Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska L-39 NTSB Preliminary Released...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You need to read the local rag

FN FAL said:
Here's the real question...how come who ever sold these items to the L-39 operator isn't mentioned in any indictments?

You're gonna have to register but if you're really interested in the "back-story" go to www.adn.com

Do a search on Security Aviation. Lots of interesting stuff lately.

I'd summarize it for you but I don't have the time and I'd probably get something wrong.

Real cops and robbers stuff.

mar said:
You're gonna have to register but if you're really interested in the "back-story" go to www.adn.com

Do a search on Security Aviation. Lots of interesting stuff lately.

I'd summarize it for you but I don't have the time and I'd probably get something wrong.

Real cops and robbers stuff.
Thanks mar, the link worked and I didn't need to register to do the search.

My thoughts on what is "really" happening with this guy?

The guy is a big time poseur, as well as being a petty criminal. He has had brushes with the law on fraud type offenses. At various times he has claimed to be a professional rodeo cowboy and a former Navy Seal. The pro rodeo cowboy claim was on some sort of financial application along with claims of ficticious winnings, none of which happened, hence the fraud. Anyway, I think it was posing as a Navy Seal that got him in trouble. Now, real Seals do not like fakes who claim to be Seals, and my guess is that his legal problems have as much to do with some former seals, currently in the FBI and/or ATF looking for some payback than they do with actual interest in a rocket pod with no rockets which nobody cared about before, and may have already been demilatarized.

But hey, that's just my baseless speculation.

A Squared said:
My thoughts on what is "really" happening with this guy?

The guy is a big time poseur, as well as being a petty criminal. He has had brushes with the law on fraud type offenses. At various times he has claimed to be a professional rodeo cowboy and a former Navy Seal. The pro rodeo cowboy claim was on some sort of financial application along with claims of ficticious winnings, none of which happened, hence the fraud. Anyway, I think it was posing as a Navy Seal that got him in trouble. Now, real Seals do not like fakes who claim to be Seals, and my guess is that his legal problems have as much to do with some former seals, currently in the FBI and/or ATF looking for some payback than they do with actual interest in a rocket pod with no rockets which nobody cared about before, and may have already been demilatarized.

But hey, that's just my baseless speculation.

Yea, there is a little bit of creepyness with the memrobilia that he has, but that really is one thing. One of the news articles said he a .45 pistol with silencer, the silencer is regulated as Title II firearm and would get you the same attention as the rocket pod...as well as the same punishment.

Since we haven't heard any news about the silencer, we have to assume that it was registered in the NFA registry and that a tax was paid. So, this Kene [sp?] guy was familiar with the NFA Firearms process. One would have to assume that if this is true, that he was convinced that the racks were demilitarized. What point would it make to comply with NFA Tax law in one instance, then try to save a couple hundred bucks with something that was going to be so transparent in another situation?

FN FAL said:
Yea, there is a little bit of creepyness with the memrobilia that he has, but that really is one thing. One of the news articles said he a .45 pistol with silencer, the silencer is regulated as Title II firearm and would get you the same attention as the rocket pod...as well as the same punishment.

Since we haven't heard any news about the silencer, we have to assume that it was registered in the NFA registry and that a tax was paid. So, this Kene [sp?] guy was familiar with the NFA Firearms process. One would have to assume that if this is true, that he was convinced that the racks were demilitarized. What point would it make to comply with NFA Tax law in one instance, then try to save a couple hundred bucks with something that was going to be so transparent in another situation?

I agree, something's not adding up, that's one of the reasons for my speculation that the atf/fbi's motives are grounded more in *who* he is rather than what he poseses.

So anyways......I was in Ketchican the other day and the folks at the airport were talking about the crash. The ceilings and vis were pretty low with a tailwind coming down the only approach (ILS) at a good clip. He opted to make right traffic (which is not authorized) and is over the town. The eye witnesses said he clipped a hill damaging the a/c, dropped his drop tanks and tried to point the nose towards the mouth of a creek in order to minimalize collateral damage and ejected but the rig went T/U and he died. One of our pilots had dinner with him in SIT the night before and it sounded like the whole ferry operation was pretty sketchy...no gyros or reliable instruments in a land of nasty IMC. Getting paid to do a job and not living long enough to collect it is a poor choice in my book.

