• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska TA is out. Pay Rates.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would that cut into staffing? Any new base requires more reserves. Even a special qualification base. All it does is give the company less flexibility with their reserve coverage, if written properly.

The issue would be; do the ETOPS resreves only cover Hawaii flying or would they cover other flying as well. There are real consequences depending on how the language would read.

Sounds to me like the senior SEA guys want Hawaii and this is a way to get it......

Baja.

Why would that cut into staffing? Any new base requires more reserves. Even a special qualification base..

My fault for being unclear. An additional base would require MORE pilots and reserves (as you point out). That cuts into OVERALL staffing. To cover that shortfall, the Company would be forced to recall the furloughs and perhaps hire pilots to replenish the staffing pool shortages created by the new "base."

Bingo!!! SEA wears the pants on the ALA MEC.

The vast majority of the pilots are based in SEA. Why would the representation be any different my friend? If you want to change it run for office and implement a block representation system to break up the super-rep role call vote.

The vast majority of the pilots are based in SEA. Why would the representation be any different my friend? If you want to change it run for office and implement a block representation system to break up the super-rep role call vote.

Exactly. All it takes is two words in an MEC meeting..."roll call."

Funny thing is, in all the time I've be associated with the Alaska MEC, I can't EVER recall those words being said. Nor can I recall seeing them in a set of meeting minutes.

Unlike, for instance, the old USAir MEC where every vote was a roll call vote.

Chill the "F" out Mr. Sensitive Pants. Blue water flying sucks. You can have it.

Look at the annual shareholders meeting 10k statement on page 10. It says Labor cost have historically made up to 30 or 40 % of an airlines total operating costs.

Then go to page 18 and it says Labor cost are a significant component of our total expenses, Accounting for approx 25 and 30 % of our total operating expenses in 2008 and 2007 respectively.

Also says. Each of our represented employee groups has a seperate collective bargaining agreement, and could make demands that would increase our operating expenses and adversely affect our financial performance if we agree to them.

Then page 32 says they feel that we are the highest unit costs in the industry for the size of aircraft operated.

Page 38 says they expect wages and benifits to be flat in 2009 but increase on a per-asm basis.

After reading the this it makes me think that they are getting a good deal on employee wages and benifits!!!!!

Would someone please explain "roll call?"

We'll get this fixed!

Baja.

Sure. Before every meeting, ALPA National provides a list of every pilot in good standing divided up by base and status.

So, in rough numbers, SEA (900) LAX (300) and ANC (200). Usually, each LEC rep votes one vote on each issue. That's why when you read the meeting minutes items are passed 6-0, etc.

However, at any time, any of the LEC reps can request a "roll call" vote. At that time the reps vote the actual number of votes they control. The SEA Capt. rep has the most followed by the SEA F/O rep, the LAX Capt. Rep, the LAX F/O rep, the ANC Capt. rep and the ANC F/O rep.

In addition, they need not vote their votes as a block. An example: Say the SEA Capt rep gets 25 calls from members against a proposal he supports. He can vote 425 yes votes and 25 no votes. That way he can truthfully tell those individuals he voted their votes against the issue.

If we did business like USAir used to, the SEA LEC reps would demand that EVERY vote at the MEC be a roll call vote, thus they would dominate the MEC and every policy would be skewed in favor of the SEA pilots.

We have NEVER done business that way. The notable exception was the time a pilot was elected MEC Chairman on a roll call vote. The ANC and LAX reps got together for one candidate while the SEA F/O rep was on vacation and neglected to give his roll call proxy to the SEA Capt. rep.

That was over a decade ago. It is the last time the roll call vote reared its head at the Alaska MEC to my knowledge. We have been very concious of respecting the input of the smaller pilot bases and thus the "one rep, one vote" policy has been the unspoken gentleman's agreement.

The option is always there, however. For that reason, everyone knows that if the SEA reps wanted to pull the trigger, they would invariably get their way...providing of course they act in concert.

Latest resources

Back