• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I applied the last time the window was open and was eagerly waiting for this next window to open to apply again. But because of some family issues the next few months would not be a good time to leave for an interview and subsequent training if I am selected. But in 4-6 months I am sure things on the home front would be better to take the time for training (we all know it requires a clear mind and support from home). My question is that I hope the hiring continues, does Alaska plan to continue to hire this year and the next?

According to management, this hiring rate should continue going forward. I don't know, but I would guess that the earliest you would start training is August if that helps.

According to management, this hiring rate should continue going forward. I don't know, but I would guess that the earliest you would start training is August if that helps.

ORD, DFW, IAH & STL turns will reduce the numbers some. Management's projections are always subject to change. Anyone that wants the job (and it is a job) should go for the best seniority number possible. There will be another downturn again. It's a matter of when. No company's immune.

Our contract is more restrictive than the new FARs. Unless we roll over and wet ourselves and give the company the ability to schedule to FAR max, we shouldn't get hurt by the new rules too badly.

Our contract is more restrictive than the new FARs. Unless we roll over and wet ourselves and give the company the ability to schedule to FAR max, we shouldn't get hurt by the new rules too badly.

And I've heard it'll make the gdl/mex turns in the middle of the might illegal.

Thnk god!

Mookie

Our contract doesn't specify a limit on block hour per duty period, therefore that part of the contract is up to the FAR max. On 1/1/2014, the company can build daytime pairings with up to 9 hours of block. No need to ask the union.

And I've heard it'll make the gdl/mex turns in the middle of the might illegal.

Thnk god!

Mookie
I've done that one once. Next time, unless I get a perfect rest on day 3, I'm fatigued.

ORD, DFW, IAH & STL turns will reduce the numbers some....

I'm trying to figure out how more block in one day equals the need for fewer pilots. As of right now, the company can't build lines over 85 hours (except flex months). The company isn't going to get more flying out each pilot.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully by August I can have the flexibility to think about heading to a major training even. As much as I would like to throw my name in the hat this time around, I have too much on my plate. Oh and trust me I have repeatedly thought about the loss of future seniority I would have the longer I stay at a company I do not plan on staying at.

I'm trying to figure out how more block in one day equals the need for fewer pilots. As of right now, the company can't build lines over 85 hours (except flex months). The company isn't going to get more flying out each pilot.

It could potentially reduce soft time. Right now it takes 2 crews to staff 1 Austin round trip with about 2 hours of soft time for the whole trip. The new rules would allow 1 crew to easily staff the round trip with no soft time. Add up the amount of soft time that the new rules eliminate and you reduce the number of pilots by that number. I don't believe that it is a very bid number.

Latest resources

Back