A Squared said:
I agree, something's not adding up, that's one of the reasons for my speculation that the atf/fbi's motives are grounded more in *who* he is rather than what he poseses.

That would be interesting. Here's that "howitzer" I said was for sale...I guess once again I was wrong. It's a 3" 50 Caliber Naval gun. Classified as a Destructive Device. Only 28 grand.

I suppose as long as you don't own a plethora of funny looking military hats and have a fetish for collecting police badges and shoulder patches, you could probably own this gem without being indicted by federal prosecutors for being a "rogue cowboy" guy. :laugh:

Full Disclosure Notice: I am passing this ad along from a friend. No, I (regretfully) do not own this wonderful little item, will not be paid if it sells, etc. His phone number has been edited out of the ad; just send an email if you're a serious buyer and you can take it from there.

Alright here is a real beast for sale. The Navy 3 inch 50. This gun is a live, and uncut. It has been mounted on an unknown type military wagon style trailer. The trailer is heavy duty with 4 outriggers. This gun looks like it belongs on this trailer. The gun can easily be removed from the trailer for stationary fun or a lawn ornament. The gun can elevate to almost 90% and depress to the negative. It can traverse 360%. The gun is designed to be fired with two people. One person on each side of the gun. Each person has fire controls. One person adjusts the elevation the other windage. This is all kinds of fun just to play with in the yard. This gun is extremely shootable with ammunition components very common and inexpensive. Gun will come with approximately 15 pieces of steel cases and 40 projectiles. This gun was at the SAR show if you were there.

Someone in AZ needs to step up and buy this beast. It very well could be one of the funnest shooting guns we have had and I really want to be able to see it again

All for the smoking price of 28,000

For a pic of the gun click the link:
http://tinypic.com/jjv6z8.jpg

For more information on the gun check out this web site:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_3-50_mk10-22.htm

Email or call for questions
Bob
[email protected]

blingair said:
It is interesting. I could see where something like that would fun to have for a conversation piece.

You and I both could guess off the top of our heads that something like that must require paperwork...who would buy such a thing without at least asking around? And in reality, you can't just take possession of something like that without your ATF paperwork in hand, the seller wouldn't allow it for one. Can you say CONSPIRACY?

However, if it had a plug welded over the muzzle, would that mean that it was DE-MILITARIZED enough to meet ATF standards for pulling the device out of the registry? Wouldn't that action alone, make the naval gun a huge paper weight? I don't know...and that's where the correlation is made to the case of the guy with the alleged Destructive Device rocket pods. At what point would they have become just metal objects that "looked" like a functioning rocket pod?

If I am not mistaken I seem to remember that the ATF's definition of being de-militarized enough, is that it should take more than 8 hours for a person to get the object functioning as Title II firearm again. Whatever that means? Skilled or unskilled? Hell, I'd have to learn how to use specific tools before I could consider pulling a welded plug out of naval gun barrel...just learning how to take the plug out could take more than 8 hours. I'll have to go look that one up.

Last edited:
There was two of these L-39s that were repo'd and were to be flown from ANC-SEA, one was in such bad shape that it landed in Sitka and remains there today and the other one of course crashed. Its a pretty cool looking airplane but hardly a fighter, at least by American standards. Seems like these things are the new doctor killers behind the Cirrus I mean.
FAL: because I'm a nerd, I just bought one of those tactical slings like the gents in your avatar...its really comfy. I can vaccum the house, pick up the kids from tennis, do the dishes, mow the lawn, shave and hardly know its there. I'm really good at sweeping and clearing my own house. I highly recomend it to anyone who wishes to have 30 rounds of deadly .223 at their disposal. Also works well with the AK.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back