All ATP flight school=Joke

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Hat said:
Low pressure on top and high pressure on the bottom is only one way to create lift.
The funny part to me is, how few pilots know how a wing creates those areas of relative high v. low pressure. The most erroneous explanation I've heard was that the wing "splits the air molecule". So we fly based on chemistry, huh?

I bet only 1 out of 10 on Flightinfo know the way a wing really works.

radarlove said:
The funny part to me is, how few pilots know how a wing creates those areas of relative high v. low pressure. The most erroneous explanation I've heard was that the wing "splits the air molecule". So we fly based on chemistry, huh?

I bet only 1 out of 10 on Flightinfo know the way a wing really works.
mmmmm...... Bernoulli....... *gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargle*

cforst513 said:
mmmmm...... Bernoulli....... *gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargle*
Well yeah, that's the canned answser. I didn't want to start CFI stuff, but if asked, "Why is there relatively low pressure on the top of the wing", and answereed "Bernoulli" gets the job done but doesn't answer the question.

But why does the Bernoulli effect take place? "Because it's curved" isn't exactlyh correct answer either.

radarlove said:
86 on the written? Don't you get the questions and answers before you even take the test?

I don't think I got less then 99 on any of those tests, I mean, you have the ANSWERS, don't you?

Anything over 70% is overkill:)

A wing works by flapping, much the same way some folks' jaws work when they want to prove how much they know.

Last edited:
radarlove said:
Well yeah, that's the canned answser. I didn't want to start CFI stuff, but if asked, "Why is there relatively low pressure on the top of the wing", and answereed "Bernoulli" gets the job done but doesn't answer the question.

But why does the Bernoulli effect take place? "Because it's curved" isn't exactlyh correct answer either.

Lift is entirely created due to the shape of the wing. The upper surface of the wing is always bulged out more than the lower surface is. The air that meets the front edge of a wing must get past it, to meet up again after the wing has gone by. The bigger bulge of the top side of a wing means the air has to move a little faster to cover the longer distance than air that went under the wing where the path was straighter. Lift is the effect of this difference of pressure above and below a wing. Lift depends on the shape of the wing, the velocity of the air and the density of the air.

Wholly Crap! Who Cares as long as it works!

cforst513 said:
The bigger bulge of the top side of a wing means the air has to move a little faster to cover the longer distance than air that went under the wing where the path was straighter.
Why does it have to move faster? How does the air on the wing "know" that it "must" "move faster"? They're on different sides of the wing, aren't they? Why would air, hitting a bulge, suddenly accelerate to meet back up with its compadres? Bernoulli, as everyone know, showed how this works, but it's not because of air having a little chat from the top of the wing to the bottom of the wing.

This is the standard answer to which I was referring. A quick Google search will probably get you the rest, but I find it amusing that this small amount of detail satisfies the average pilot. It didn't satisfy me, because I didn't understand why all this air has to "meet back up". It doesn't.

Last edited:
Flap, flap, flap.......

Latest resources

Back