• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All AA 757s gettin' the pimp look...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL supplied the test 757-200 to Aviation Partners, hence the leg up. I'm not sure if you can just throw those on the P&W birds though...the FAA might require a similar series of tests.

I wish we'd get some at DAL...every bit of fuel saved helps the bottom line.

Our company installed the Aviation Partners blended winglets on a G-II 13 years ago. The G-II was the launch airplane for the technology and believe me, it works. The airplane looks better, climbs better, handles better and we saw up to 7% more range.

Price then was $450,000 installed. Allowing for inflation, larger aircraft and new engineering, the fact that American is installing themselves, and that they bought 104 sets in one shot, I'm going to guess somewhere around $600,000-$750,000 a copy. If 200,000 gallons per plane per year is accurate, at $2.50 a gallon they'll be paid for in 18 months.

Looks like the first batch proved it to them and now they're jumping in with both feet. Sounds like a pretty good business decision to me.

spanky2 said:
Good that you are getting them............you will notice a siginicant fuel difference between one that has them and one that doesn't. By the way, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Who invented the blended winglet ? CAL ?

Yes, they did. Where have you been? Under a rock?

I think its a bit of a stretch to say CAL 'invented' the blended winglet, however. They just made a smart decision to get involved in the technology.

Pat Fabin said:
I think its a bit of a stretch to say CAL 'invented' the blended winglet, however. They just made a smart decision to get involved in the technology.

Sorry, my sarcasm level must be low.

Back in 2001,

an AA pilot posted on the old Ask and Answer Q&A section of AAPilots.com:

"Why don't we put winglets on all the planes like other airlines are?"

Answer:

"They are for looks only, there is no cost savings..."

My, how things change.

aa73 said:
Yeeeaaahhhh, Papi!

Blended winglet landing lights on a MD80... aa73, what would become of your life? No purpose.... :)

And I agree.. the pimp'd 75 looks good, especially AMR's....

Latest resources

Back