• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, in theory, ANY mandated retirement age is discriminatory. Not that I'm an advocate, per se. Just sayin'...

Of course it is discriminatory. But is discrimination always a bad thing? We discriminate every day in regards to the people we associate with, the food we eat, and businesses we patronize. In the name of safety the smart people will always discriminate. I listened to the FAA Surgeon General testify in front of Congress in 2003 or 2004 in regards to changing the retirement age to 65 and he testified that it would be a bad idea and used science regarding the aging process for his argument. Cognitave skills go down starting at 55 and really take a hit in the early 60s. All sorts of disease....heart, cancer, and diabetes also manifest at a higher rate as we age. Sure some will do just fine going to 65 but his point was why pass the risk onto the general public. Seems his successor chose to suck up to Oberstar and push this travesty through. On a personal note, my dad is 70 and he started driving like crap at around 62. If he were a pilot I would not wanted to fly with him at the helm. I would not want to babysit him either.

So, rumor is SkyWest is flying some of the "ex-Horizon" routes with the CRJ-900. How do you guys like them apples? Feeling a bit threatened yet? I think you should..

The Military Vs. Civilian thing does not cut it with me. Make no mistake, I respect everyone who wears the uniform and am thankful for their service. That being said, I would have gladly done 10 years flying for Uncle Sam over the 8 years of flying for the regionals that I had to work for. (and before you ask - I tried - couldn't get 20/20).

Don't worry Fubi - If all goes well, I would like to be gone by 57 or 58, but I will be here no later than 60 (and two months) when I hit 30 years with company.

Which means at 30 years old, you were an F/O at a major airline. Unfortunately 9/11, Age 65 and $150 a barrel oil conspired to delay when YOU expected to upgrade.

You can only play the cards you're dealt.

...So while they were serving their country for less than RJ wages...

Not sure what RJ wages you are talking about...but somehow I doubt this is true...THE SAME maybe...LESS THAN...highly unlikely.

Our QX president last week told people that we are going to start ANC - FAI shuttle service next April 2012. With a QX ANC base.

Latest resources

Back