• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
also I am trying to find out about crashpads in sea and anc, anyone know if they are plentiful?

ps thanks for the info, helps a lot

Lots of Pads in ANC available. PM me, I can get you info. Between FDX, UPS, NW, AS there are A LOT of commuters up here.

You might stay at the Quality INN which is right next door to Training and ALPA Offices. Costs about $45 a night with cont. breakfast and 10th night free.
This way you can see who's going where and find maybe some folks to crash with at any of the bases.

I had a buddy do this and ended staying through all of training at the hotel.

good idea

I would agree that the Quality Inn is the way to go during your initial training week(s). Once you get to know the others in your class and what their situation is, you may find a crash-pad roommate, etc.

And yes, ANC is junior and will increase it's flying between now and Jan 1st, 2008. There will be zero new hires on the 737 in Seattle for the foreseable future. 22 Capts/19 First Officers reduced off the MD in Seattle, and 26 Capt/10 First Officer positions are being added on our current positon bid. So, a few junior pilots currently in Seattle, may find themselves commuting to LAX or ANC.

If things keep going (or not going) the way they are I think there is going to come a time when everyone qualified to fly the 737 is going to have a line - and all the MD80 guys are going to be sitting at home waiting for a class date.

I doubt anyone will be actually bumped out of Seattle. Once that happens it's going to cost the company money and you would think they would want to avoid that. There are 26 Captain positions in Seattle and 52 open system wide which should cause enough FO slots to be opened up to minimize the chances of anyone getting bumped.

Later

Last edited:
Most likely ANC

Nearly all newhire will be ANC bound, with a few here and there going to LAX. Getting SEA off the bat will be very rare, if it happens at all for awhile.

ANC is expanding, while SEA is shrinking (slightly) with the MD retirements.

Where are most of the new hires going for the rest of the year?

Anyone with a definite answer?

latest bid

http://aspilot.alaskaair.com/Include/PilotAdmin/PositionBidDocs/Final.pdf

ADDITIONS​
In accordance with Section 24 of the Pilot’s Working Agreement with Alaska Airlines, the following Positions will be open[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]to bid:[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma] [/FONT]
Anchorage B737 Base
Seventeen (17) Permanent Captains
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]These are new positions. [/FONT]
Fifteen (15) Permanent First Officers
[FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]These are new positions. [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Effective [/FONT]01Jan2008

Los Angeles B737 Base
Nine (9) Permanent Captains
These are new positions.
Four (4) Permanent First Officers
These are new positions. [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Effective [/FONT]01Jan2008

Seattle B737 Base
Twenty-Six (26) Permanent Captains
These are new positions.
Ten (10) Permanent First Officers
These are new positions. [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Effective [/FONT]01Jan2008.

What I didn't copy/paste are the four retirements and the MD reductions in SEA (22 Capts/19 F/Os). These MD pilots will most likely take all the new positions available in Seattle, leaving little or no room for new hires to get into Seattle this bid. There would have to be six MD pilots to bid out of Seattle, maybe picking up captain in LAX or ANC for there to be one new hire in Seattle. Then again, there may be a handful of Seattle 737 F/Os that bid captain in LAX or ANC. This may add a few new hire slots... Nobody will know the definitive answer until bids are awarded Friday, Aug 10th. So, if I were a new hire wondering where I'd be starting, I'd buy myself a warm hat and some gloves and learn to love the land of the midnight sun (and the sixth month winters). But hey, at least you'll be able to see Hawaii for a few hours and then fly the all-nighter back again!

I interviewed at AS a few years ago now and from what I was reading on the first page, it sounds exactly like my experience. They at one point asked me what my second choice airline would be if I wee not hired at AS and I (DUH!!) said ..... United. All there heads went down at once and they furiously wrote stuff on their legal pads hahaha! Also, check this out, one Captain said; " Son, you give me hope for my son being a pilot someday." I said Oh, how is that sir? and he said ( looking at my HS and college transcripts) " Well, anyone who has gotten these horrible math grades and made it this far in aviation gives me hope for my son". HAHAHAHA! anyhow - best of luck! ( the sim ride is pretty fun!)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back