• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Alaska - G.S. FIRED?

igneousy2

Total Time
100+
Press Release - 12/8/08

[SIZE=+0]SEATTLE — The Alaska Air Group board of directors and Bill Ayer, chairman and chief executive officer, today announced a realignment to strengthen the company’s senior leadership.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]As part of the changes, Brad Tilden has been elected president of Alaska Airlines, reporting to Ayer. Previously Alaska Air Group’s chief financial officer and executive vice president of finance and planning, Tilden will oversee the airline’s operating divisions and marketing, in addition to retaining responsibility for network planning and revenue management.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]“Brad’s engaging leadership style and strong values, coupled with his financial judgment and commitment to ongoing process improvement, make him the right person to take on expanded responsibility for our operations, marketing, planning and customer experience as we continue to improve our long-term competitiveness,” Ayer said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Tilden joined Alaska Airlines as controller in 1991 and was promoted to chief financial officer in 2000. Prior to joining Alaska, he spent eight years with the accounting firm of Price Waterhouse at its offices in Seattle and Melbourne, Australia. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in business administration and is a private pilot.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Replacing Tilden as chief financial officer and executive vice president of finance for Alaska Air Group and Alaska Airlines is Glenn Johnson, formerly Alaska Airlines’ executive vice president of customer service – airports and maintenance and engineering. In addition to leading the company’s finance organization, he will oversee information technology, strategic planning and corporate real estate.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Johnson has had a long career at Alaska Airlines and sister carrier Horizon Air in a variety of finance and customer service roles, including vice president of finance and treasurer at both carriers. “Glenn’s extensive background in finance, as well as his operational and customer service expertise, makes him uniquely qualified to lead our finance, real estate, IT and strategic planning efforts at this critical time,” Ayer said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]The company also announced the election of Ben Minicucci as Alaska Airlines’ chief operating officer and executive vice president of operations. Previously vice president of Seattle operations, Minicucci will report to Tilden in this new position, and will lead flight operations and maintenance and engineering, in addition to airport customer service. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]“In the year since Ben assumed leadership of our Seattle operation, he has re-engineered a host of operational functions, resulting in dramatic improvements to our on-time performance and baggage handling. Through this promotion, he will be more directly positioned to drive similar improvements throughout our network,” Ayer said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Minicucci was Alaska Airlines’ staff vice president of maintenance and engineering before overseeing the airline’s Seattle operations. He came to Alaska from Air Canada and a [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]14-year career in the Canadian Armed Forces, where he was responsible for aircraft maintenance. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mechanical engineering. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Stepping into a vice president role leading Alaska Air Group’s planning and revenue management, reporting to Tilden, will be Andrew Harrison. Formerly managing director of planning, Harrison joined Alaska Airlines after a 16-year career in public accounting.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]As part of the leadership changes, Gregg Saretsky, formerly Alaska Airlines’ executive vice president of flight and marketing, will leave the company. “Gregg is a highly respected leader who guided our transcontinental expansion and built a strong marketing organization that has helped us fend off relentless competition,” Ayer said. “We appreciate his many contributions during his 10 years at Alaska.”[/SIZE]

Last edited:

igneousy2

Total Time
100+
What's the deal with our new boss Minicucci, good, bad, ugly....better/worse than G.S.?

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM
Maybe it's a peace offering since the company wants to get the contract done this year.

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM
Wait a minute. . . Didn't Anderson leave NWA only to become their CEO through Delta?

Why am I seeing Admiral Ackbar yelling, "IT'S A TRAP!"

mach none

wishin I was on a boat
Total Time
1+
Does it matter who replaces him? There will be a honeymoon period with for the new guy with guys saying he is great, they loved him at XX, and than they always turn out to be pricks.

Last edited:

Chief Pilot

Total Time
>0
Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya GS.

This should serve as yet another reminder of how little these guys really have "invested" in the companies they run. They stay some place for ten years, collect their money and head to the next cash cow. It is about greed, power and ego for these folks.

Pilots have the most at stake and generally the most invested at these airlines, because we cannot make a lateral move and have a similar quality of life if we switch airline jobs. In order to protect our "investment" it is important to stay unified and not let these guys continue to line their pockets at our expense.

I have no problem with CEO's and senior management making good money, as long as it doesn't come out of my pocket and my ability to feed my family.

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
brought in the money guy to facilitate the Delta acquisition

luckytohaveajob

Total Time
1+
I have no problem with CEO's and senior management making good money, as long as it doesn't come out of my pocket and my ability to feed my family.

Your statement is a complete contradiction. Did you see the video story on the JAL CEO. When the pilots and other workers took a pay cut, the JAL CEO took a pay cut.

Your statement says, you want to see the CEO take a raise when he furloughs or cuts pay and benefits.

When is everyone going to wake up!

Capi_Cafre'

Say...what...again!
Total Time
<10
What's the deal with our new boss Minicucci, good, bad, ugly....better/worse than G.S.?

An Air Group manager is an Air Group manager is an Air Group manager. It's just somebody else's turn at the trough.

Chief Pilot

Total Time
>0
Your statement is a complete contradiction. Did you see the video story on the JAL CEO. When the pilots and other workers took a pay cut, the JAL CEO took a pay cut.

Your statement says, you want to see the CEO take a raise when he furloughs or cuts pay and benefits.

When is everyone going to wake up!

Lucky,

I'm not sure where you are drawing that conclusion. Did you even read my post? How do you get that I want to see a CEO take a raise while employees take pay cuts and are furloughed? Where is the contradiction? I guess I will clarify since my meaning may have been unclear. Maybe the word "my" threw you off when I said:

"I have no problem with CEO's and senior management making good money, as long as it doesn't come out of my pocket and my ability to feed my family."

I guess I should have said:
"I have no problem with CEO's and other senior management making good money as long as it doesn't come out of OUR pockets and OUR ability to feed OUR families."

In other words, there needs to be accountability at the management level so that these folks don't swoop in and get rich over a short period of time, then leave with their briefcase full of cash after having destroyed our way of life.

My head is on the furlough chopping block as well, if the numbers that have been thrown out there are accurate. Hell, GS probably got a severance package that would pay the salaries of the current furlough letter recipients, and then some.

Last edited:

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
Ben Minicucci hates pilots even more than GS does. I mean he makes it quite clear to anyone in the room that Alaska pilots are to blame for all of the company's ills. I wonder if Greg was fired because he wasn't hard-nosed enough so they brought Ben in.
Nothing will change at the negotiating table. They will still not send anyone who has any authority to do anything but to delay an agreement.
I am now more convinced than ever that we are going to be on strike in the next 90 days.

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Total Time
6AM
I am now more convinced than ever that we are going to be on strike in the next 90 days.

You think we'll be released in two months?

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
Hay Single, can you take a look at that reduction bid that was released last night and tell me in English how many are getting furloughed?

moochild11

Total Time
if you subtract the total number of pilots on the base position list after the reduction from the total number of pilots on the base position list before the reduction then the number is 47