Alaska Furloughs 32 on January 5th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Link?

Yes, the economy is not too great, but we're in a much better position than many other airlines. When will they realize the sky really is not falling?

Warrent Buffett wrote an op-ed to the new york times about a month ago to your point...

I paraphrase...

"When everyone is greedy you should be afraid...when everybody is afraid you should be greedy."

I think Alaska is sqaundering a rare opportunity to steal some markets from the weaker carriers. These are the times it is an advantage to have a conservative balance sheet and I feel like we are letting the opportunity slip away. We are giving our competitors breathing room when we should be out hammering nails in coffins.

later

Qcappy is right. However, I've heard on the line that the Gravedigger has been telling F/Os, "We can't make money with the -700."

FWIW.

This AAG stuff is just BS. We are getting the same fun and exciting stuff as you guys are getting. The 69 furloughs at QX are all going to be gone in Jan. The all Q400 stuff is on hold due to not being able to get rid of any RJ.
There was a post on our website saying that AAG is anticipating a $89 milion profit for 2009. Isn't that grea the QX and AS are going to be having pilots on the street while Bill/Jeff and clan are going to get big enough bonuses to cover all of the pilots on furlough.
On contract news here at QX, mgmt and the union are meeting every week until the end of the year to try and get a TA. The union says that mgmt is gung-hoe on finding a TA very soon. My opinion: before Obama comes in the office.
All this is straight BS the whole upper mgmt stuff is crap. They don't care about anyone but themselves. Us as a group need to stick together and show mgmt our power.

Flew with a guy that had G.S. on the jump. G.S. said that we are about 175 guys over staffed. Take out the guys that retire, on long term leave, etc. and that is how many left we have to cut. He thought only 15-20 guys would take the retirement deal and that the rest of the required number to cut would get letters in JAN effective FEB. Made it clear that the company take on guys bidding down to 75 hours to save guys from getting cut, "Just proves guys are willing to take a 13% pay cut". Also said it was a long term cut as this summer was not going to rampup very big and the staffing would be OK.

Latest resources

Back