Alaska - G.S. FIRED?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This just out

The purpose of this message is to provide a staffing update. Today a reduction bid with a March effective date was posted in the resource centers. At this time, I have asked Flight Crew Administration to defer the final staffing calculation until January. To date, the original estimate of pilot furloughs has been reduced from over 150 pilots to less than 80 pilots through reduced bid blocks, extended leave of absences, and early outs. It is my hope that continued efforts to develop a longer term reduced bid block program will even further reduce these numbers.

Although downsizing due to cyclical or market driven adjustments has long been a part of the airline industry, I know none of you entered this business with either an expectation or desire to endure these setbacks. Having been furloughed three times in my airline career I am very sensitive to the furlough issue and I want to assure you that the necessary block hour reductions that drove this furlough is an effort to ensure the long-term health of our company.

It is in every employees best interest to get our airline back on the path of growth and prosperity. In the interim, let`s continue to work together with the objective of getting everyone back on property and in the left seat.

It is in every employees best interest to get our airline back on the path of growth and prosperity. In the interim, let`s continue to work together with the objective of getting everyone back on property and in the left seat.

I wonder if GB thinks an engaged pilot group would help with this?

Plus I think it will be awhile getting everyone back on property if we're all coming back to the left seat...maybe that's their next cost cutting measure...single pilot ops, or better yet, a 50 hour wonder from China in the right seat.:p

Last edited:
Where are we? Stockholm?

To date, the original estimate of pilot furloughs has been reduced from over 150 pilots to less than 80 pilots through reduced bid blocks, extended leave of absences, and early outs. It is my hope that continued efforts to develop a longer term reduced bid block program will even further reduce these numbers.

Does the Stockholm Syndrome still work if you're aware of it?

Some nice highlights from SEC 8-K with respect to G.S.

Executive have mutually agreed to continue Executive’s employment with Alaska on different terms and conditions "

Executive will receive a final paycheck representing all unpaid salary earned through the Separation Date plus a lump sum payment equal to six (6) weeks salary for accrued but unpaid vacation. Executive will also receive seventeen monthly payments of $23,350 less applicable taxes and other withholdings.

Executive shall be paid $275,000 on January 31, 2009 and $275,000 on January 31, 2010, subject in each case to applicable tax withholding.

Health Benefits. At Executive election, which shall be made on or prior to the Separation Date, Alaska shall either (i) pay Executive, within twenty (20) days after the Separation Date, a lump sum equal to $36,493.20 or (ii) continue medical coverage for Executive and his eligible dependents at the levels in effect as of the Effective Date for the period commencing on the Separation Date and ending on December 31, 2010.

Travel Privileges. Executive shall receive online travel privileges and Alaska Airlines Boardroom privileges at the same level received by Executive while an employee through December 31, 2010. All travel privileges referenced in this paragraph shall cease as of December 31, 2010 except that following December 31, 2010, Executive shall be considered a retired officer for purposes of retiree travel and will receive C4/T4 boarding priority as a retiree, and lifetime top tier status (currently MVP Gold) in Alaska’s frequent flyer program, per Alaska’s retiree travel policy.

This piece of work deserves a flat of cardboard only. If I got fired all I'd get is a swift kick in the a$$ on the way out and most likely not a ride home. And watch - he'll show up at DAL as the new VP..JOKE!!

Baja.

Executive have mutually agreed to continue Executive’s employment with Alaska on different terms and conditions "

Executive will receive a final paycheck representing all unpaid salary earned through the Separation Date plus a lump sum payment equal to six (6) weeks salary for accrued but unpaid vacation. Executive will also receive seventeen monthly payments of $23,350 less applicable taxes and other withholdings.

Executive shall be paid $275,000 on January 31, 2009 and $275,000 on January 31, 2010, subject in each case to applicable tax withholding.

Health Benefits. At Executive election, which shall be made on or prior to the Separation Date, Alaska shall either (i) pay Executive, within twenty (20) days after the Separation Date, a lump sum equal to $36,493.20 or (ii) continue medical coverage for Executive and his eligible dependents at the levels in effect as of the Effective Date for the period commencing on the Separation Date and ending on December 31, 2010.

Travel Privileges. Executive shall receive online travel privileges and Alaska Airlines Boardroom privileges at the same level received by Executive while an employee through December 31, 2010. All travel privileges referenced in this paragraph shall cease as of December 31, 2010 except that following December 31, 2010, Executive shall be considered a retired officer for purposes of retiree travel and will receive C4/T4 boarding priority as a retiree, and lifetime top tier status (currently MVP Gold) in Alaska’s frequent flyer program, per Alaska’s retiree travel policy.

It's amazing these guys even show up to work. Two years worth of medical and travel benefits! What a joke. I wouldn't do jack either...get fired...and then make more money in two years than most at Alaska make in 20 years. Wow! Gee...I wonder why all this info isn't posted on AlaskasWorld!

Last edited:
The reason why he has this stuff is that he NEGOTIATED it into his contract. Hopefully we can take a lesson from this guy in OUR negotiations. I was watching espn this morning and someone was gettting pissy that Sabbathia was getting $160 mill from the Yankees and saying how ridiculous that amount was in this economy....the fact is though...the yankees (and I f'n hate the yankees), the city of New York, and New york fans are GIVING him this money b/c that's what his services (aparently) are worth.

How much are WE as pilots worth??? until we answer that question, then all we can do is tip our hat to GS b/c he had at least the foresight to negotiate this into HIS contract. (in no way does this imply that I respect a single thing about GS, except his negotiating skillz)

Mookie

This piece of work deserves a flat of cardboard only. If I got fired all I'd get is a swift kick in the a$$ on the way out and most likely not a ride home. And watch - he'll show up at DAL as the new VP..JOKE!!

Baja.

Baja... not funny... not funny at all...

So he gets to stay bellied up to a virtual trough? Suh-weet! Where do I sign up?

Latest resources

Back