All ATP's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dojetdriver

For anybody who has done all ATP's, what are your opinions? Was it tough, laid back? How was the examiner?

I know, I should wait till I upgrade and let the company pay for it. I already tried this once, went to upgrade, got downgraded before I even got to finish training and then eventually furlouhged. At my current company upgrade is atleast 3 years away assuming the sh1t doesn't hit the fan, and then more like 7-8 if I stay on property.

Thanks.

all atps was very good in my opinion. I did not want to mess around wasting time so the 3 day course was suited very well for my schedule. Did my atp training and checkride in riverside, ca.

Last edited:
Hardest part for me was trying to get good in the Seminole in a couple of hours....I had nearly 1000 multi, but no Piper twin time, kept reaching for the trim wheel in the wrong place, etc. Otherwise, it's just not that tough if you're current. Knowing your way around the Garmin 430 smoothes the road, too. They prep you well for the required tasks and oral, I felt like the examiner was looking for a certain level of overall experience and demeanor. The 3 day version works just fine (I already had the written done).

I went there (Phoenix locale) for my atp after a few years in pt 121. I had about 500 hours in a PA44 from previous instructing a few yrs earlier - the instuctor I had didn't know his ass from his elbow when it came to how the systems worked, had no idea how to shoot practice approaches and avoid controlled airspace, or how to teach for that matter. But the airplane was in good shape, available when I wanted it and the rates where cheap.

Griff,
I got my ATP at Sheble Aviation in Kingman Arizona. It costs about $1900 and it's done in Beech Travelair's. They're old, but they fly really nice. The operation is a dump, it's run out of the guy's house and the airplanes are corralled in the back.
The training is also a joke, they send you a packet about 5 pages long with airplane stuff to memorize. It's very simple. My flight consisted of one steep turn, one stall, slow flight, one VOR appch, and one touch and go; it was 1.5 hours of flight training and about 30 minutes of ground, maybe less. It equates to about $800/hr of training + examiner fee, lol, but you're almost guaranteed to pass.
The next day I took my ATP ride. The flight consisted of one steep turn, then flying 20 minutes to LAS, shooting four approaches: ILS, ILS single engine, LOC single engine, LOC circle to land, and then back to IGM for a VOR and a hold while inbound on the VOR at a DME fix. That's it, no other maneuvers. He asked me four questions in the air straight out of the info packet and that was my oral.
It's a small, local flight school, not very professional, but it's an easy pass and that's what counts in the end.

Daytonaflyer is right on about Sheble's. One thing he left out is that it is a lot of fun. Plenty of beer drinking when the day's over and a very interesting bunch of instructors. I did my multi commercial with single add on there for like 3000 or less. The family that runs the school has the art of rating mill management down to a science (Valerie that is). She WILL MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU. DPE is on staff and is the biggest character of them all. He prefers Coors Light. Bring him a case and he might pass you. Just kidding.

Place is a dump but very practical for the operation.
It's also in the middle of an airplane grave yard. I was waiting for Mad Max to show up on the scene if you know what I mean.

Why does everyone call them ALL ATP's when that is not there name? It is just ATP, which stands for Airline Transport Professionals. I know there phone number is 1-800-ALL-ATPS and their website is www.allstps.com but that is not there name. That is not what they go by.

Sorry for the comment but this has always bugged me.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back