Alcohol Policies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bluto

What is your company's policy on alcohol consumption? 8 hours? 12 hours? None specified (ie. far limit)?

XJT has an 12 hour bottle to throttle rule over and above the FAA mandated 8.

I think before I was hired there were a few occurences of people pushing the 8 hours, and putting them selves in a position where they were not good to fly. I really dont know any details.

It's just stupid to bust the 12 hour rule anyway. You can't afford to screw up like that now-a-days and keep your career going.

Just wait till after your 4-day when you get back home, then slip away to Margaritaville for a couple of days.

Exactly! ASA had a 12 hour rule, then changed it to 8 hours (rumor had it so that it would align with the FARs). Reality is, if you're counting hours until duty in to see if you can have another drink you're probably getting too close and it just ain't worth the risk.

-Blucher;)

CommutAir has no specific policy, other than not consuming alcohol while on company property. So the FAR limit is the limiting factor -- 8 hours until you operate the aircraft. That's nice, because it means I can have a beer with dinner on my typical 10-hour overnight, with no worries other than the price. :D

Common sense alcohol policy as told to me:

1) It will not be worth it if you risk your career for beer and lose.

2) Your colleagues will not be sympathetic if you choose to do so.

3) If your judgement is that bad, you do not belong in the cockpit anyway.

If you have an alchohol policy that calls for something in excess of FAR requirements do you also have flight and duty time restrictions that exceed the FAR's?

Dave Benjamin said:
If you have an alchohol policy that calls for something in excess of FAR requirements do you also have flight and duty time restrictions that exceed the FAR's?

Yep, they won't let us pick up time in excess of 27.5 hours within a 7 day period, although they have no problem assigning such a trip if it benefits them.

-Blucher:smash:

I think the reason ASA reduced our policy from 12 to 8 hours is SIMPLY because they can junior man within an 8 hour call instead of a 12 hour call.

The old "sorry, I just had a beer, but I can be there in 12 hours" didn't work for them.

ASA management would never voluntarily do anything unless it benefitted them !!

Latest resources

Back