Alaska Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coffee Pot

I have a few questions regarding Alaska, if you wouldn't mind taking the time. Search proved fruitless.

(1) What kind of retirement/pension could one expect? APC indicates "varies." What does that mean? Is there a formula? What can one expect from a 20 to 25 year career?

(2) I remember when the arbitrator imposed the pay and CBA cuts, but just exactly what was that for? I don't remember a bankruptcy filing. Why would you be subjected to such a pay and work rule cut? I'm sure I don't have all the facts.

(3) There are no MD-80 rates on APC. Are they all gone now?

(4) Is LAX still fairly junior?

(5) What is your honest opinion on upgrade times in the foreseeable future?

Thanks for your time.

Anyone that isn't putting 20% of their cash into 401(k), IRA, or some other retirement vehicle, expecting to get a pension at retirement from their employer as been asleep at the wheel for the last 10 years.

If you fly for Alaska Airlines and you have to fly to Alaska, do you have to go outside if it's cold?

Also, why is there a picture of Barbara Bush on the tail?

I have a few questions regarding Alaska, if you wouldn't mind taking the time. Search proved fruitless.

(1) What kind of retirement/pension could one expect? APC indicates "varies." What does that mean? Is there a formula? What can one expect from a 20 to 25 year career?

You will not get a pension. You will get 13.5% put into your 401K by the company. You do not have to match to get it.

(2) I remember when the arbitrator imposed the pay and CBA cuts, but just exactly what was that for? I don't remember a bankruptcy filing. Why would you be subjected to such a pay and work rule cut? I'm sure I don't have all the facts.

It was called "binding arbitration". ALPA National hated it. It was in our contract and now that it has been used once, it is gone forever. It basically brought our wages down to bankruptcy level. It allowed the company to survive (and now prosper) without actually having to go through bankruptcy like the rest of the industy. It wasn't fun (I took a 30% pay cut) but it is water under the bridge now.

They have been gone a long time. The B737-400's are scheduled to leave the fleet in the 2014 to 2016 time frame.

(4) Is LAX still fairly junior?

Yes but ANC is the junior base (both seats) now. I still can't wrap my mind around that - it use to be the most senior.

(5) What is your honest opinion on upgrade times in the foreseeable future?

Right now the junior Captain is 12 years. I think we might see that drop to 10 years once the 65 year olds start to die off.

Thanks for your time.

Good Luck.

1. All newhires receive 13.5% company contribution

2. All B737 fleet. MD's left several years ago.

3. Arbitrators award was a product of Alaska process of contract negotiations. Arbitrator used bankrupt company pay rates (and specifically did not use WN) to determine Alaskas pay rate, among other things, even though Alaska was not in bankruptcy. Lesson....NO to baseball style arbitration.

4. Upgrades currently running at 12 years, but is subjunctive to come down over the next 18 months, particularly after 12/13/12.

Subjective, not subjunctive. Damn auto spell.

5. LAX is second most junior, behind ANC.

Subjective, not subjunctive. Damn auto spell.

5. LAX is second most junior, behind ANC.

This statement is technically not true as the junior ANC pilot is 1431 and the junor LAX pilot is 1435...so that would indicate LAX is the most "junior". That being said...taken as a whole (when you get an open line, when you get a line, etc) I would agree that ANC is the most junior. Everybody currently at the company could have held LAX if they wanted it.

That being said that was based on the last bid which had an effective date of JULY 1. I think LAX went junior because you don't suffer through this past winter in ANC and then leave just when it's getting good. I think when the bid with an Oct 1 effective date comes out you will see more people leaving to escape another winter.. I know I will be.

Good luck.

QUOTE]

Please don't take this as a slam...because it's not...however your question indicates to me that you haven't really been paying attention to Alaska as the MD80's have been gone for several years...again not a slam.

Be aware that there are A LOT of questions in the interview used to judge how much you know about Alaska. I remember being asked "name the 737 variants that Alaska flies", "name our latest destination?", "what is the 2010 plan?", "when did we start flying to the East Coast?", "name our east coast destinations", "name our Mexico beach destinations?"

It isn't necessary to get every question right because I didn't and I still got hired but I think you gain points the more you know.

Anyway, good luck.

Ok so it looks like SEA is the most senior base. What is the time line for FOs to hold SEA, and how long does it take to be a line holder in SEA as an FO?

Latest resources

Back