Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska pilots - please think twice before you vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guess she thinks that Alaska and the lawsuits/inquiries won't be pulling the plug on them. Wow! How long did she work for Alaska?

Actually, I agree with you all about VSA while there are furloughs. Personally, I think we should negotiate a sideletter that suspends ALL VSA when there are pilots furloughed.

My point was only valid for normal operations during non-negotiating periods with NO pilots on furlough.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Greed? How about the greed of the whole anti-VSA crowd. The ONLY reason YOU'RE opposed to it is YOU think its impeding YOUR upgrade.

News flash, sport. The Company only uses VSA for 2-3% of the total flying schedule. That's not enough for any upgrades.

So, who is the greedy one? You'll change your tune when you're senior. Remember, it was the PILOTS who introduced VSA to the contract. It was sold as the "Senior Pilot's Pay Raise" during a concessionary contract cycle.

If YOU can honestly tell yourself that this TA is good for the majority, then you have done all you can. Just by your quote, "you'll change your tune when you're senior" just voided your credibility. So are you saying that since you are senior, this TA is good for you and the rest of the senior pilots? FYI, I am senior enough that if this TURD passes, it won't effect me too much. Heck, it's even a pay raise.
What I'm saying is this. This TA clearly sells out the young and divides the pilot group. This profession has been like this ever since I can remember and this viscious cycle has to stop, and the time is now. I am not trying to sound righteous. I, too, REALLY need any sort of a pay raise desparately, but not at the expense of our future and our young. We have a chance to make a stand and to me, it's worth the risk. Let's not lose sight of the big picture.

Sorry, but YOU'RE the guys dividing the pilot group by using terms like "sell out". No one is getting sold out. Provide an example, please?

New hires? No A plan? I can make the argument that a B plan retirement program actually keeps the money in the hands of the pilot. UAL and USAir pilots KNOW how trusting the Company with your pension goes.

Upgraders? Every single pilot's upgrade potential is determined by the economic circumstances and expansion timing of the airline he works for. We have people at Alaska who, because of when they hired on, made Captain in 18 months. But that was during an expansion cycle. Likewise, Pan Am and TWA pilots in the '70s could expect a decade on the panel of a 727, 8 years as an F/O and a couple years as a Captain.

No, my friend, the contract isn't limiting upgrades, the economy is. Remeber the campaign slogan, "Its the economy, Stupid." That's where we are. Upgrades stagnate when airlines don't expand. Period.

Line holders? See above post for a dozen reasons why they're not getting hurt.

Reserves? Reserve always has and always will suck. However, its a LOT better now than when I was an F/O on reserve.

So, you let me know who is getting sold out. I don't see it.

If YOU can honestly tell yourself that this TA is good for the majority, then you have done all you can. Just by your quote, "you'll change your tune when you're senior" just voided your credibility. So are you saying that since you are senior, this TA is good for you and the rest of the senior pilots? FYI, I am senior enough that if this TURD passes, it won't effect me too much. Heck, it's even a pay raise.
What I'm saying is this. This TA clearly sells out the young and divides the pilot group. This profession has been like this ever since I can remember and this viscious cycle has to stop, and the time is now. I am not trying to sound righteous. I, too, REALLY need any sort of a pay raise desparately, but not at the expense of our future and our young. We have a chance to make a stand and to me, it's worth the risk. Let's not lose sight of the big picture.

Don't you have three FO status reps on your MEC? I seriously doubt that three FOs are all "senior," so how exactly have the senior pilots sold out the junior? It was a unanimous vote to recommend the TA for ratification. Sorry, but I've never bought the whole senior vs junior conspiracy theory. Your MEC recommended this TA because they think it's a great deal for the entire group, and they think it's the best you're getting to get. They aren't trying to "sell out" anyone.

Don't you have three FO status reps on your MEC? I seriously doubt that three FOs are all "senior," so how exactly have the senior pilots sold out the junior? It was a unanimous vote to recommend the TA for ratification. Sorry, but I've never bought the whole senior vs junior conspiracy theory. Your MEC recommended this TA because they think it's a great deal for the entire group, and they think it's the best you're getting to get. They aren't trying to "sell out" anyone.

Do you fly for Alaska Airlines? Did you read the 292 page TA? You don't believe in the senior vs. junior conspiracy theory? Just look at the major vs. regional debacle, or the age 65 bull $hit. If ALPA or the senior guys really cared for the junior guys, do you think that we would have such a huge disparity between the regional world and the majors? Fubi just showed his true colors by saying, "you'll change your tune when you're senior". Now, what exactly did he mean by that? Hmmmmmm.
I totally believe that our MEC thinks that it's a great deal for the entire pilot; no doubt. I never said that our MEC/NC sold us out by presenting this TA. What I'm saying is that, IMO, there are things that need to be tweaked and it's no disgrace for the NC to go back to the table. The company and the NC satisfied the mediator by agreeing on a TA. Membership ratification is whole different process. I can't see how the mediator would punish us if we as a group voted this down. The mediator's job isn't to ratify a TA, but to work with both sides to agree on a TA; he did that already. So, to say that the mediator will park us if we don't ratify this TA doesn't make sense.

Latest resources

Back