Alaska vs....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

msmb

Serious question...depending on what the announcement at Comair is...what are the benefits of going to Alaska? I have a family to support and going to Alaska would be a huge paycut for a couple of years. Also I will have to commute for 2 years which means I will miss ALOT of family time. This is tough decision for me, quality of life and all. Of course if the Comair announcement is really bad, that will make my choice alot easier. Yes, I did get an interview call.

If you have to ask spmeone else to "sell" you on it, maybe you should leave it for someone who really wants it, and figure out where you want to be.

FWIW, I remember when I interviewed at AirTran, there were a lot of striking Comair guys offered jobs who left during training to go back when the strike was settled . . . those guys would be 737 or 717 Captains holding good lines now

Go to the Alaska interview. Get hired. Then make your decision. Alaska is STILL a good company to work for. How many years do you have left flying? If you can still crank out a 20 year Alaska career, it should be worth it. You should look 5, 10, 20 years down the road, not just the next 2. When is your interview?

Do what is right for you and your family. Don't ask for verification on this board. You have to realize that pay at the "regionals" is going down. It has to considering the pay at the majors and the fact that the magets...oops, I mean managers all went to the same business school and use the same play book.

Despite all that has happened at Alaska in the past few months, I still like it and it is sure better than a lot of places that I have worked in the past.

msmb said:
Serious question...depending on what the announcement at Comair is...what are the benefits of going to Alaska? I have a family to support and going to Alaska would be a huge paycut for a couple of years. Also I will have to commute for 2 years which means I will miss ALOT of family time. This is tough decision for me, quality of life and all. Of course if the Comair announcement is really bad, that will make my choice alot easier. Yes, I did get an interview call.

When I thought the regionals were getting 90 seaters I would have stayed. For now the pendulum may have swung and 90-110 seaters appear to be headed for mainline.

With that in mind, IMHO (which is often wrong), I see shrinkage in regionals as mainline gets a long awaited shot in the arm. Mainline may take market share from Regionals. I see Alaska as doing well in all this and somewhat insulated from the eastcoast and midwest battlegrounds.

Thanks for the posts. Do you see moral getting better anytime soon? Do you see the pilots going on strike in 2 years? If I had a crystal ball...if I had a doller for everytime I heard that, I could retire now.
I have about 25 years left of flying. The interview choices she gave me were for next week and I couldn't take them... I am calling her back today to set something up for next month.
How is health insurance when you have a family? I heard it went up to some ungodly amount in May. How many retiring in the next 7-8 years? What is the plan as far as purchasing a/c? I know this can change....

Last edited:
msmb said:
Thanks for the posts. Do you see moral getting better anytime soon? Do you see the pilots going on strike in 2 years? If I had a crystal ball...if I had a doller for every time I heard that, I could retire now.
I have about 25 years left of flying. The interview choices she gave me were for next week and I couldn't take them...closing on a new house!! I am calling her back today to set something up for next month.
How is health insurance when you have a family? I heard it went up to some ungodly amount in May. How many retiring in the next 7-8 years? What is the plan as far as purchasing a/c? I know this can change....

Moral is OK for now...it has been better and it has been a lot worse. It depends on the day and the person. Some people are never happy and others just drone along. As far as the crystal ball thing...good luck. Let me know what you find out.

The insurance for a family is 154/month. Not bad when you consider my wifes insurance for the local school district would be approximately 500/month for the family. But our insurance is a far cry from the 30/month I was paying.

We have 351 pilots retiring by 2011. 553 by 2015. Starting next year, the average is 52 pilots per year for the next 25 years. As far as a/c orders. We have 35 -800s on order with 50 or 60 options. How that translates into growth, who knows. We will phase the -200s and the MD out over the next few years and probably some of the older -400s too. We will grow, but how much is a big ???

The scary thing looking forward is Alaska may end up being one of the top paid carriers again with a pension

Last edited:
Even a marginally trained interviewer will see through your "desire" and indecision. Save everyone's time and money and stay at Comair.

Yank, you're missing my point. Anyone would want to get all the info they can before making a decision on where to go.
Mach-thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.

Latest resources

Back