a superior one to HACS? Can someone confirm this please? Thanks.

The two contracts are identical with the exception of taxation and insurance. HACS is a US based company and will therefore take out taxes and give you a 1099 at the end of the year. (normal US job) PARC has you as a contractor and your taxes in the US are your problem. If you want to do any goofy stuff like deposit the pay in accounts based in another country, take your chance. I don't feel safe by thumbing my nose at the IRS. Insurance wise, Parc covers you while HACS covers your entire family. This is all based on my research. It isn't based on my experience. I interviewed using HACS (or CREW, same thing) but was turned down for medical reasons. Also, PARC looks like it pays more. It doesn't. The difference in pay is because they include your per diem in as your pay. (on the T&C paper, at least) Per diem is non taxable to a degree, so that also makes CREW more attractive. Good Luck. I was extremely impressed with ANA and with CREW.

I think someone asked this earlier but can anyone clarify the contract issue? Is there a penalty is one chooses to opt out earlier?

Hi!

I don't know if there is a penalty, but you won't get your contract completion bonus, which is substantial.

cliff
GRB

I applied through Crew in November and my application says "pending evaluation". Does that mean my application is pending evaluation or that an interview date is pending?

Latest resources

Back