• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALL ATPS Multi-Engine Course

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The traning is good and the aircraft are all in good order. It is a good place to obtain an add on.

However of the 10 hours I did, I only got to fly 8.2

If you guys read the description of the programs, you'll see it's not a "10 hour program.." You are given "up to 10 hours" and then you take the checkride.. Most instructors will give you the full or as much as they are able, as it's time in their log book too..

My 8.2 hours consisted of

5.2 hours training
1 hour flight to the examiners local airport for the checkride
1 hour chekride
1 hour return flight to ATP's Base

So, sounds like you didn't bust the checkride, which means.... you must have been prepared right? :)

Did you do your training in ATL?

All ATPS

I did my ATP there (RDU) in 1999. Started studying the writ on fri 0700, took the next day: 92%. A half day training on sat and sun. Took and passed the practical exam on sun afternoon. Worth every pennie.

Yes I was prepared, due to the good instructor that I had but mainly due to learning the booklet before I went (engine out emergencies, the in-flight checklists and the set ups for the maneuvers)

My understanding before I went (quite wrongly) was that I would have 10 hours to prepare and take the checkride, when in fact it worked out to a little over half of that. Im not saying that is a bad thing (obviously as I passed) but if someone has the wrong expectation and isnt ready in those 5-6 hours prep, they would probably be asked for another $225 for every extra hour they need.

Had I been a little more rusty on the maneuvers I dont think atp would have allowed me to practice for 9 hours, with them swallowing the cost of the 2 hour trip to the examiner

As long as guys are aware of exactly what will take place, there is no problem. I just dont think atp make that clear when you sign up

I dunno how much more clear they could make it.. Right off the website is the first sentence you would read concerning the 10 hour program..

" ATP's multi-engine rating program adds multi-engine instrument privileges to your existing Private or Commercial Pilot Certificate. All necessary ground and flight instruction required by the Multi-Engine Practical Test Standards is included. This 4 day course provides up to 8.5 hours of flight training and the use of the aircraft for the checkride."

What part of that paragraph states that 2 hours of that time will be absorbed into flying to the checkride ? And I tranined for 5.2 hours and not 8.5. I can assure that I would felt much more comfortable in taking the flight test with 3 more hours under my belt

Ok, I can't really say what other instructors do, or what they have done..

I try and fly my guys 8.5 every time and send them to the check ride.. I give them 8.5 training, they get 1.5 to the checkride and then the checkride and then the ride home..

I guess I'm sorry you were ready in under 8.5 and passed?? I don't really understand what your trying to get at..

It seemed like you said "I just dont think atp make that clear when you sign up" which made it sound like you thought it wasn't clear that you weren't getting 10 hours of training when you showed up.. So I quoted the website where it states you will get UP TO 8.5.. :)

Up to.. that means.. if you are ready, for a checkride in 5 hours, that's when you go.. if your not ready in 5, you keep going until your ready.. and then you go.. :)

I hope I'll be ready in less hours rather than more.

Tram,

What do most people fail on the checkride from what you've seen. What do they usually have difficulty performing.

In terms of the oral questions, there are a few questions I need some clarification on.

E. What is the function of the nitrogen cylinder?
Assists in feathering the prop.

F. What is the purpose of the spring in the prop dome? Drives prop to High Pitch / Low RPM

Not sure if my answers are correct provided the limited info. in the booklet. It seems the booklet does not provide concrete answers to this. Don't they both concurrently do the same thing, yet they are separate questions. I would imagine that the spring works with the nitrogen-charged cylinder to feather the prop together.
Could you provide a more acceptable answer.

Also, there is no specific answer to this question in the booklet:

What indicates that the gear is in transit and the hydraulic pump is activated?

Here's another:

How do you prevent a heater overheat?
To prevent activation of the overheat switch upon normal heater shutdown during ground operation, turn the three-position switch to “FAN” for two minutes with the “AIR INTAKE” lever in the open position before turning the switch off.

During flight, leave the air intake open for a minimum of 15 seconds after turning the switch to off.

Is this the answer they are looking for? It doesn't seme like the booklet addresses prevention of an actual overheat, unless Im reading it incorrectly. It just tells how to prevent a self-induced one from shutdown. Not just how to preventone from occuring on its own.

Thanks for any clarification.

Latest resources

Back