ALL ATPS Multi-Engine Course

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
for the prop

A combination of nitrogen or air pressure, a spring, blade counterweights and governor-regulated oil pressure is utilized to change the pitch of the propeller blades.

The nitrogen charge, spring, and counterweights are all acting to "feather" the propeller while your governor forces pressurized oil into the prop hub assembly to decrease blade angle and increase engine/prop RPM.

ex.
As the propeller lever is pushed forward, increasing the propeller RPM, a valve in the governor allows increased oil pressure to enter the propeller hub and move the blades to the low pitch (increased RPM) position.

Basically the oil pressure from the governor is counteracting the spring/nitrogen & counterweights.

for the gear

If my memory serves correct, the gear system on the Seminole is the same as the Piper Arrow. Anytime the gear is in transit, you will have a red gear unsafe light. You can verify the hydraulic pump's operation by sight, sound, and feel. You can see/feel the plane pitch when the gear is in transit and also hear it sometime. Also watch the ammeter gague when you raise or lower the gear. Should see a significant jump in amerage being put through the system. The unsafe light will also sound when the gear is not down and locked with the selector in the down position (really?) and when you have the flaps in the approach position without the gear down. Might be some others but I cant remember for the seminole. MP below ___ inches of Hg....?

best of luck

au

The point is, that no one ever feels ready for a checkride so the more you fly the more confidence you have when taking the test. In my case, it was never discussed, the instructor simply booked the ride before he had even had the chance to see what my skills were like. I was passable at 5.2 hours but certainly not competent. The traning for the instrument approach wasnt done until we reached the examiners airport ! What would happened if I had made real mess of that practice approach ?

I had paid for the 10 hours total, so I should have recieved them. I certainly wasnt asking for anything more than that.

$2200 is a 10 hour course, anything flown less than that is just greater profit for the school.

Maybe I should feign poor skills until I've gotten closer to my 10 hours. This all depends on how quickly I think I'll get through. I'm not kidding either. Multi is precious.:pimp:

i did 8.5 training and my checkride was 1.3, passed first time. Most economical and efficient multi course and it was only 30 minutes from my house so I feel it was worth it.

Yeah, the prgroam seems to be good one. I like all of the standardization in callouts and profiles they use. It helps a lot to have the booklet which prepares you so you know what to expect and how to perform everything.

When I'm done, I will continue to use these procedures as guidlines for my instrument flying.

Hipster - As far as what do most people bust on? Hmm.. let's see.. I'll tell you they bust on all sorts of things.. I've had like 4 or 5 busts.. One went the wrong way in a hold, one got with the examiner and thought he was flying a 172 - and fouled up his short fields, another guy put the gear down during a VMC demo, one got all twisted up in an ILS and went full scale deflection.. It varies.. :)

Aucfi pretty much sumed it up as far as your direct questions...

The nitrogen charged cylinder is just that, a cylinder filled with nitrogen that will assist in moving the prop into feather.. The spring essentially does the same thing.. The prop hub fills with oil, which compresses the spring at full rpm, when the prop needs to come back to low rpm oil pressure is reduced and the spring/nitro cylinder help bring the prop back.. Just think of the prop control lever as a oil valve.. all the way up - adds oil.. all the way back pulls oil.. sorta like a push-pull type setup..

Gear in transit is indicated by a "gear unsafe light" also, you can hear and feel the gear pump going.. You can also look at something as simple as the gear mirror on the nacelle.. now you see the gear.. now you don't type thing. :)

Heater overheat is as you described, don't sweat the heater too much.. :)

Tweety - I understand what your saying, but in the description of the program it states "up to" which is a qualifying term.. It means, you could get up to or you could get less.. I try and most of the instructors I know try to get it done in 8.5, as that is 8.5 in our log book too..

Chances are, your instructor will be Jeffrey Grover, unless they have added someone else, not sure.. He's a good guy.

Be able to memorize pages 1-16 in the supplement they send you. Study the gouge they give you and you will be fine. I know that sounds bad, but you actually learn everything about multiengine flying in this whole process.

Also, you will not get 10 hrs, I dont even think I got 8 which included the checkride and the 1 hr flight back from it. If you suck, you may have to go over 10 hrs and you will have to pay extra!

I did the multi program out of Riverside (RAL). I got what I paid for .. a multi ticket in "upto 10 hrs"

Couldn't be happier. Learn to read if you're having trouble figuring out why you didn't get to log all 10 hours.

Latest resources

Back