Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska pilots: who would you prefer buy you?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This Southwest pilot would consider being purchased by a rich, single, smokin' hot nymphomaniac.

Jus' sayin'...

Bubba

Even when the CEO controls the money side of the equation? Good luck with that, especially when there's a large difference in contracts.

So back to the original question. Who's in play.

Delta? I don't think they would get past the DOJ on the size.
AA/US? The same, especially since they aren't close to completing theirs.
UA/CAL? A mix of both of the above.
HAL? Not sure that works too well together with two very specific regions.

Pretty much leaves Southwest.

What are the other ideas out there?

How do you figure DL, AA/US, or UA/CAL + AS would be too large...but not AS+SWA???

Alaska does not dominate any market...even in SEA, we don't dominate to the same level that Delta dominates ATL, AA dominates DFW or US dominates CLT.

Alaska wants to be independent, so AS isn't going to go out and buy anybody. They have their "growth" plan locked in for the next decade, assuring the current managements job-security for the forseable future so that requires somebody to buy AS.

HA, Republic, Mesa, Skywest, forget it - AS would be too big a prey.

SWA - If there is any DOJ justification to intervene, I think it lies with SWA. That being said, I think SWA is not going to be interested in acquiring anyone for a very long time.

AA/US - The west coast is the backwater of the US as far as AA is concerned and I think they are perfectly happy sub-contracting the flying out to AS.

JBLU - I think it would be a great match up if it were a merger but I don't think JBLU is big enough to do it without the cooperation of AS management.

UAL/CAL - I think this is a very good possibility since they don't have anything to lose. In the 90's, everybody was sure that the big merger was going to be NWA/CAL for the same reasons that the popular prediction is DAL/AS today.

DAL/AS - I think it's still the most likely for reasons that have already been discussed.

Those are the two entities that I see as well. I also agree with GL that DL/AS would have absolutely zero problem passing both DOJ/DOT scrutiny. As was already stated, even after those two got together they would still be smaller than the combined AA/US combination. I do see either WN or DL going after AS in the next five years though, although I would say its a coin flip as to which Airline AS would decide to hookup with.

Let's see... 1) 2 ALPA carriers, merging an SLI with an actual arbitrator making the decision.
or
2) A force fed SLI from a CEO, after expressly consenting to arbitration.

I'm sure the Alaska MEC won't have any trubble picking a side.

In my opinion UAL has the best route structure of all the big three. Check back in 7 years, I think their layout will have them dominating air travel in our country. Well by dominating I mean they will be the airline AA and DAL will be chasing and trying to emulate.
Independence would be great but if not I think the airline to be at is UAL

The question is...who has $4.5-$5.0 billion sitting around to buy 120 planes? Alaska is very expensive right now.

Who uses cash to merge airlines? It would be an all stock deal no doubt.

In my opinion UAL has the best route structure of all the big three. Check back in 7 years, I think their layout will have them dominating air travel in our country. Well by dominating I mean they will be the airline AA and DAL will be chasing and trying to emulate.

Ah, the dreams of what united has been and SHOULD be.

That's why the collective management of united has been so sad-
So much potential for greatness, but they toil in spite of themself

I'm former Continental now merging into UAL... Something is a miss at ole UAL. It's hard to see from the outside, but this is not just bad management. The agents, flight attendants, and to a somewhat lesser extent the pilots, are all a big part of the very big problem UAL has. UAL employees just walk around in a pissed off haze with no real idea what they are doing. The problem goes way back; ESOP was an attempt to break this, and it did not work. The ownership aspect of ESOP was lost on them and instead of taking care of their company, they squeezed all the "golden eggs".

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back